Moving to a new house, have the option for new cables.

pureGold

I can route new ethernet cables around the house as an option, so I was wondering if I should go with Cat5e or spend a little more for Cat6? I do not know if I will move up to gigabit speeds in the near future, but it could also be better to "future proof" things. Opinions, thoughts? 

Stop using the F-word "future proof" there's no such thing!

I you're willing to spend the extra money get eh Cat6 but if you can't really afford it just get the Cat5e.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Go Cat6e and include redundancy, since it never hurts to have redundancy

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Stop using the F-word "future proof" there's no such thing!

I you're willing to spend the extra money get eh Cat6 but if you can't really afford it just get the Cat5e.

Sorry... I know what you mean by no such thing though haha

Go Cat6e and include redundancy, since it never hurts to have redundancy

What do you mean by redundancy?

cat6 is fairly expensive

I'm not sure about the price in bulk per 100m or any length you need

while 1gbit seems slow nowdays but overall you can transfer hundreds of gigs within minutes with 1gbit bandwith

cat5e is so cheap now. last time I got 30m patch cable for about $3

What do you mean by redundancy?

If the cables will go through your wall, you'll want to have double the cables in case something happens to one.

You'll be using one as your main cable and the other is basically backup

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I can route new ethernet cables around the house as an option, so I was wondering if I should go with Cat5e or spend a little more for Cat6? I do not know if I will move up to gigabit speeds in the near future, but it could also be better to "future proof" things. Opinions, thoughts? 

Just to correct something Cat5e will support gigabit. Cat6 will support 10Gb.

cat6 is fairly expensive

I'm not sure about the price in bulk per 100m or any length you need

while 1gbit seems slow nowdays but overall you can transfer hundreds of gigs within minutes with 1gbit bandwith

cat5e is so cheap now. last time I got 30m patch cable for about $3

Cat6 in bulk sizes isn't really much different than Cat5e. At 1000ft its like $80ish for cat5e and $100-120ish for Cat6. 

Personally I would just go with Cat6 because for minimal extra cash you wont have to replace your wiring in 5-10 years.

You are not guaranteed gigabit with Cat5e over longer distances, or if u are stupid and manage to "stretch" the copper inside the cable (Then u might also get no connection at all)

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Cat6 in bulk sizes isn't really much different than Cat5e. At 1000ft its like $80ish for cat5e and $100-120ish for Cat6. 

Personally I would just go with Cat6 because for minimal extra cash you wont have to replace your wiring in 5-10 years.

yeah, I know that, but in here the price cat6 is 6times more per meter than cat5e

if OP had access to get these cable cheap just get cat6, if you install it yourself then labor cost is about 0

but if you hire someone to do that for you probably it will cost more than the cable it self.

You are not guaranteed gigabit with Cat5e over longer distances, or if u are stupid and manage to "stretch" the copper inside the cable (Then u might also get no connection at all)

To be designated as Cat5e it must be able to carry gigabit traffic at 100 meters. That is the spec and it must meet it. You are guaranteed to get gigabit with Cat5e. Cat6 is rated to carry 1Gbps traffic at the same 100m distance or 10Gbps at 55m (cat6a does 10gbps at 100m). In both specs your are not guaranteed any traffic at all after 100m. And of course if you break the cable you won't get a connection. You can go buy cat7 or fiber and they won't work if you break them either.

To be designated as Cat5e it must be able to carry gigabit traffic at 100 meters. That is the spec and it must meet it. You are guaranteed to get gigabit with Cat5e. Cat6 is rated to carry 1Gbps traffic at the same 100m distance or 10Gbps at 55m (cat6a does 10gbps at 100m). In both specs your are not guaranteed any traffic at all after 100m. And of course if you break the cable you won't get a connection. You can go buy cat7 or fiber and they won't work if you break them either.

So for a brand new house under construction it's better to go for Cat6a? What are the specs on Cat6e and Cat7 at 50m and 100m?

So for a brand new house under construction it's better to go for Cat6a? What are the specs on Cat6e and Cat7 at 50m and 100m?

Cat6e is not a thing it literally does not exist. Some shady companies advertise with it, but there is no defined iso standard of cat6e only cat6 and cat6a. Cat7 is pretty useless in the home and still pretty expensive. It allows 20 and 40Gbps over short distances though. It is slightly better shielded and can deal with electrical interference better if you have to cross it over power lines. I recommend cat6a for most new construction.

Get cat 6a. Standard cat6 isn't much better than cat5e and cat6e isn't even a real standard. Cat6a is my recommendation. It will allow you more flexibility in cabling and will allow for up to 10Gbps connections if you chose to go that route.

Cat6e is not a thing it literally does not exist. Some shady companies advertise with it, but there is no defined iso standard of cat6e only cat6 and cat6a. Cat7 is pretty useless in the home and still pretty expensive. It allows 20 and 40Gbps over short distances though. It is slightly better shielded and can deal with electrical interference better if you have to cross it over power lines. I recommend cat6a for most new construction.

Thanks for the help. On PrimeCables.ca Cat7 roughly double the cost of Cat6a. If one is going to build a million dollar house isn't it better to just go with Cat7? God knows when we'll get to have affordable 40Gbps speeds but it will probably be sooner than the life of the house.

Also what is a "short distance"? Looking at my house plan it seems like the cables won't be any longer than 100ft/30m.

Thanks for the help. On PrimeCables.ca Cat7 roughly double the cost of Cat6a. If one is going to build a million dollar house isn't it better to just go with Cat7? God knows when we'll get to have affordable 40Gbps speeds but it will probably be sooner than the life of the house.

Also what is a "short distance"? Looking at my house plan it seems like the cables won't be any longer than 100ft/30m.

I remember at my school, a company donated 10km Cat7 ^^

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Go Cat6a, not Cat6e.

Cat6e does not exist in the official standards, and so there is no guarantee that Cat6e will perform correctly.

Cat6a can support 10GbE over a longer distance, so it should be capable of 10GbE through an entire home.

Comb it with a brick

It's technically not a part of the spec, so you can't be sure. A lot of times it is in the 15-30m range, but depends on a lot of variables. Cat7 probably isn't worth the cost. It really doesn't have a ton as far as capability over Cat6a, and it stands to be superseeded by Cat8 soon which will have an actual specification for 40Gbps networks. Personally I would go Cat6a.

Cat 6a is the fastest etherent cable there is.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

Linus uses cat 6a cables adn gets 10gb/s with the proper switches.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

It's technically not a part of the spec, so you can't be sure. A lot of times it is in the 15-30m range, but depends on a lot of variables. Cat7 probably isn't worth the cost. It really doesn't have a ton as far as capability over Cat6a, and it stands to be superseeded by Cat8 soon which will have an actual specification for 40Gbps networks. Personally I would go Cat6a.

Whoa. And is CAT8 available? I can already see some listings on Amazon.

Whoa. And is CAT8 available? I can already see some listings on Amazon.

As far as I am aware, no. Last I checked (which has admittedly been a while) the specification was technically still in draft and not yet finalized. It could be that the cable you are seeing is being built by the draft standards or they are just lying hoping someone will pay more for it, you can't really know for sure. Even if they were built to draft standards I wouldn't recommend buying it until the standard is finalized. Things can still change in the standard at this point.