What was the first programming language you have learned?

evilarceus

For me, it was Lua. I didn't even realize that I was learning the Lua programming language from the ComputerCraft mod in Minecraft (back when Minecraft was admittedly a good game lol).

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

C# Learning it in my programming class in high school, and apparently it sucks, and it does. some times you just have to re-type something and it will work...

Java when I was about 13. Now I mostly write PHP for work.

lua

then ruby

then java

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

C++ when I was 14 which was like 5 1/2 years ago.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

AutoHotkey was my first coding anything, and I still use it all the time because it's so quick and versatile.  After that it was Python, and right now I'm learning some C.  Later on I want to try lerning Lisp, but that's a ways off.

I did also learn Lua in Computercraft as my first programming language.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Turbo Pascal. I had an old book that my brother gave to me and I went at it. I forgot most of it now though, I wouldn't stand the syntax of it these days...

Pascal and Basic *feels old*

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Pascal..hahahaha.

That language is really old.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Pascal programmers are paid pretty well, from what I've heard, since they're so rare, and because financial institutions can't do without them.

I learned Java when I was 14. It's still the only language I know, but I've just finished OCM certification and will learn C# and C++ soon.  

C# Learning it in my programming class in high school, and apparently it sucks, and it does. some times you just have to re-type something and it will work...

That's not a problem with C#. That's a problem with the IDE you're using. The same thing occasionally happened for me with Java in Eclipse. 

I like java a lot, but recently started working with JavaScript and AngularJS a LOT.

It's more of a framework, but I love angular

ST/GFA BASIC and Assembly for the Motorola 68000

After that Pascal and a lot of more languages...

Ha. Great question.

Basic. And I felt soooo smart cause I busted the 20k memory on my vic 20 with the coolest program

I poked at vb.net while I was really young but started actually programming with python

Python (I did learn HTML / CSS before that, but that's more design), and now C (following college class system). In my free time, improving my python and learning C#.

Pascal..hahahaha.

That language is really old.

It is indeed.

Pascal programmers are paid pretty well, from what I've heard, since they're so rare, and because financial institutions can't do without them.

Hmm... I suppose so, although when I picked up Pascal/Delphi I was a fresh graduate.

In any event my firsts were C/C++ then Java and C# (in that order more or less). I picked up web based stuff around the end of my degree as I was working part time in that field. About a year on from graduation I then returned to Software Engineering where I picked up a large amount of what's currently out there either through necessity or just personal interest.

I'm now enjoying the life of a true generalist... I think one can never have enough knowledge of languages, technologies and methodologies.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I began with Borland pascal, then moved up to the follwing in order Visual Basic 6, Visual Basic .NET, Objective C, Delphi (pascal again :P ), C#, Swift

Fortran 90
!And it was pretty awful

(*,*)

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3