5.5 Mile Wifi?

Hi so I would like to know how I would go about using long range antenas to extend a wifi network over 5.5 miles. So my idea is that we would have a antena at our house and one at my Mums and my mum would use our wifi over 5.5 miles as the crow flies. How would I do this and what would I need to do this.

Thanks.

Alex

Is that even possible? I mean in a real life not 'technically' cause technically you could extend your range this far with enough switches however the quality would drop significantly most likely

Even if it was it would be probably cheaper to get a new internet at his mums place and be done with it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

That would likely be illegal, if you could even do it reasonably. BTW it would fry anyone near it as it would act as a high power microwave oven

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Latency would be a bitch, but you could literally just use any radio antennae with the right adapter to do so. I really, really, really, really can't advise this though, as to power the thing would be very hard.

It'd be cheaper to get get her a cheap internet plan.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Hi so I would like to know how I would go about using long range antenas to extend a wifi network over 5.5 miles. So my idea is that we would have a antena at our house and one at my Mums and my mum would use our wifi over 5.5 miles as the crow flies. How would I do this and what would I need to do this.

Thanks.

Alex

Think about it. A normal Wifi Signal dies in 30 meters, and already puts out a serious amount of radiation.

Scale that up to a range of 5 miles!

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

I mean if you were going to do something like that the only sensible way to do so would be to run a Ethernet cable to her house. Otherwise get her a cheap 2 up 2 down internet connection.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

For personal use you cant. But in the industry we use Radio links or laser links to link sites together. They can be quite decent speeds.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Thanks.

Alex

Use something like the ubiquity airfiber. Its a beam system that will send internet from one point to anouther with a ranger of over 100km. The only problems are they must be in line of sight and they aren't cheap.

More info https://www.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/

I mean if you were going to do something like that the only sensible way to do so would be to run a Ethernet cable to her house. Otherwise get her a cheap 2 up 2 down internet connection.

Not sensible at all. Ethernet is only rated for 100meters maximum length.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Thanks.

Alex

WiMAX?

It's possible as long as you use fixed directional antennas, as using onmi-directional antennas at that power would get you in a bit of troubble. As people have been saying Ubiquiti does have pre made gear to do this, but do adknoweldge the speeds you will be getting wont be that high.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

It's possible as long as you use fixed directional antennas, as using onmi-directional antennas at that power would get you in a bit of troubble. As people have been saying Ubiquiti does have pre made gear to do this, but do adknoweldge the speeds you will be getting wont be that high.

exactly...I do this at my uncles...they all share the same internet..

I set it up with directional antennas and it works fine

the latency isn't great...but for what they use it for..email...youtube...web pages...its fine

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/directional-wireless-antenna.php

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Wireless Network Engineer here 

Use this kit https://www.ubnt.com/broadband/ (look at the AirMax section, you can get a nice cheap point to point or use an ourdoor sector antenna if you want) that'll do 5.5Mi easily at US outdoor power regulations.

We have links about 2-3mi in the UK and we have lower power restrictions. As long as visibility is good, you shouldn't have an issue.

Kit is fairly cheap, we can do a point to point for a couple of hundred quid (kit should be cheaper in America, I believe). If you have any Q's or need any advice let me know!

That would likely be illegal, if you could even do it reasonably. BTW it would fry anyone near it as it would act as a high power microwave oven

This is why firmware is generally not user accessible - to prevent people from boosting signal above FCC limits.

Wow, so much bad information here, it's ridiculous. To make this work you need line of sight between both locations, after that you need a clear fresnal zone between your two sites. Ubiquiti has an AirLink Calculator, which you can use to test if a variety of different gear will work - you will likely need height to make this work.

You can pickup an AirGrid M5 for about $70 on Amazon each, and build your link for about $140, but you also need to cable it up, and might need to buy some mounting hardware and poles to get some height - probably close to around $500 after all is said and done (that's a fairly safe budget number if you can keep your towers under 15' per side). You can hit a sustained throughput of around 30mbps, which is fine for internet sharing, at an increased latency of under 5ms. After your link is up and running, you simply add an AP at the other end.

You don't need any sort of licensing as long as you're using 900mhz, 2.4ghz, or 5ghz Ubiquiti gear, as it's designed to comply with the FCC and adhere to regulatory compliance. It's 100% legal to buy this stuff off the shelf and start using it. You may want to check with local building codes if your mount extends off your roof by more than 10'.

So we are all clear that's over 29 boxes of 1k feet of not to mentions having to have a repeaters every 328 feet. 

We used to have point to point down the street to our other building, until the city finally allowed use to tunnel some fiber. Point to point works "ok" It's all about aligning the things. and having an good path. Ours "nudged" every now and then and the person whom put them in(not me) had to go up and fix it. 

So we are all clear that's over 29 boxes of 1k feet of not to mentions having to have a repeaters every 328 feet. 

We used to have point to point down the street to our other building, until the city finally allowed use to tunnel some fiber. Point to point works "ok" It's all about aligning the things. and having an good path. Ours "nudged" every now and then and the person whom put them in(not me) had to go up and fix it. 

It's clunky wired solution is better than a wireless solution that will not work at all :P

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Not joking, but my internet is similar to that. We have an antenna on the top of our house pointing towards a tower a few miles out.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10