New router/modem or 2 in one.

oskar23

Hi there,

For a long time I struggle with wifi problems. I am connected on my smartphone/laptop and once I chose website I want go to, it takes few seconds before website is ready to use. Thus, I need buy new router ( I think this is a problem ) or both router and modem in 1. Now, I have belkin router N300 which is $30 worth. I have Time Warner Cable modem which I rented ubee ddm3521. What would you suggest to change? Both? My current speed is 50mb/s download and 5 upload.

Are you able to test without the router, and just the modem?

Plug directly into laptop/desktop Ethernet and power cycle the modem. See if that is faster. What is your ping when connected directly verus wireless. ?

It could also be the websites too. Linus Tech Tips forum takes about 4 seconds to load on my 120Mbps internet and $300 worth of modem and router connected via Gigabit.

You may also want to use a different DNS. I use OpenDNS or Google's DNS. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

since most modems are also routers i would recommend to buy a new modem, just make sure the wall input is the correct type and go for something in the £60 price range 

I could try to connect laptop to router but what's the point? I have problem with wifi. On cable everything is fine.

So now I tested my network on smartphone when I noticed  that page loads a lot slower than on 4G LTE. Ping is 212, download 6.82Mbps!!!!

I am not familiar what DNS is.

I could try to connect laptop to router but what's the point? I have problem with wifi. On cable everything is fine.

So now I tested my network on smartphone when I noticed  that page loads a lot slower than on 4G LTE. Ping is 212, download 6.82Mbps!!!!

I am not familiar what DNS is.

Have you tried changing your WiFi channel to 1,6, or 11? perhaps the channel you are on is over crowded. If you do determine you want a new Wireless Access point, just buy one of those. You shouldn't need a whole new router, modem, or anything else.

Well,  I changed channel to 6 and i noticed improvement in speed. I mean from 15mbps to over 37. I will check how fast pages load. Do you have any other ideas what can i change?

Well,  I changed channel to 6 and i noticed improvement in speed. I mean from 15mbps to over 37. I will check how fast pages load. Do you have any other ideas what can i change?

As far as WiFi goes there's not too much you can try. A few common things would be to ensure you are using the channel that has the least competition for airtime in your area. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels available in north America. You may want to consider the placement of your AP as well. If possible it is best to place it in an open area near the centre of your house, or closer to the areas you plan on using it most. Obstructions such as walls can also hinder performance. Wireless signals don't pass through metals, pretty much at all, so ensuring you don't have any metal directly near the AP will keep the signal at its strongest.

Router and modem are next to me and pages load too long comparing to 4g lte. I think i should try to buy new device. If it doesn't work I will send it back. Please recommended something.

well.... upgrading your wifi router every year or two is always good...

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

I have this router for over 3 years. If I cant fix issue I dont see any other choice than changing it for new one.

I have this router for over 3 years. If I cant fix issue I dont see any other choice than changing it for new one.

surfboard 6141 for the modem

and a asus ac56u for the router (with asus merlin firmware)

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Everything should work once I remove old modem/ router and connect new one? I remember when i get modem from time warner cable i had to chat woth them online because i didn't have internet.

Can I just buy router for now?

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered router asus rt ac56r and now I have problems with cable! It disconnects me on my laptop and PC. It's worse than it was on my old router. What can I do to make sure that everything is set as it should be?

So I ordered router asus rt ac56r and now I have problems with cable! It disconnects me on my laptop and PC. It's worse than it was on my old router. What can I do to make sure that everything is set as it should be?

update laptop drivers

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ez98g8mnfj9qtd7/RT-AC56U_378.55_0.zip

new firmware for the router to

Can i install it to R router's version?

yes...the R and the W versions are the same as the U version

http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

Asuswrt-merlin is available for the following routers:

RT-N16
RT-N66U
RT-AC66U
RT-AC56U
RT-AC68U
RT-AC68P
RT-AC87
(note: the U, R and W variants are all supported, as they are the exact same hardware and firmware, only different marketing SKUs or different case color)

I installed new firmware. There are still the same problems. The icon on taskbar shows that I have internet on my PC but sometimes pages don't load. I have to refresh it several times. Where might be the problem?

i340gAJ.png

I installed new firmware. There are still the same problems. The icon on taskbar shows that I have internet on my PC but sometimes pages don't load. I have to refresh it several times. Where might be the problem?

update the drivers now

but which one? I checked my network card drivers and I have newest driver.

but which one? I checked my network card drivers and I have newest driver.

what card you got

and what driver