Windows 10 upgrade question

I'm planning on getting a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM, and upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with a clean install (for free).

I'd like to replace the hardware, and then just install Windows 10. How would I do this?

Would I need to change the hardware, install Windows 7 again, then install Windows 10? Or is there a way to cleanly install Windows 10 right after I replace the hardware (maybe using my Windows 7 key)?

You can use the Media Tool for Windows 10 provided by MS to create an ISO and then install it once you change the hardware. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have not done this yet but i hear it works.

Just install windows 10 on ur old motherboard and do that

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

If you plan to change your motherboard you may need to buy a new Windows licence depending on your current licence.

If your current licence is a Retail licence then you will be able to transfer it to another motherboard. If it's an OEM licence you won't be able to transfer it since it is tied to the motherboard at activation.

Similarly Windows 10 licences against your motherboard after the upgrade. This will allow you to do a clean install without having to put in a licence, it will activate after the install.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Thanks for the replies.

And crap, I've got an OEM version of Windows 7. I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to transfer the license.

Thanks for the replies.

And crap, I've got an OEM version of Windows 7. I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to transfer the license.

For the record, I've re-used OEM keys. You can get them reset.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch