Full-on iPod touch (6th gen) review

PlayStation 2

EDIT: Welp, it looks like it committed sudoku. I had it for two weeks FYI

EDIT #2: Turns out the simplest solutions often work :P

The title says it all. I've had a week to play with it and I feel it's time for me to give a review of it.

Let's start with features. It's pretty much an iPhone 5s without the fingerprint scanner and with an underclocked iPhone 6 processor in it. So that means it's really snappy under everyday use and does just fine in most any game you can throw at it. It comes with iOS 8.4 already installed and is readily upgradeable to iOS 9 and 9.0.1.

How does it perform? As I said earlier, it's pretty much an iPhone 5s with an underclocked iPhone 6 processor. That means it's literally on par with the iPhone 5s with a barely bigger battery than the last generation. Real Racing 3 (which is a beautiful iOS/Android game) runs mostly steady at its capped 30fps with some frame drops here and there. Asphalt 8 (unless it's loading) runs always at its capped frame rate. It never slows down in YouTube. Chrome runs just fine.

How does it look? It's practically unchanged from the 5th gen iPod touch aesthetically (apart from Space Grey and another color) so it compliments the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus nicely.

Does it take photos well? Oh yeah. Unless it's in dark lighting, where phone cameras have always been very poor at.

How's the video on it? Relatively crisp and supports 720p120 (but not 1080p60 or 720p240) and the seems to be from the iPhone 5. 

How does iOS 9 run on it? Pretty meh but that seems to be like that on pretty much every iDevice right now.

How about its screen? It's unchanged from the 5th gen iPod touch again so 640x1136, which makes it really good for what it is handling.

Sound? Honestly, very tinny and lacks any real bass. Also it's kind of quiet.

TL;DR

This is a much needed upgrade to the iPod touch line, giving the 6th gen a boost to iPhone 5s levels of performance while keeping the 5th gen design and matching the iPhone 6. For $199 for the 16gb model, $249 for the 32gb model (which I own) $299 for the 64gb model and $399 for the 128gb model, I would highly recommend one.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I don't mind iPod touch, because I think it's price is quite justified. But I still think that having a phone is smarter.

also ew iTunes?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't mind iPod touch, because I think it's price is quite justified. But I still think that having a phone is smarter.

also ew iTunes?

I literally haven't used iTunes on this thing. For music I use VLC.

Wait wait wait wait wait....

The iPod is practically just an MP3 player with apps, right? Or has anything changed?

I never owned an iPod, that's why I'm asking.

I literally haven't used iTunes on this thing. For music I use VLC.

How do you get files onto it? I have no idea how it works, I remember back in the day you had to use iTunes to transfer stuff.

Wait wait wait wait wait....

The iPod is practically just an MP3 player with apps, right? Or has anything changed?

I never owned an iPod, that's why I'm asking.

It's an iPhone that doesn't call, better description.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

also ew iTunes?

I would rather have an iPod and a cheap android/Windows phone, than an iPhone or other flagship

I would rather have an iPod and a cheap android/Windows phone, than an iPhone or other flagship

But if you have a cheap android/Windows phone what do you need the iPod for.

Spoiler

Hows the battery life, i basically gave up on my iPod Touch 5 Gen because of it's poor battery life.

Note 5 FTW....

Hows the battery life, i basically gave up on my iPod Touch 5 Gen because of it's poor battery life. Note 5 FTW....

Battery life is pretty meh. I can get like, what, 6 hours playing Make It Rain

How do you get files onto it? I have no idea how it works, I remember back in the day you had to use iTunes to transfer stuff.

It's an iPhone that doesn't call, better description.

VLC uses WiFi transferring to put files on the VLC app.

VLC uses WiFi transferring to put files on the VLC app.

Cheats.  :ph34r:

Spoiler

I have an iPod Nano, the first one. And it still works.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

But if you have a cheap android/Windows phone what do you need the iPod for.

Most, if not all, of the people at my school use iMessage (meh) and FaceTime (eww) to communicate, so I need some form of iOS device. And iPods are around 800 dollars cheaper in Australia than the iPhone 6S. On the other hand, I still need a phone, so Moto E/G for me.

Most, if not all, of the people at my school use iMessage (meh) and FaceTime (eww) to communicate, so I need some form of iOS device. And iPods are around 800 dollars cheaper in Australia than the iPhone 6S. On the other hand, I still need a phone, so Moto E/G for me.

Ok, that makes sense and doesn't at the same time. Why not use something that's cross platform like Whatsapp or Viber.

Spoiler

Ok, that makes sense and doesn't at the same time. Why not use something that's cross platform like Whatsapp or Viber.

Your suggestion makes sense for me and you, but I go to a private school with some kids with no concept of money or value, so naturally most of them have macbook pros for taking notes and iPhones. And none of them are going to change to a new platform because a couple of the techie kids would rather be using Android.

Honestly that's not something he can help.

Yeah exactly

Your suggestion makes sense for me and you, but I go to a private school with some kids with no concept of money or value, so naturally most of them have macbook pros for taking notes and iPhones. And none of them are going to change to a new platform because a couple of the techie kids would rather be using Android.

Yeah exactly

that's even worse

that's even worse

Yea. Some of the parents of friends that I have spoken to are clearly trying to make the kids think they have more or less unlimited funding, and enough of them believe it to be annoying.

The title says it all. I've had a week to play with it and I feel it's time for me to give a review of it.

Let's start with features. It's pretty much an iPhone 5s without the fingerprint scanner and with an underclocked iPhone 6 processor in it. So that means it's really snappy under everyday use and does just fine in most any game you can throw at it. It comes with iOS 8.4 already installed and is readily upgradeable to iOS 9 and 9.0.1.

How does it perform? As I said earlier, it's pretty much an iPhone 5s with an underclocked iPhone 6 processor. That means it's literally on par with the iPhone 5s with a barely bigger battery than the last generation. Real Racing 3 (which is a beautiful iOS/Android game) runs mostly steady at its capped 30fps with some frame drops here and there. Asphalt 8 (unless it's loading) runs always at its capped frame rate. It never slows down in YouTube. Chrome runs just fine.

How does it look? It's practically unchanged from the 5th gen iPod touch aesthetically (apart from Space Grey and another color) so it compliments the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus nicely.

Does it take photos well? Oh yeah. Unless it's in dark lighting, where phone cameras have always been very poor at.

How's the video on it? Relatively crisp and supports 720p120 (but not 1080p60 or 720p240) and the seems to be from the iPhone 5. 

How does iOS 9 run on it? Pretty meh but that seems to be like that on pretty much every iDevice right now.

How about its screen? It's unchanged from the 5th gen iPod touch again so 640x1136, which makes it really good for what it is handling.

Sound? Honestly, very tinny and lacks any real bass. Also it's kind of quiet.

TL;DR

This is a much needed upgrade to the iPod touch line, giving the 6th gen a boost to iPhone 5s levels of performance while keeping the 5th gen design and matching the iPhone 6. For $199 for the 16gb model, $249 for the 32gb model (which I own) $299 for the 64gb model and $399 for the 128gb model, I would highly recommend one.

Is this the A8 model with 1GB RAM or 2GB?

Cos if it's the latter then OK and if its the former then why does it exist?

Also just by a cheap windows phone or android phone and use Spotify or just copy and paste music onto the phone.

I owned an iPod Nano 6  and when it broke i was looking for a phone and a device to play music/games etc so I just bought a phone i liked.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Is this the A8 model with 1GB RAM or 2GB?

Cos if it's the latter then OK and if its the former then why does it exist?

Also just by a cheap windows phone or android phone and use Spotify or just copy and paste music onto the phone.

I owned an iPod Nano 6  and when it broke i was looking for a phone and a device to play music/games etc so I just bought a phone i liked.

It's only got 1GB of DDR3.

This is iOS and not Android, iOS is pretty good with memory management.

If I would do that my datacap(1gb) would be gone within 1 week

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Yea. Some of the parents of friends that I have spoken to are clearly trying to make the kids think they have more or less unlimited funding, and enough of them believe it to be annoying.

daddys money == status  didnt you know?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

please dont tell me you're referencing those shoes....

shoes...?  nah im just talking about all the kids who think they are better than everybody else cuz mommy and daddy have money and can buy them w/e they want.  "im better than you cuz im rich" bitch no you arent, your daddy is rich, you're just spoiled

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

shoes...?  nah im just talking about all the kids who think they are better than everybody else cuz mommy and daddy have money and can buy them w/e they want.  "im better than you cuz im rich" bitch no you arent, your daddy is rich, you're just spoiled

kek

yeah back last year iirc there was this controversy over these shoes named daddy$ money or whatever