I'm experimenting with servers using ubuntu on a 2nd PC.

It's over 12 years old, really slow, and it has its problems...

Once in a while, strange errors and issues occur and I have to reinstall Ubuntu Desktop for it to fix.

- Strange errors with no google results and no askubuntu answers, 

- Random full freezes, not even REISUB works,

- Internet not working,

- Internet outgoing connections not working but incoming working: servers say "Authentication services are down!" when they clearly aren't

- Huge error message and instant shutdown

It's not related to anything I am doing..

I'm doing the same on windows fine.

Now I'm wondering if I'm better off using ubuntu in virtualbox on my main PC instead.

1) I'm wondering about the hardware wear on the main PC.

People say servers destroy hardware. And also, having 2 operating systems running.

My main PC is not necessarily fast / durable.

2) I'm wondering about the power usage of an older PC.

3) It's just not a nice way of working with this crappy old PC.

But I'd rather destroy that than my other. It's not that good either but I don't have anything better.

Main PC:

Intel® Core™ i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz

8GB RAM

GeForce GTX 650

64-bit

2nd PC:

Intel® Celeron® D CPU @ 3.20 GHz

1,5 GB RAM

Gallium 0.4 on NV4A (night vision?)
32-bit

(Another option is to just get hosting but I'm not ready to put up anything finished yet and I'm not sure if I want to go that route)

Thanks

I'm experimenting with servers using ubuntu on a 2nd PC.

It's over 12 years old, really slow, and it has its problems...

Once in a while, strange errors and issues occur and I have to reinstall Ubuntu Desktop for it to fix.

- Strange errors with no google results and no askubuntu answers, 

- Random full freezes, not even REISUB works,

- Internet not working,

- Internet outgoing connections not working but incoming working: servers say "Authentication services are down!" when they clearly aren't

- Huge error message and instant shutdown

It's not related to anything I am doing..

I'm doing the same on windows fine.

Now I'm wondering if I'm better off using ubuntu in virtualbox on my main PC instead.

1) I'm wondering about the hardware wear on the main PC.

People say servers destroy hardware. And also, having 2 operating systems running.

My main PC is not necessarily fast / durable.

2) I'm wondering about the power usage of an older PC.

3) It's just not a nice way of working with this crappy old PC.

But I'd rather destroy that than my other. It's not that good either but I don't have anything better.

Main PC:

Intel® Core™ i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz

8GB RAM

GeForce GTX 650

64-bit

2nd PC:

Intel® Celeron® D CPU @ 3.20 GHz

1,5 GB RAM

Gallium 0.4 on NV4A (night vision?)

32-bit

(Another option is to just get hosting but I'm not ready to put up anything finished yet and I'm not sure if I want to go that route)

Thanks

if you want a decently performing vm you need quality components. it is good to have high frequency ram, fast ssd's (maybe even a dedicated one) and an i7 wouldnt hurt too. if you have problems with the old pc i would still go with a vm but i would ask over at the teksyndicate forum. they have a lot more knowledge about vm's and linux.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Those strange errors might mean your hard drive could be failing. You could pick up a cheap SSD and try that.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

I'm not really looking for performance I just don't want my PC to die from the VM.

I'm not really looking for performance I just don't want my PC to die from the VM.

Normal software can't destroy hardware.

However servers are normally used 24/7 and if your (comsumer) components are not made for for this workload they will degrade faster.

But since you won't runn the vm all day long, it won't hurt anything. In fact gaming is a more intensive workload than the vm.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Normal software can't destroy hardware.

However servers are normally used 24/7 and if your (comsumer) components are not made for for this workload they will degrade faster.

But since you won't runn the vm all day long, it won't hurt anything. In fact gaming is a more intensive workload than the vm.

How heavy is a VM with ubuntu and game servers? What parts will most likely suffer/break?

How heavy is a VM with ubuntu and game servers? What parts will most likely suffer/break?

I assume the load it not that hard, but you cam meassure that when it is set up.

And as long as all components are cooled sufficient (<80℃) it can run for several years 24/7, as long as you don't play around with the voltage. Considering how many peoples runns folding at home on OC'd machines all day long, the hardware nowadays can take a big hit before giveing up.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Those strange errors might mean your hard drive could be failing. You could pick up a cheap SSD and try that.

Is it possible that the OS was never 100% successfully functionally installed due to a breaking hard drive?

You might want to look into Docker. VMs are so 2013. Also a VM wit an Ubuntu on it, isn't going to be hard on the hardware at all. Also it seems that your servers are not very busy so that won't hurt anything as well. Servers degrade components only if they're heavily used. A server is a normal application, there isn't anything special in them that will hurt your pc.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900