[Completed] Project Insidious - Define R5 White / Z170 Krait / 6600K / GTX 980 Ti HOF

Micdeez

What does everyone think about this approach?

The plan was to do this to the Define R5

- Get a 3mm sheet of white acrylic to screw on the top of the case, with x3 120mm holes to allow air to come through the 360 RAD fans (and use a DEMCIfilter to place underneath the acrylic to cover the holes).

- Buy a clear acrylic square sheet for the side window, and Dremel the side to accommodate the "window".

- Custom make a PSU shroud using acrylic.

It sounds like some cost and effort will be applied and I like the idea, although just throwing it out there, the new Phanteks Evolv ATX & Luxe features all of the above, albeit a slightly different looking case... Still a neat looking case.

Any thoughts from anyone if I should keep the R5?

I say keep the R5 and make the R5 unique to your own style.

20150908001609_IMG_5421_zpskyyhx9pd.jpg

This is as generic as you can get with a Define R5 when it comes to water-cooling, minus the paper towels....it was there when I was doing my leak test and never took new ones..

Wow, lovely work on your build, that is very neat!

I plan to mount my pump in a similar fashion, I also bought that D5 bracket and mount it on the radiator.

I love the R5, don't get me wrong!

Acrylic is easy to work with, especially if you have acess to a laser engraver because you'll be able to use cad drawings and get accurate cuts! You should keep the r5 IMO

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Acrylic is easy to work with, especially if you have acess to a laser engraver because you'll be able to use cad drawings and get accurate cuts! You should keep the r5 IMO

Hey Philz, I don't have access to either but I could ask an acrylic business to get something made up for me, what do you think? I did some measurements and have an idea on what sizing I need.

Hey Philz, I don't have access to either but I could ask an acrylic business to get something made up for me, what do you think? I did some measurements and have an idea on what sizing I need.

I could help you and do the cad drawings for you, because they normally charge upwards of 80$/Hr for drawing time! Most laser engraving buisnesses have acrylic in stock and would be able to do anything you need! I doubt acrylic buisnesses have the machines required to do the job, but you can always try!

Also, aluminium is cheaper, easier to bend / have someone bend and more durable as its not nearly as fragile as acrylic!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

So this looks like it will turn out looking good, but what were MSI doing not right angling the SATA connectors? I can forgive it on an mITX but on an ATX board?

So this looks like it will turn out looking good, but what were MSI doing not right angling the SATA connectors? I can forgive it on an mITX but on an ATX board?

If i understand MSI's logic, the krait series of board weren't meant to be the top high-end board but more of a mid-range so it would be expected to be missing some feature....although the board itself looks like a damn beast..

If i understand MSI's logic, the krait series of board weren't meant to be the top high-end board but more of a mid-range so it would be expected to be missing some feature....although the board itself looks like a damn beast..

Hmm I suppose that makes sense. I'm not sure on manufacturing costs, but surely turning them 90 degrees couldn't be that much could it? Especially as angled SATA has been a thing for years.

Thanks mate!

Agree, although a better improvement on the Z97 Krait which was pretty barebones. I was going to get the ASUS Z170 Deluxe but $500 for a board was pretty steep...

I think the Krait is more than capable and I can't imagine needing any more than that.

Hmm I suppose that makes sense. I'm not sure on manufacturing costs, but surely turning them 90 degrees couldn't be that much could it? Especially as angled SATA has been a thing for years.

I agree also. Luckily I only need 2 drives at the moment.. A horrible idea not to right angle them.

Whats the plan for the shroud finally? Did you find a place? :D

Spoiler

Whats the plan for the shroud finally? Did you find a place? :D

I am actually trying to do some drawings on Paint, I will send an image soon :)

I am actually trying to do some drawings on Paint, I will send an image soon :)

Ok! Good luck with paint ><

Spoiler

Ok! Good luck with paint ><

I won't win awards with design, but would this make sense to someone that can laser cut to shape?

The PSU shroud is difficult to draw in 2D, but can you visualise the 'front view', as it depicts that I want a cut-out to display the PSU and to keep the angled lines. Its still a once piece section. What do you think?

post-264636-0-01620900-1444349332_thumb.

I won't win awards with design, but would this make sense to someone that can laser cut to shape?

The PSU shroud is difficult to draw in 2D, but can you visualise the 'front view', as it depicts that I want a cut-out to display the PSU and to keep the angled lines. Its still a once piece section. What do you think?

It does make sense, but you if you want it to be bent, its better to have it drawn as one "unbended" shape! Anyone with basic cad drawing knowledge will be able to draw that and have it machined! Good job doing that with paint :D

Spoiler

I did my best lol. I have no idea how to use CAD.... Anyway I am definitely keeping the R5. Sometimes you have to stare at a case long enough to appreciate its a keeper.

What do you guys think about these two designs for the backplate? I will only choose one of course :)

YSoFsV4l.jpg

EFUf3tAl.jpg

Did you make that with paimt? You're a freaking paint master!

Those designs are SICK! I prefer the fiest one though :)

Spoiler

Did you make that with paimt? You're a freaking paint master!

Those designs are SICK! I prefer the fiest one though :)

Thanks bro! I think I agree with you too, first looks pretty menacing.

This was done via Photoshop, so I may have cheated a little lol.

That looks great you should totally do that. And for the other designs i also think you should go with the first one.

Cheers mate I thi k the designs are neat and gives a little extra without going too over the top.

Got a price for the acrylic job and it's going to cost $121. Not cheap but I think I might go with it!

Cheers mate I thi k the designs are neat and gives a little extra without going too over the top.

Got a price for the acrylic job and it's going to cost $121. Not cheap but I think I might go with it!

That sounds about right for a shroud! Will they bend it for you or not? If not, how do you plan to bend it?

Spoiler

Yes so that's the top panel with the fan cutouts, clear side window and the shroud bent to shape as per the image. I won't be bending anything lol

Thats really cheap then :P Maybe its just cheaper in the us then in canada ( assuming you are in the us)!

Spoiler

I'm an Aussie :)

I thought that was pretty expensive, but I haven't had to do an acrylic order before :P

Thats really cheap then :P Maybe its just cheaper in the us then in canada ( assuming you are in the us)!