[Completed] Project Insidious - Define R5 White / Z170 Krait / 6600K / GTX 980 Ti HOF

Micdeez

FINAL PHOTOS.

Thanks for all of your support!

kl5faZfh.jpg

5hqjc7Qh.jpg

8tdVur2h.jpg

AHjxGXBh.jpg

NNqxXADh.jpg

t16pBaCh.jpg

02KAc69h.jpg

YezyUCQh.jpg

262IlQ6h.jpg

cIBB3CLh.jpg

hcsWgJyh.jpg

NNVO828h.jpg

ljOU2Wih.jpg

NqDsk2uh.jpg

FxqLaf5h.jpg

2CQgucvh.jpg

aYeceRGh.jpg

Welcome all to my first build log!

Being my first foray into the PC world, I was inspired by a lot of fine looking builds (and of course playing games) #pcmasterrace.

I would like to add some custom touches, rather than slapping on parts in a white box. I think the Define R5 would be a nice "canvas" to start. Vision absolutely needs to be tastefully done (no glaring colours, just simple black and white).

Will try my hand on a fully hardline-tubed water-cooled build with symmetry and clean lines in mind.

"Insidious" [in-sid-ee-uh s] stealthily treacherous or deceitful.

So it begins...

Case
Fractal Design Define R5 White
Custom "XL" Case Window (4.5mm acrylic) Water-jet method cutting

Electronics
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming Motherboard
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400MHZ 16GB Kit
GALAX GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HOF Video Card
Samsung 850 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Corsair RM850i 80 Plus Gold Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Darkside Automotive White LED's x4 12cm
Corsair Commander Mini
White LED Diode Replacement (power button)

Watercooling
EK CoolStream PE 360 Triple Radiator
EK CoolStream PE 240 Dual Radiator
EK ACF 13/19mm Compression Fitting White
EK Laing D5 PWM Pump
Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition Fans x2
Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition Fans x5
Bitspower CPU Block Summit EF (Intel) Clear Acrylic Top Version
Bitspower D5 Mod Top S Clear Model
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 100 Limited White
Bitspower VG-NGTX980TIGXHOF White Acrylic Top with Stainless Panel (White BP)
Bitspower D5 Bracket White
Bitspower Deluxe White Enhance 90-Degree Dual Multi-Link Adapter
Bitspower Deluxe White Enhance Rotary 90-Degree Multi-Link Adapter
Bitspower Rotary Fitting "Q" - 360 Degree Water Cooling Accessory - Deluxe White Finish Bitspower G1/4" Stop Fitting with O-ring - Deluxe White Finish
Bitspower Flow Indicator (BP-FI-CLBKWH) - Clear/Black/White
Bitspower BP-MVV-DWBK Mini-Valve - Deluxe White With Black Handle
Bitspower G1/4" Deluxe White Enhance Multi-Link For Acrylic Tube OD 12MM 
Bitspower G1/4" Stop Fitting with O-ring - Deluxe White Finish
Bitspower Mini Dual G1/4" High Flow Fitting - Deluxe White Finish
Bitspower D5 Adaptor Plate Multi Z
Bitspower Aluminium M4 Screws
PrimoChill Liquid Utopia Fluid Dye Pack - Black

Miscellaneous
CableMod Black/White Full Kit / CableMod Combs
Bitspower Cable Sleeving & Bitspower Heatshrink
DEMCIflex Define R5 Top Case Filter / PCI Bracket
Custom Vinyl Printed Graphics
Custom PSU Acrylic Shroud

Zbg6mcgl.jpg

Some pretty good space here for a mid-tower. Going to strip away all of the cages and bay cradle.

Looks like some pretty good WC potential, although I am a little torn for putting a 360mm rad on the roof.

I understand that this is going to leak a fair bit of noise which is a shame, might reserve this for potentially an acrylic top to dress it a little. 

psYpXJjl.jpg

Such a good looking board. Simple design but really like the matte black PCB finish and white highlights. Compared to the Z97 Krait, they really did improve upon the audio side and extra features found on high end boards. The Z97 was essentially a budget board with a nice colour scheme.

I do have one reservation about this board, the SATA ports are not right angled, and placed in a terrible spot! I can also see that this board takes 6 screws so doesn't appear to be a full size ATX layout. Anyway, the board is still quite good, I like that it has M.2, better 1150 ALC audio and USB 3.1. 

VsErHnkl.jpg
fZtuiJAl.jpg

2IQ4IuUl.jpg

Nice build, that color theme looks really nice too.

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

Nice! Are you going to mod the case?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

Nice build, that color theme looks really nice too.

Nice build, subbed :D

@Micdeez, remeber to follow your own posts, and welcome to the forums and have a nice stay :D

Hey thanks guys for the warm welcome :)

Nice! Are you going to mod the case?

I will to some extent, I would like to put a custom PSU shroud, possibly a few other things. 

I am more keen to see what I can with the top section.

Hey thanks guys for the warm welcome :)

I will to some extent, I would like to put a custom PSU shroud, possibly a few other things.

I am more keen to see what I can with the top section.

Haha no prob :D

A psu shroud will do great, especially hiding your cable mess :P

So after testing the 980 GTX which worked flawlessly, and updated to the latest drivers, its time to cut the guts out and prep for the Bitspower block.

This will probably be a stressful experience, I have never gutted a graphics card out, but here goes, wish me luck!!

K53hJbQl.jpg

s6oGOPcl.jpg

kingzGZl.jpg

Every Bitspower clear acrylic part needs a polish if you want to attain a crystal clear look, see below.

I polished the G1/4 section for reference to the main untouched block.

I will be using a dremel polishing bit and some PlastX (Meguirs). No need for 2000 grit sandpaper, just the compound and a dremel :)

OXv2qCil.jpg

How are you getting those pictures though? What camera do you use?

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

I'm using an Olympus OMD 5 and 12-50mm lens. It's no proper SLR but it's a great little shooter. I have a black glass bench that I use and use PS to edit to be black and white (it's the theme I'm running with), noir style if you will lol.

And not sure why the pics aren't showing? I'm using imgur to upload them for easier viewing in a forum.

Is anyone else not seeing the pics? I can see them on my iPhone anyway.

I'm using an Olympus OMD 5 and 12-50mm lens. It's no proper SLR but it's a great little shooter. I have a black glass bench that I use and use PS to edit to be black and white (it's the theme I'm running with), noir style if you will lol.

And not sure why the pics aren't showing? I'm using imgur to upload them for easier viewing in a forum.

Is anyone else not seeing the pics? I can see them on my iPhone anyway.

I see the pictures fine and I am on PC. Also, Awesome build, It's Insane how clean the R5 looks in white.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I see the pictures fine and I am on PC. Also, Awesome build, It's Insane how clean the R5 looks in white.

Thank you for the kind words, I agree that the the R5 is really clean too, for the price its a bargain indeed!

I am thinking about modding it, at least see what I can do for the roof, I have a 360mm rad and no where else I can place it. Those moduvents when taken off looks like the case is an 'engine hood without the hood", just doesn't look clean anymore.

Is it worth modding the roof you think? I am thinking a white piece of acrylic custom made.

Thank you for the kind words, I agree that the the R5 is really clean too, for the price its a bargain indeed!

I am thinking about modding it, at least see what I can do for the roof, I have a 360mm rad and no where else I can place it. Those moduvents when taken off looks like the case is an 'engine hood without the hood", just doesn't look clean anymore.

Is it worth modding the roof you think? I am thinking a white piece of acrylic custom made.

If you can flip the case to an Define S then do it. The radiator support in that is insane.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

If you can flip the case to an Define S then do it. The radiator support in that is insane.

Define S doesn't come in white. Its all good, the R5 is still a very nice case.

As a newbie to LTT, been browsing these forums and drawing inspiration from the other builds and general chit chat, and got to say the community here is great! I'll definitely enjoy doing my build here and hopefully I can contribute back in some form :)

Just a brief update, I have ordered a new power supply, the Corsair RM850i.

Heard a great wrap about the new RMi models and the quality of components and price point.

The SeaSonic will be flipped accordingly. 

x5 EK F4-120ER PWM fans in all white are in order. Was tossing up between these or the Corsair SP PWM fans.

Honestly came down to aesthetics really!

Also enquiring about a clear acrylic top panel for the R5, not liking the hex mesh top without the modu-vents an considering dremelling the roof to accommodate the clear acrylic. 

Just a brief update, I have ordered a new power supply, the Corsair RM850i.

Heard a great wrap about the new RMi models and the quality of components and price point.

The SeaSonic will be flipped accordingly. 

x5 EK F4-120ER PWM fans in all white are in order. Was tossing up between these or the Corsair SP PWM fans.

Honestly came down to aesthetics really!

Also enquiring about a clear acrylic top panel for the R5, not liking the hex mesh top without the modu-vents an considering dremelling the roof to accommodate the clear acrylic. 

Wait, why are you changing power supplies? The seasonic is measurably better.

Wait, why are you changing power supplies? The seasonic is measurably better.

I agree with you 100%, Seasonic would be a more powerful option, I just think it's overkill for my needs and just scaling down a little. I found a close buddy that is building a 3 way GPU set up so it would be more suited for him so it's gone now. :)

I agree with you 100%, Seasonic would be a more powerful option, I just think it's overkill for my needs and just scaling down a little. I found a close buddy that is building a 3 way GPU set up so it would be more suited for him so it's gone now. :)

That makes sense. Seems a shame to see it go away though...