Tutorial: De-bezel your monitor! Slimmer, Cleaner Bezels! No Painting!

iamdarkyoshi

So I decided to make an image-heavy tutorial on how to make your monitors (especially older ones) look tons better in about half an hour or less. It really makes a difference on older monitors. I am NOT responsible if you hurt yourself or break something. BE CAREFUL!!

You will need a monitor, screwdriver set, pliers, electrical tape, and a blade to trim the tape.

KSJ9lDE.jpg

Start by removing the monitor's stand and any visible screws. Mine is just a button to remove it.

t3la05w.jpg

Pry the plastic frame apart if your monitor is held together by internal plastic clips. I am using a screwdriver because I cant be bothered to keep the original bezel anyway.

g8vJstW.jpg

Mine has a thin PCB on the front with a non removable flat-flex ribbon cable for the front interface. Do NOT try to force the front bezel off, it will rip this connector.

P9PTpKa.jpg

Instead, flip it over and remove the BACK of the plastic body.

5OMzsPp.jpg

Mine had to have the standoffs for the DVI and VGA headers removed so I could remove the back metal cover. I had to remove mine so I could unplug the front panel buttons. If yours has a connector on the front of them when you pulled the bezel apart, this is not needed. I just couldnt remove my front panel buttons without unplugging the cable from the internal PCB first.

HJXW9wo.jpg

Remove the screws on the back cover and anything else that could be an issue, like the USB hub here for instance.

x3bFwDt.jpg

Now that the back cover is off, we can see that dell used proper quality capacitors, which would explain why this monitor still works flawlessly after nine years! This is when your results will probably vary on the back cover, if you even needed to remove it. 

rij7tlY.jpg

The whole reason I had to take the back shield off is because I needed to unplug the front panel buttons.

6E8P3Zj.jpg

Now you can lift the whole assembly out of the front frame because the front buttons are not connected to anything.

RwEB2nE.jpg

Now remove the front panel buttons from the front bezel.

35mqr2L.jpg

Now that we have done that, we can plug the buttons back in.

C2RPFkm.jpg

I have discovered that the images look better without the flash. oops.

iASLzfE.jpg

Now just put the back shield on in reverse order.

GMf1irx.jpg

Now for the electrical tape! Just run it along the edge of the metal so it covers up just a tiny bit of the LCD. Do not stretch it too much.

cRUUWRC.jpg

You want the tape to run right up to where the next strip will be. trim it with a blade if you have to.

306qBY5.jpg

Just go around the whole front of the monitor, making sure not to overlap the tape. It looks better with those edges right up against each other.

lrRcx4c.jpg

Now go around the outer edge of the monitor. Stretch it as much as you need to make the rounded corners look decent.

fhj3MGp.jpg

Now tape the buttons onto the bottom of the panel, or wherever you want. I covered the ends because they had no LEDS or buttons.

h9RQfJ5.jpg

I then took the plastic buttons from the front bezel and taped the over the PCB. Not the best, but it works...

jRsOkDb.jpg

Now to reattach the stand. Mine would sit inside of the recessed square in the old plastic body, and since its not there anymore, I had to bend the metal tabs inward to keep the bracket in place. it works...

0Lmvr0V.jpg

Here is what we just created! It looks pretty good!

oagkiZl.jpg

Nearly the same bezel thickness as a 500$ 1440p 144hz acer monitor!!!!

HIowayZ.jpg

In case you are wondering, thats what a high framerate monitor looks like on a cell phone camera :P

If you guys have any questions or want to show off the results, please post down below!!

Put it all into a spoiler. Better?

Oh, I was saying G_G to the success of your mod, not to the fact that it wasnt under a spoiler :P

But better that you did I guess, if Im not complaining about it, odds are someone else will.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Oh, I was saying G_G to the success of your mod, not to the fact that it wasnt under a spoiler :P

But better that you did I guess, if Im not complaining about it, odds are someone else will.

yah, it makes it harder to get to the bottom to post comments :P

I also agree, it turned out quite good :D

I have a couple of monitors just like that. Definitely doing this when I get home! Thanks for the tutorial!

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

@iamdarkyoshi 

CHALLENGE: Do the Samsung 193p debezel.

I did it myself but... DARN THIS MONITOR.

Fun fact: it has nearly 80 screws and 12 latches that you have to undo to debezel it! WTF

I had done a teardown and repair of something that reminded me of this, dont remember what it was though.

why not just do it as a real man? 

Can I have something a little smaller?

dremel%C2%AE8200platinumedition-3994.jpgThat's better.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

a real man does it with this:

chainsaw-goofy-o.gif

Pssh thats weak. This is how a REAL MAN debezels his monitor.

post-221908-0-98988500-1443403402.jpeg

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I have a couple of monitors just like that. Definitely doing this when I get home! Thanks for the tutorial!

I just did this to my dual monitors, and it turned out awesome!

At quick glance I thought the OP made the title of the thread how to De-Bezel your mom. lmfao

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

ASUS-PB258Q-front-view.jpg

I don't think mine will work....

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

got a before and after image?

Here you go :)

The bezels may not look THAT much thinner, but they look a lot cleaner, so i'm happy

Before:

post-150742-0-34707600-1443482824_thumb.

After:

post-150742-0-81344300-1443482868_thumb.

Here you go :)

The bezels may not look THAT much thinner, but they look a lot cleaner, so i'm happy

-snip-

Wow, they look much cleaner! I also like that you can use a piece of tape BETWEEN the monitors for a "seamless" bezel.

Wow, they look much cleaner! I also like that you can use a piece of tape BETWEEN the monitors for a "seamless" bezel.

Yeah, it really looks seamless. Even though these monitors are old, they've lasted this long, and I can't afford to replace them yet