[Completed] Project Insidious - Define R5 White / Z170 Krait / 6600K / GTX 980 Ti HOF

Micdeez

That makes sense. Seems a shame to see it go away though...

It was a regretful sale indeed... Hopefully I can use the funds to allocate for additional water cooling supplies if I am ever short on fittings. Or more beers required for the build process :)

It was a regretful sale indeed... Hopefully I can use the funds to allocate for additional water cooling supplies if I am ever short on fittings. Or more beers required for the build process :)

True, but it was a SEASONIC PSU...

Either way, i would've gone with an Evga g2 instead of the corsair psu

Yup

I think the RMi has been shipped now so too late to consider changing, but appreciate the suggestion for the G2

Very nice photos

Thanks mate! I promise to get even better photos once the build is complete.

I think the RMi has been shipped now so too late to consider changing, but appreciate the suggestion for the G2

Thanks mate! I promise to get even better photos once the build is complete.

Oh Well... You're welcome :D

Hi guys, so a nice update, I sprayed the EK PE360 & PE240 in white.

The end result I am so stoked with! I used white primer and Dy-Mark enamel rattle cans.

Probably my second time spraying something and it looks flawless. Took me 2 days to get right, but the preparation and patience was worth it.

Lots of wet sanding to really get the surface nice and smooth, and those pesky dust particles!

6frsNuSl.jpg

BY3Tarhl.jpg

Damn this looks good, hopefully in the near future ill be doing something like this, ive always like MSI motherboard and the krait edition boards are so sleek and nice looking

image.jpg

Thanks!

The Krait Z170 is a gorgeous board and offers some pretty good value (if you are choosing Skylake).

Do it :)

Damn this looks good, hopefully in the near future ill be doing something like this, ive always like MSI motherboard and the krait edition boards are so sleek and nice looking

God damn son, you got 800 people to view your post in 5 days, thats insane! Good job! I love what you did :D

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Nice combo!

Could you just smell that new rad ?  :wub:

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I will take it as a compliment :)

The build is about 30% done, I have so many things running in my head on what I want to do.

One of my mates owns a custom vinyl business and will DEFINITELY use his services for some artwork, he does some insane work on cars!

God damn son, you got 800 people to view your post in 5 days, thats insane! Good job! I love what you did :D

If you need any help with cad drawings, i'll be happy to help!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

That's a nice gesture, thanks mate I am sure I will be in touch!

If you need any help with cad drawings, i'll be happy to help!

So I am seeing my vinyl sticker guy for some concepts this weekend, and unfortunately will be unable to do anything over the long weekend.

Hopefully I can get back to it on Monday and start the water cooling loop routing, excited!

Can we see the concepts? Did you draw them? What are you thinking of doing? 

Spoiler

A little sneak peek with the power supply fitted. I think the Corsair RM design matches really well with the Krait board lines :)

I will certainly make sure the custom power supply shroud shows a little of it!

bu7JOGHl.jpg

Wow. I love it :D

Spoiler

Can we see the concepts? Did you draw them? What are you thinking of doing? 

Hey Philz, not as yet, my mate will assist here and will look at a few ways we can make it work. Its likely going to be inspired by what we can research but who knows, my mate is a little more creative than I :)

Hey guys, what an amazing long weekend here in Sydney, hot summer weather (for Spring), and plenty of beers and whiskey...

A little hungover, but time to start the watercooling loop and plan things. i really hope that I have enough fittings, but who knows until I start getting things going...

AjrF7ill.jpg

What does everyone think about this approach?

The plan was to do this to the Define R5

- Get a 3mm sheet of white acrylic to screw on the top of the case, with x3 120mm holes to allow air to come through the 360 RAD fans (and use a DEMCIfilter to place underneath the acrylic to cover the holes).

- Buy a clear acrylic square sheet for the side window, and Dremel the side to accommodate the "window".

- Custom make a PSU shroud using acrylic.

It sounds like some cost and effort will be applied and I like the idea, although just throwing it out there, the new Phanteks Evolv ATX & Luxe features all of the above, albeit a slightly different looking case... Still a neat looking case.

Any thoughts from anyone if I should keep the R5?

I've been working with acrylic recently and its not that hard to do if you spend the time. Personally I love building my own stuff so I would say get the R5, but if you need the computer built 'right away' then go for the easy option.

Good photography btw!

Thanks Necro, I kinda feel the same way (keep the R5), knowing that the effort required should pay off.

This is my first project so it seemed a little daunting, but appreciate the words of encouragement.

I've been working with acrylic recently and its not that hard to do if you spend the time. Personally I love building my own stuff so I would say get the R5, but if you need the computer built 'right away' then go for the easy option.

Good photography btw!