Best Practices for Online Security

colonel_mortis

When a website has a security breach, the effects of the password leak can affect not only your account on that site, but also your account on other sites. While it's not possible to guarantee perfect security, by following these best practices you can dramatically reduce the risk of losing multiple accounts as a result of a breach, whether that is due to a site that has been hacked or malware on your computer.

Key Points

• Use a password manager. I personally use LastPass to manage my passwords, which means that my passwords are stored securely, but also accessible from all my devices (though LastPass premium is required to be able to do that). There are lots of other great password managers out there with different strengths, so pick one that has the features that you need.
    The main argument that I have seen against password managers is that they become a large target, and if they are hacked then you are completely screwed. However, without a password manager, most people will use the same password or collection of passwords across all their accounts. This means that if one of those sites (which are unlikely to put as much effort into security as a dedicated password storage site) is compromised, your password for several/every site has now been leaked. By using a password manager, you reduce the number of weak points from every site that you have an account on to just a single potential weakness. It's not perfect, but it's a massive improvement.
  • Use a unique password for every site that you visit. I cannot emphasise how important this is. This is why password managers are so important - it's impractical to remember loads of passwords, and if you're able to do so then your passwords probably aren't secure enough. A unique password means that if one site gets compromised, you don't need to change your passwords on the other sites, and they will still be secure.
  • Make your passwords long and random, with a combination of letters, numbers and special characters. That way, assuming that the site stores your passwords correctly, even if a database breach does occur, your password is unlikely to be converted back into plain text (because when passwords are stored correctly, the only way to access the plain text is to brute force it, and most people don't have time to leave each password for days when they can just crack the easy ones in minutes). That doesn't mean that you should assume that the password is safe, but it means that you don't have to panic and change the password immediately.
  • Enable two factor authentication where possible to ensure that even if an attacker does get access to your password, for example via a key logger, they still can't access your account because they don't have access to your phone or hardware authentication device. 2FA is a really important tool for protecting your account.

Additional Points

• Change your password regularly. That way, if an attacker does manage to obtain it, they will only be able to use it for a limited time.
  • Regularly audit the security of your account where supported by the site. For example, Google's Security Checkup lets you check all recent logins, all your connected apps, and lets you review your security options. You can also review your security and recent logins on Facebook and Twitter, among other sites.

HTTP/2 203

i have way to many accounts and passwords to go to all of them and change, it would take hours xD maybe when i have a day with nothing to do ill change all my passwords 

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

125ho1i2h5o1i2j4oi1j4oih12oihfowiajfoiwafoiawnofa is my password

dont hack me pls

(i cant use different passwords, ill either lose the list or forget them all :()

lol i have like 8 different passwords, so i look like an idiot when i forget which one i used and im sitting there trying them all xD

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

125ho1i2h5o1i2j4oi1j4oih12oihfowiajfoiwafoiawnofa is my password

dont hack me pls

(i cant use different passwords, ill either lose the list or forget them all :()

That's why you should use a password manager - you use the one massive password that you can remember, then it generates and stores unique passwords for each site.

HTTP/2 203

That's why you should use a password manager - you use the one massive password that you can remember, then it generates and stores unique passwords for each site.

Huh.. I'll take it into consideration but even If i do get hacked I don't really have anything valuable lol

Eh, I don't use a password manager I have a more secure method of writing them down and putting them in a safe and generally memorizing them, though a manger is more convenient, as for changing passwords I don't bother (unless a breach happens like LTT) as I have no credit card info connected to any site via an account. I do the other things though

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Best is to unplug your device, build yourself a faraday cage and lie in the corner.

But then you can't watch kitten videos :'(

HTTP/2 203

Make your passwords long and random

Most services I use dont even allow me to add special characters to my passwords... not even talking about 16 character limit on passwords...

Change your password regularly

That is not so good idea actualy. Changing passwords frequently (especialy difficult ones) makes you start writing them down which increases the risk of someone getting to them.

I dont trust password managers either.. everything is in my head.

I've used the same 6 letter, 2 number password for 15 years and never had an issue.

Some game accounts have a 5 letter password, never an issue either.

It falls down to don't put your info everywhere.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Best is to unplug your device, build yourself a faraday cage and lie in the corner.

Or you could be like my granny - she doesn't own a PC, iPad etc, just a 1990s brick Nokia with a green screen

Or my great aunt, who didn't even have a landline. No change of anyone stealing your passwords then.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Yeah.. Bad habit of making similar passwords. They aren't exactly the same but pretty close.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

But then you can't watch kitten videos :'(

And funny car crashes, featuring a russian.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I've used the same 6 letter, 2 number password for 15 years and never had an issue.

Some game accounts have a 5 letter password, never an issue either.

It falls down to don't put your info everywhere.

But then when a site is compromised (just as this site was last week), an attacker now has access to your password for all sites, and that is really not what you want to happen.

I strongly advise that you change your passwords because it is quite possible that your credentials were included in the recent breach, and if they were, your password is now known to the attacker.

HTTP/2 203

I just use unique passwords for the sites I care about, like my gmail or youtube accounts

pretty much everything else wouldn't make much of a difference to me if it got hacked

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I still don't trust me passwords to be saved online, i rather have it on a plain text and and manage it locally, yes i spent a whole day changing them to all different passwords, but i rather save them locally on a notepad them managing it online. that's just me. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I've been using LastPass chrome extension. It's working real great.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I still don't trust me passwords to be saved online, i rather have it on a plain text and and manage it locally, yes i spent a whole day changing them to all different passwords, but i rather save them locally on a notepad them managing it online. that's just me. 

I understand that. (I trust LastPass and its encryption/multi factor auth, but, I do understand where you come from)

But for you any anyone else who doesn't trust online........At the very least, use a program like keepass, which is 100% offline, but will also add some needed functionality (generating passwords, excrypted password list, etc). http://keepass.info/features.html

All it would take is a malicious virus, leaving your PC unlocked, PC stolen, keylogger, and there you go. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

This is an interesting site too: https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Turns out it would take a desktop a number I didn't even know existed to brute force my passwords.... 

On a serious note, my way is KeePass and KeePass portable on my USB (only ever need to access my accounts from my PC and at college). 

As someone that had about two passwords used on god knows how many accounts, I thank the lord I adopted the above approach a month before the breach (was always hesitant due to the practicality of it); otherwise pretty much everything, including my PayPal, would be deaded. 

Then use Keepass. It stores your crypt locally and you can even produce key file to authenticate with your password.

I personally use KeePass. I'd rather have some inconvenience than have another part that could go wrong (browser support of LastPass). See article here.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

As a student in an InfoSec program, I initially used KeePass 2.0 to handle my passwords, but soon I realized KeePass became unreliable as it's password database would always corrupt. Twice that happen and my peer to peer sync program kept an archive version in case something goes wrong. Many of the infosec seniors and graduates made the move to lastpass even after the breach because it was still secure than any options and guranteed that your data's integrity is safe. LastPass might have faced a breach but it was up to date in security procedures than you think a newer ("We haven't been hack so we are secure") competitor might have been. The hackers were able to get away with a hashed passwords and encrypted password vaults, where the hash or vault allone will take hundreds of billion years to crack per person.

These companies never see your data, just that you handed them a garbled mess of data that is your passwords.

And if you think it's not enough than use two factor authentication as then the hackers would have kidnap you for whatever you used to verify those.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.