0x80004005 when copying large folder

trylo
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Extended tests do take a lot of time and the larger the capacity of the drive the longer the test will be. The time to test it also depends (to some extend) on your other hardware. 
The S.M.A.R.T. status of both drives does look good and since they passed the tests, they should be safe to use. Malware can be hidden in any files or folders so if you want to be on the safe side, I'd check both of them. 
Do try the array again.

Captain_WD.

Hi!

I'm getting a 0x80004005 error on Windows 8.1 when I try to copy a 680GB folder to a different drive.

All I can find in google is scam "Microsoft certified" fixes...

Please help.

Regards

Trylo

Try copying smaller chunks

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Make sure the destination drive is formatted as NTFS

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Error code 0x80004005

This problem may occur if a file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing. This behavior occurs if one or both of the following conditions are true:

• A third-party backup utility or an antivirus program interferes with the installation of Windows XP.
  • A file that WPA requires is manually modified.

That's just from Microsoft's Support site, and mentions XP, but I'd think it'd stay the same through newer iterations of Windows. 

Check to see if there are previous versions of the files, you'll be able to find that in properties. Though I've never seen a file have a previous version personally. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

~snip~

Hey there trylo,

I would check the health of the source and the destination drives with diagnostic tools provided by the manufacturers. For WD drives that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=CQj6eq
I would also suggest moving over the files on smaller chunks and see which chunk causes the problem and see if there are any corrupted files. you can contact MS's support and see what the guys there have to say about this. Do also check your cables and ports where the drives are connected. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

OK, so copying small chunks works there is one folder that is causing the problem. Can't do anything with it (copying, deleting, changing name).

CrystalDisk shows good health on my drives.

WD diagnostic program doesn't show anything as I have two 2TB Red WD drives in Raid 0. I guess they should have an option to access the drives like CrystalDisk does. Does that make sense?

~snip~

I would try to scan that folder for any malware or other problems. Do check the permissions for this folder and see what's owning it. 
How did you configure the RAID0 (hardware from the motherboard/card or software from disk management or another software program)? You should have no problems scanning drives that are in a software RAID array. 
However, do check where did that folder come from and why don't you have access to it.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Folder was created by myself.

It has 0KB.

I have created RAID0 with motherboard settings, I thought it's better then software configuration in Windows. Was I wrong?

Please find attached folder info and WD Diagnostic info screen shots (first raid array showed there is 2x SSD).

Thank you for helping me figuring it out.

post-8090-0-14451800-1444384551.jpg

post-8090-0-25687500-1444384695.jpg

~snip~

Since It's hardware RAID0 I would suggest to check the manual of the controller and see how you can check the health of the array with it. Otherwise you would need to put apart the array and scan the drives separately. 
Do try to move everything else besides this folder to another place and then reformat the whole array. This should clear any errors and malware that may be on it.

Captain_WD.

OK, I've just ordered two 4TB WD Reds for NAS, so as soon as they arrive I will move the data and scan them separately.

I'll post the results next week.

Cheers!

OK, I've just ordered two 4TB WD Reds for NAS, so as soon as they arrive I will move the data and scan them separately.

I'll post the results next week.

Cheers!

Good luck :) waiting for your update! Do feel free to post back or send me a PM if you have other questions or concerns. :)

Captain_WD

OK, I'm copying the files. Meanwhile I have a question: would creating the array in Windows hurt the performance? I'm not talking about performance of just the hard drives, but in general as the machine is a video editing work station.

~snip~

One of the differences between hardware and software RAID arrays is that the first one is handled by the RAID controller (be that a separate RAID card or the built-in one in the motherboard) while the second is operated by the OS/software which uses part of the computer's resources. I can't really tell how much of your resource would be taken, but I doubt it will have a major impact on the ability of the computer. :)

Captain_WD.

For such a large transfer I would use a program to manage it which can verify, pause, resume, better time estimates etc.

I use SyncBack (free version) regularly for similar large transfers, would recommend :)

So... the extended test took almost 9 hours for two 2TB drives and it passed, SMART from CrystalDisk also looks good (screen shots attached).

Malware is not very plausible. On that drive all I had was footage, no programs...

Any ideas? Is it safe to create the array again?

post-8090-0-98264500-1445033896_thumb.jp

post-8090-0-11607700-1445033902_thumb.jp

~snip~

Extended tests do take a lot of time and the larger the capacity of the drive the longer the test will be. The time to test it also depends (to some extend) on your other hardware. 
The S.M.A.R.T. status of both drives does look good and since they passed the tests, they should be safe to use. Malware can be hidden in any files or folders so if you want to be on the safe side, I'd check both of them. 
Do try the array again.

Captain_WD.