TP-Link vs Asus

danielhowk
Which brand is better for wireless router ? 

for asus i heard RT-AC66U is probably the best for its range.

im looking about 180-200$ budget for router.

and a good pci-e adapter to go with it.

any recommendation thanks

tp-link is ridonkulously cheap, but you get what you pay for... which aint much..

i have two tp-link routers, and a friend of mine has a tp-link pci-e wifi card.

all of them are absolute junk...

tp-link is ridonkulously cheap, but you get what you pay for... which aint much..

I have a TP-Link wireless card that I love that I also had @ buy and he literally quintupled his internet speed... anecdotal I know but that doesn't make all their stuff crap. However I have no clue if their routers are any good if I'm honest.

Which brand is better for wireless router ? 
for asus i heard RT-AC66U is probably the best for its range.
im looking about 180-200$ budget for router.
and a good pci-e adapter to go with it.
any recommendation thanks

I have the this TP-Link and have zero complaints about its range and compatibility. However the Asus router you mentioned Philosophy also happens to own and we've been troubleshooting it as of recent so I would say spend the extra $40 or so and get this: http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00FB45SI4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443932516&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+dual+band+router

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I have a TP-Link wireless card that I love that I also had @ buy and he literally quintupled his internet speed... anecdotal I know but that doesn't make all their stuff crap. However I have no clue if their routers are any good if I'm honest.

should say that friend refused to take any advice on antenna placement...

which from my experience can give more difference than a good or bad card.

i'd recommend getting a card with an antenna on a wire tho, because if desk placement is bad, those little antennas sit behind the farraday cage that is your computer...

should say that friend refused to take any advice on antenna placement...

which from my experience can give more difference than a good or bad card.

i'd recommend getting a card with an antenna on a wire tho, because if desk placement is bad, those little antennas sit behind the farraday cage that is your computer...

Can attend

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I have the AC68U and it seems to be a solid router. I'd go for the AC66U over a tp-link. Along with the AC68U router I have a PCE-AC66 which is one of Asus's pcie network cards. The router is right next to my computer and according to the Network Connection status I have a speed of 1.3Gbps. I don't know if that means anything but its a really solid wifi card. The router has a great range and I can pick up its signal from 1-2 houses away. Would back that router anyday.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I tried a DSL-AC68U about 6 months ago when my internet was having issues as I wanted to use its mobile phone connectivity.  I actually really liked the control I had over the DSL, I could change the SNR that the router would maintain and it would even do it automatically to compensate for the problems we were having. The mobile connection however was garbage, it didn't work. I bought a specifically compatible dongle but then it would just drop out every 5 minutes, it wasn't usable. The wifi speeds were decent, I saw around 300Mbit/s at 120 feet but the transfer was a bit choppy it wasn't a nice consistent 25MB/s it did have quite a few drops and while this didn't interupt video streaming it was a tad underwhelming really for a AC1900 capable router. If I was going to sum it up I would say the router is flaky. I had a lot of problems with its software and configuring it felt hit and miss.

So I sent it back and got a netgear R6900 instead which is the competitor at the same AC1900 speeds. It achieves its about 900mbit/s connections and about 500mbit/s at the same 120 foot position and its consistent with very few drop outs. Its worse with a mobile phone dongle than the Asus, that just doesn't work at all with DD-WRT installed but there is no doubt in my mind its a significantly better wifi router but a less capable device overall.

I have the this TP-Link and have zero complaints about its range and compatibility. However the Asus router you mentioned Philosophy also happens to own and we've been troubleshooting it as of recent so I would say spend the extra $40 or so and get this: http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00FB45SI4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443932516&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+dual+band+router

Can attend

I have the AC68U and it seems to be a solid router. I'd go for the AC66U over a tp-link. Along with the AC68U router I have a PCE-AC66 which is one of Asus's pcie network cards. The router is right next to my computer and according to the Network Connection status I have a speed of 1.3Gbps. I don't know if that means anything but its a really solid wifi card. The router has a great range and I can pick up its signal from 1-2 houses away. Would back that router anyday.

I tried a DSL-AC68U about 6 months ago when my internet was having issues as I wanted to use its mobile phone connectivity.  I actually really liked the control I had over the DSL, I could change the SNR that the router would maintain and it would even do it automatically to compensate for the problems we were having. The mobile connection however was garbage, it didn't work. I bought a specifically compatible dongle but then it would just drop out every 5 minutes, it wasn't usable. The wifi speeds were decent, I saw around 300Mbit/s at 120 feet but the transfer was a bit choppy it wasn't a nice consistent 25MB/s it did have quite a few drops and while this didn't interupt video streaming it was a tad underwhelming really for a AC1900 capable router. If I was going to sum it up I would say the router is flaky. I had a lot of problems with its software and configuring it felt hit and miss.

So I sent it back and got a netgear R6900 instead which is the competitor at the same AC1900 speeds. It achieves its about 900mbit/s connections and about 500mbit/s at the same 120 foot position and its consistent with very few drop outs. Its worse with a mobile phone dongle than the Asus, that just doesn't work at all with DD-WRT installed but there is no doubt in my mind its a significantly better wifi router but a less capable device overall.

you guys prefer Asus over Tp-link ? 

For the router probably Asus but the wifi card I would buy that TP-link I linked another 10 times again.

For the router probably Asus but the wifi card I would buy that TP-link I linked another 10 times again.

wouldnt it be better to get both  the same brand . worried about compability issue. and isnt it be better if both by the same brand ?

wouldnt it be better to get both  the same brand . worried about compability issue. and isnt it be better if both by the same brand ?

Nope. There's little to no chance of that being a realistic thing. 

Nope. There's little to no chance of that being a realistic thing. 

I have a TP-Link powerline ethernet adapter kit and it works fine...

planning to buy PCE-AC68 and router AC68-U 

thats all great right ? anything better for its price range ? or this is probably the best there is for its price range  ?

I bought a tplink wifi extender a year or two ago and it was truly awful. I just have the company tagged in my brain from reviews and personal experience as cheap and awful.

I buy almost exclusively from TP Link and I have found the performance to be outstanding for the price. Never had any problems (that weren't from my stupidity). I've also seen businesses using TP Link equipment. Overall I've had a better experience with TP Link than with Netgear (who I had to deal with in the past).

Can't comment on ASUS.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

I'm running a D-Link DAP-2695 AirPremier (http://us.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/wireless-ac1750-simultaneous-dual-band-poe-access-point/) pared with a P-LINKs Archer T8E (http://www.tp-link.de/products/details/?categoryid=3212&model=Archer+T8E) and get a rocksolid 866 MBit/s speed. There is only one wall in between, but still not to bad.

The D-Link access point has a good biuld quallity and it's worth the price in my oppinion. But Asus may also make good stuff.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

I have a TP-Link powerline ethernet adapter kit and it works fine...

powerline adapters seem to be something TP-link is very good at...

i have a pair of tp-link "green" powerlans, and a pair of -insert chinese brand here- powerlans.

the chinese powerlans are for the settop box, and are in a different subnet.

the tp-link powerlans used to bring the LAN enviroment to the exact same spot as the other powerlans, both of them following the exact same cable.

chinese brand: 5-8Mbit if lucky with insane ping

tp-link: 30-50Mbit with almost negligable ping.

It has to be Asus. I grabbed an RT-AC87U back when they first came out and its been awesome after some initial software teething issues. I have a massive and very diverse LAN that is constantly in use by something pumping vast amounts of data through it... no problems.

The only contender I can see for these at the consumer level would be Netgear... else you move up a bracket and get an enterprise solution.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

This will crush any Asus/TP-Link shit ;)

Where's the sources for that so far subjective statement?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Where's the sources for that so far subjective statement?

This isn't shitty consumer grade stuff, this is business grade stuff...

There isn't really many that tests this stuff...

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

This isn't shitty consumer grade stuff, this is business grade stuff...

That doesn't mean anything. It's very cheap for 'business grade' in any event.

There isn't really many that tests this stuff...

Therefore your statement was based purely on opinion and not on any fact.

That doesn't mean anything. It's very cheap for 'business grade' in any event.

Therefore your statement was based purely on opinion and not on any fact.

Yes it is cheap for business grade, that is basically what that company bases itself on...

Well, opinion and experience...

The Unifi AC access point has made me like my life more.

The quote was from Linus...

Yes it is cheap for business grade, that is basically what that company bases itself on...

Well, opinion and experience...

The quote was from Linus...

Well now that changes everything; if it is Linus who has spoken the words about it then it has to be awesome. OP your conundrum has been solved, look no further and have faith in the word of our lord and master! Hail Linus.

- Hallowed are the followers of Linus.

Well now that changes everything; if it is Linus who has spoken the words about it then it has to be awesome. OP your conundrum has been solved, look no further and have faith in the word of our lord and master! Hail Linus.

- Hallowed are the followers of Linus.

lol, there is no need to be sarcastic, but I work with theese (and other business grade products) every day, and at home/on my freetime I help people with problems (both on forums and IRL) I have also tried/tested numerous of consumer grade products. What I've found out is that most consumer grade product is almost apple grade overpriced. The reason I recommend those business grade product is that I want people to get the best possible final result, I don't get any money whatsoever to write this, lol

That is why I don't understand why you feel the need to be so toxic and sarcastic. You are the reason why many people don't even care to write on forums like this one!