New Build, Thoughts?

Smite
I have the need for some additional storage that will typically be used by 250 users at once. We currently have a San in place taking up a majority of it's current storage I am presenting to expand our storage with this Machine Running FreeNas. It leaves some expandablity. All feedback is welcome. 

For pricing I used Newegg just as a reference and is arbatrary because I would buy from one of my suppliers whos typically below retail so this is just a reference point. 

Total 6738.61

I think WD Reds and Red Pros are made for NAS

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Yeah those r much better drives

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Do you mean these Western Digital RE WD3001FYYG 3TB Seems that WD uses RE as the red equivalent sas enterprise drives.

Or are you saying abandon SAS and go to sata?

those r good otherwise get HGST deskstar drives they are the absolute best NAS drives.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Do you mean these Western Digital RE WD3001FYYG 3TB Seems that WD uses RE as the red equivalent sas enterprise drives.

Or are you saying abandon SAS and go to sata?

Red - NAS

Re - Enterprise Datacenter

Source - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1280

Also just realised theres a Black 2. Sweet.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

-snip-

If you want to go WD, buy the WD RE (SAS or SATA) or SE drives. Red or Red Pros would not be a good idea (At least if you want to fill the whole server up in the future. Reds are safely rated up to 8 bay, and Red Pros are safely rated up to 16 bay). HGST enterprise drives cost an arm and a leg; HGST NAS SATA drives are pretty good too. You can get away with SATA because you're running FreeNAS. If you were running Windows and using a RAID card, then I'd recommend SAS.

I do not see a HBA SAS card. You will need one if you intend to use SAS.

Also, you do not need the Intel RAID expander card if you are buying a SuperMicro chassis. They have a backplane where you only need to feed two SAS cables to it. The backplane itself has a LSI expander onboard. Unless you have the RAID expander card mixed up for a HBA, which means you need to remove the expander and get a proper HBA card. Also, you only need two SAS cables, not six.

Why do you have two boot drives? FreeNAS only needs one.

I would heavily recommend 10Gb/s Ethernet if you can implement it.

Also, looking up your server chassis manual, the backplane (SC836BA-R920B chassis, backplane part: BPN-SAS-836A) appears to be SAS 3Gb/s, not SAS 6Gb/s. You might run into potential bottlenecking in performance using the oldest gen SAS but with hard drives, I don't think you'll get close to bottlenecking. However, this SAS board has four SAS inputs so you could feed four SAS cables to it if you wanted. Surprised Newegg is selling this chassis...everything should be SAS 6Gb/s at least these days. There's also SAS 12Gb/s, but your hard drives will never come close to bottlenecking that, so I would not buy that.

~snip~

Hey there Smite,

The plan seems pretty good and the build should be very powerful and should handle pretty much anything you throw at it. :)
@scottyseng and the others pretty much summed it up for you. I would also not recommend going for regular WD Red drives or WD Red Pro drives if you plan to expand your drive pool over 16 drives. If not - WD Red Pro should be pretty suitable and should deliver great performance and safety to your system. 
If you are looking for Enterprise-class both WD Re and WD Se should do the job. To see which one would be more appropriate it would really depend on if you are looking for a more massive drive pool or heavier and more intense workloads.
Here's info on all four drives:

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On that chassis, you only need two SAS cables (This backplane only has two SAS 6Gb/s inputs...I have the same backplane). Make sure you don't buy the Intel Expander as well.

Good luck with the build though.

I have a 24 bay SuperMicro chassis myself running Windows Server 2012 R2 with a RAID Card. Keep in mind the server will run pretty loud, but I'm sure you have a real server room. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

To update Not getting the Intel Expander. Only getting 2X SAS Cables. Sound isn't an issue it is going into a Data center. But if it is too loud I can get new fans\PSU for it. I was doing a POC with a new Dell Switch recently and before I updated the rom holly crap it was a jet. WD Reds will not go into the build for the reason of sticking to sas across my Data center because I am required to meet or beat certain standards for ISO certification. WD Re seems like the fit. I will start comparing these. The 2 boot drives were for redundancy. 

To update Not getting the Intel Expander. Only getting 2X SAS Cables. Sound isn't an issue it is going into a Data center. But if it is too loud I can get new fans\PSU for it. I was doing a POC with a new Dell Switch recently and before I updated the rom holly crap it was a jet. WD Reds will not go into the build for the reason of sticking to sas across my Data center because I am required to meet or beat certain standards for ISO certification. WD Re seems like the fit. I will start comparing these. The 2 boot drives were for redundancy. 

Yeah, SAS is better, but wow it's expensive (My WD RE SAS drives in my home NAS weren't cheap). I think you should be fine for the noise if it's going into a datacenter (It's going to be loud there anyway). I'd double check redundant boot drives with FreeNAS. I'm not sure if FreeNAS has redundancy on the OS drive itself or not since it pretty much just loads itself to RAM.