5.5 Mile Wifi?

It's clunky wired solution is better than a wireless solution that will not work at all :P

Until it stops working... good luck finding the break in the line. ;)

Wireless would be far easier to use with less points of failure. And assuming OPs mum is not a pro CSGO player any latency difference would probably be unnoticeable to her. :lol:

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

Wireless Network Engineer here 

Use this kit https://www.ubnt.com/broadband/ (look at the AirMax section, you can get a nice cheap point to point or use an ourdoor sector antenna if you want) that'll do 5.5Mi easily at US outdoor power regulations.

We have links about 2-3mi in the UK and we have lower power restrictions. As long as visibility is good, you shouldn't have an issue.

Kit is fairly cheap, we can do a point to point for a couple of hundred quid (kit should be cheaper in America, I believe). If you have any Q's or need any advice let me know!

agreed with this. Or could look into some Mikrotik options not sure if cheaper but is another option 

Dream on little dreamer.

agreed with this. Or could look into some Mikrotik options not sure if cheaper but is another option 

ubnt is way easier for a noob ;)

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

ubnt is way easier for a noob ;)

Can't agree more - with years of experience with both, Ubiquiti definitely simplified things. Mikrotik is complicated, but cheap and cheerful.

If you just want a nice and stable link without breaking the bank, Ubiquiti is the way to go!

Can't agree more - with years of experience with both, Ubiquiti definitely simplified things. Mikrotik is complicated, but cheap and cheerful.

If you just want a nice and stable link without breaking the bank, Ubiquiti is the way to go!

Both of them has really nice forums with loads of support if u need it, which is really nice. UBNT is plug and play compared to mikrotik ^^

Forget about it.

Been there, done that. 2.2 Miles.

320~ms ping, max 0.5mbps.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Forget about it.

Been there, done that. 2.2 Miles.

320~ms ping, max 0.5mbps.

Been there, done that...

12 miles

15ms ping 40/40mbit

There is a little bit of bad advice here, being that someone said that 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz are free use in the US.
According to the FCC, the maximum transmit power is 30dB (1 watt). You can further increase that with a 6dBi antenna, beyond that you have to decrease the transmit power by 1dBm for every 3 dBi.

Ubiquity is using 24Ghz and 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz anyways. Even then, the 5Ghz products would require a license for use in the US.

All that being said, I can't say much to the OP as I'm unfamiliar with UK regulations. I've heard that they're more strict, but have never taken the time to look.

My two cents is: Just use the money and get her a connection to call her own. The only time that it wouldn't be cheaper is if the infrastructure isn't there for an existing ISP. In which case, contact an ISP, see what they'll charge to install the service, and get it done. You won't like the bills or time that goes into maintaining the system, nor will it return it's initial cost.

There is a little bit of bad advice here, being that someone said that 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz are free use in the US.

According to the FCC, the maximum transmit power is 30dB (1 watt). You can further increase that with a 6dBi antenna, beyond that you have to decrease the transmit power by 1dBm for every 3 dBi.

Ubiquity is using 24Ghz and 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz anyways. Even then, the 5Ghz products would require a license for use in the US.

All that being said, I can't say much to the OP as I'm unfamiliar with UK regulations. I've heard that they're more strict, but have never taken the time to look.

My two cents is: Just use the money and get her a connection to call her own. The only time that it wouldn't be cheaper is if the infrastructure isn't there for an existing ISP. In which case, contact an ISP, see what they'll charge to install the service, and get it done. You won't like the bills or time that goes into maintaining the system, nor will it return it's initial cost.

Ubiquiti has 2.4Ghz devices... (Or at least multi band)

This one for example: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/airmax-sector-antenna/

Been there, done that...

12 miles

15ms ping 40/40mbit

IMPOSSIBRU!

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

What you need is definitely some Ubiquiti gear, i've worked with some in the past for connecting IP security cameras across parking lots and apartment complexes. They work wonderfully, and the setup is relatively easy with guides available online that can help you through the whole process.