Maximus VIII Hero Freezeing (ACPI error?)

xXDeltaXx

Hey, trying this here as well as the ROG Forum...

Hi, I've just upgraded from a 7+ year old machine, so I may be a little rusty when it comes to trying to problem solve the following...

When I'm in game (Alien Isolation, occasionally GTA V, so far not X-COM), I'm seeing the occasional system freeze.
I have to do a hard reset to clear the error, windows boots OK and it's like nothing has went wrong.
Checking the event log, I'm seeing the following error, which I think is related (it is the last error I can find before the "system lost power" one, from the restart):
Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5).
After a bit of googleing, I'm still not 100% sure what this is.

System specs;
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero,
CPU: Intel 6700K (no overclocks),
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2133 (4x 8GB),
Storage: 512GB 850 Pro SSD as Boot, 2x 4TB WD RED Pro in RAID 1 via the onboard Intel controller
GPU: ASUS Strix 980Ti (no overclocks)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000P2

Motherboard BIOS is up to date, windows is up to date, all drivers are up to date...

Any ideas...?

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

I'm having a similar issue

System specs;
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII GENE,
CPU: Intel 6700K (no overclocks),
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4 2400 

Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB AHCI, 

GPU: EVGA 580 Classified 
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 g2

Event Viewer message before each "Syestem shut down was unexpected" read:

"The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

ACPI

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table"

Having the exact same issue here.

My specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero,

CPU: Intel 6700K 4.0 GHz
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400MHz
Storage: 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 1TB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDD
GPU: EVGA 980ti SLI (x2)
PSU: EVGA 850 ATX12V

I've called ASUS and they told me one of my drivers weren't installed and that I should unplug every component and try plugging them back in one by one until the error comes back. I've tried it. Still completely freezing my system. Every time it freezes I'm getting the ACPI 5 Event ID 56 error RIGHT Before it. 

I've searched on Microsofts forums and found that this happens when a motherboard isn't 100% ACPI compliant. People have fixed this in the past with a updated bios flash. The people on ASUS' phone line clearly don't know what's going on, but people have been calling them about this issue for the past month. I've tried registering on the ASUS ROG Forums (I saw OP's post there as well) trying to give some feedback but they've had my account "Waiting for moderation approval for forum posting" for a day now. Anyone else having any luck?

Not had anything back from their support, but I guess it is "aim to be within 48 hours". Have just tweeted to JJ - not sure how likely that there will be a response of substance (is only Twitter), but still...

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

Not had anything back from their support, but I guess it is "aim to be within 48 hours". Have just tweeted to JJ - not sure how likely that there will be a response of substance (is only Twitter), but still...

If you hear anything please update here and ROG Boards. I'll post there as soon as they let me, I appreciate it. I tried calling them again, but it was unfortuitous. 

No worries - I've got a small update - new BIOS revision is out; they've told me to try that. I shall get it installed and let you know :)

No worries - I've got a small update - new BIOS revision is out; they've told me to try that. I shall get it installed and let you know :)

Downloaded and flashed the bios. No longer getting the ACPI Error or freezes :) I hope all of you have similar experiences.

Yeah, still getting the freezes...

As it stands, I've just responded to Andy (the technical support contact).

I have updated my BIOS to the revision that you linked... the crashes / system freezes are still continuing. (possibly to a slightly lesser extent, possibly the usage conditions have not stressed the system in the same way). I'm using Wolfenstein: The New Order, as it generated the system freeze a few times in succession yesterday.
As for the PSU, it is a brand new EVGA 1000w Supernova - so should be more than ample for the system. I have double checked my settings, and can confirm that everything is set to automatic in the BIOS with regards to any overclocking or suchlike - I've not carried out any tweaks as of yet. Although, another forum member with the same issue has reported that he isn't getting them any more with that new BIOS, so I guess it's along the right lines.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/460787-maximus-viii-hero-freezeing-acpi-error/
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77522-Maximus-VIII-Hero-Freezeing-%28ACPI-error-%29

I have noticed that the Event log does have other entries with the same error - as far as I know these have not resulted in system freezing, only the times it occurs during gaming (I admit that may be more opinion than fact).
Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
Product Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Event ID: 56
Event Source: Application Popup
Locale ID: 2057.
General details state "Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device (5)."

If that contributes anything of use...

From Andy:

"I would like to suggest CMOS resetting your motherboard to be sure that the motherboard is completely restored to defaults and verify once more if the issue persists.

Most likely the error described might show an issue with either the IRQ of the motherboard, or bandwith allocation while under stress, even though such issues usually get resolved by BIOS updates, it would be also recommendable to discuss with your retailer regarding assessment of the product and warranty claim if necessary."

Reset the CMOS, problem persists...

I also tried Memtest 86 - no faults found...

A post on the ROG forum suggested removing the ASUS audio driver and letting windows detect and install... so, I shall be trying that next. (I have new headphones on this PC, and there is a bit of a background noise at times when there isn't an audio source playing, so maybe there is something to this...)

I did as suggested on the ROG forum; remove the Realtek driver and let Windows install a generic one... no freezes as of yet... So, that is looking to be the issue. Will feed that back to Andy and see what he suggests.

same issue with different asus board.

Asus z170-a

32g Corsair Vengence LPX 2133

SSD OZC vertex 4 (from old setup)

Win10 pro

Ive tried all bioses available for my mobo even, ill try using generic sound drivers and hope that helps :)

still no crashes after removing realtek sound drivers and running with generic windows ones, that does seem to have fixed it :)

just had another crash with the same error, but its the first one since yesterday, so removing sound drivers did have some impact.

Hey, going to link the ROG thread - as there seems to be a bit more background info there... seems to be a Microsoft / Intel issue with the Z170 boards in general...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77522-Maximus-VIII-Hero-Freezeing-%28ACPI-error-%29&p=544243&viewfull=1#post544243

Will keep this updated as the ROG one as best I can...

• 2 weeks later...

So, a little advancement... I'm not happy about the service / course of events - so I'm partially letting you know of the current status, and partially after some feedback as to what (if anything) I should do next.

After uninstalling the Realtek driver and allowing Windows to install generic ones, I have had a lot less freezes... the error has still be there in the Event Log, but not had to forcibly restart the PC.

I did have a freeze in GTA IV on the 26th... so, I decided to get in touch with Microsoft to see if they had any comments (ROG forum suggesting that it is a Microsoft / Intel issue).

- 1st rep just disconnected after about a couple of minutes (I have the communication).

- 2nd rep said that he could fix the issue, but is not under the usual service (or something like that) - i.e. have to pay for a years service subscription... Well, temporary madness descended and I did pay the money and see what he could do.

He proceeded to turn everything off in Msconfig, and a few other things, including msdt (support diagnostic tool). The system went unstable - took forever to shut down (I had to manually do it after about 10 mins), he resumed and went back to msdt and ran a few analysis tools, once they had completed, he tried to download something else, it hung for a while, then I realised that the PC had lost network connection and I had to restart the PC. (I do not have the communication due to what he was doing)

- 3rd rep told me that the second one had closed the call of as solved... spent about 50 mins doing what appeared to be nothing (or the give the benefit of the doubt, doing it off screen)... then reported that it was sorted.

So, after all of that, I am still on the generic sound driver, I have not experienced any freezes, I have only had a couple of instances of the ACPI error occurring - on / around starting the PC...

Is it "solved"...? Should I revert back to the Realtek sound driver? Should I complain & attempt to get my money back? Obviously, I do not approve of this being the only fix - should not have to pay to get your PC working, but it may be something to go back to ASUS with and get them to fix the issue / get Microsoft to put a fix out.

Thoughts...?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Some 'advancement'...

I ended up redoing the PC... BIOS was already up to date, I installed Windows, then the ASUS drivers ONLY from the disk.
I downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS's website and used them to update the ones from the driver disk... then used Windows update to get the PC / Windows install up-to-date.

Now, I am running all of the correct drivers (inclusive of the Realtek sound driver) & haven't had any crashes / freezes as of yet.

• 5 months later...

Hi, just a quick update - prompted by a message from Bahz on the ROG forum...

I updated to the latest BIOS (1402) around the end of Jan / beginning of Feb... so far I've not had any ACPI Event 56 errors show up since the 11th of Feb (not sure when I updated exactly, so there may have been one or two since the update).
However, there have been little to few of those errors, and more importantly, I don't believe I've had a freeze / crash while running that that BIOS.

Incidentally, I've responded to Bahz's request for an copy of the event 56 error - so, hopefully that may give some insight as to what the issue was.

It is worth noting that I've not applied any overclocks or anything as of yet - so I will be back after I've got things set as I want them (plus a new install of Windows) & will let you know if I have any issues.

• 4 months later...

Thanks so much for the insight here. I have updated my bios on my asrock Z170 extreme6 to version 2.60 and updated the realtek drivers to version 7543 and it has fixed my hangs on shutdown, and these ACPI errors and other USB type errors from hcmon. System shuts down fine now.

This is a bit weird, as i have been running this mobo since XMAS 2015 and only in the last month have had problems shutting down. So something changed i think at the OS level. My OS is windows 7 x64 with the asrock UEFI patch. HOwever my event log is clear now, so it was one of those two things, the bios update or the realtek driver update.

Just posting an update. It was aviria antivirus that was making my machine hang on shutdown. Absolutely no problems now for months after uninstalling that software. The problems eventually came back with the bios update and driver update alone.

Edited by acpi