Why Console Alternatives are Relevant [A Guide-Rant]

You_are_a_cunt
Seeing as there's been a recent boom of console alternative PC builds popping up, I figured I'd lay down my two cents on their relevancy, hopefully shedding some light on them for current console gamers. While this isn't intended to be a guide per se, it might end up being a good place to help people make up their minds in regards to switching to PC gaming.

Hardware pricing

It's been made fairly clear by a few of my fellow forum posters that you can buy a console-equivalent (or better) PC for roughly the same cost as a console. Or at least this is the case at the time of writing this.

However, I have a few sugestions for people that plan on making more console equivalent PC build guides:

- don't include peripherals. We can safely assume that everyone has some sort of PC at this point. We should be sticking to the PC itself for starters

- don't include the OS. You'll probably figure out why in the next section

- IMO builds should be the best bang for buck for their price range and keep within say $50 of the console's pricing.

- don't include ODDs. Most of the games these days come as digital download anyway

If you've set your mind on buying a console alternative PC, be sure to do your research. The LTT forums are a great place to get sugestions on builds, so you're safe with that. But it doesn't end here. You don't just find a build that fits your budget and blindly order it.

I've found that looking at local retailer catalogs is often quite good, since you can get better prices than those from on-line retailers. In short: find the components you need for the lowest price you can. You'll end up saving a couple of bucks here and there, probably enough to kickstart your PC game library

The awesome thing about PCs is that you don't have to stick to your build forever. You always have the option to upgrade whenever you notice that your PC doesn't have enough juice to drive your games anymore.

Another great thing is that you don't have to buy all the parts at once. You can start buying it component-by-component and when you have the bare essentials you're ready to begin building it. There are THOUSANDS of guides and tutorials on how to build systems and, let's be honest, you're on the LTT forums. While we might be a big mess of trolls and spammers (sometimes), we're also pretty tech-savvy and there's bound to be someone that can answer your questions and guide you through it. You're in good hands.

Software pricing

Operating system

While most people will jump straight into Windows, this shouldn't be your only option. And it's not. Currently Steam offers at least 1500 games that work just fine on Linux. While the though of using Linux as a daily driver would seem a monumentally hard decision, it shouldn't. If you're switching from consoles, you're in for a treat, since Steam themselves offer SteamOS, which is basically a Linux distribution built specifically with gamers in mind.

It's clear to anyone that most of those 1500 games might not present interest to anyone, but it's a starting point for your PC gaming experience

If your budget permits, you'll probably want to pick up a copy of Windows for your PC (Attention, students! Your university might have a collaboration program with Microsoft that offers your free keys for Windows so keep that in mind)

Games

We all know that console games tend to keep their pricing pretty high, even a few years after their release. This seems to be most common for current gen consoles. From what I can see on stores around here, PS3/Xbox360 games have gotten a bit cheaper, but they are still quite pricy compared to the PC version.

Since we're in the digital age, you aren't limited to buying physical copies of the games! Look around the internet on reputable sites for Steam/Origin/Uplay/whatever keys that cost less than the retail price on any of the major PC gaming platforms. (Hopefully I'll be able to put together a list/guide of reputable sellers and places you can get a bargain on game keys. I'll make sure to update this post once that rolls out).

If you've gotten to the point where you have a gaming PC and you've started buying a few games, you've probably already spending a bit less.

You should also keep in mind that there are quite a lot of FREE games to play on your PC. If you know where to look you can even get paid games for free during giveaways! (for example, EA gives out a free game from they catalog every month or so. Steam has been known to give free games for Christmas. Some developers set the price of the game on Steam to $0 and if you 'claim' a copy of the game, it stays in your library permanently)

Another fun way to get games really cheap are bundles (Humble Bundle, Bundle Stars, Indie Gala and more!). These aren't just indie games. There have been quite a few AAA games that got into bundles. And alot of the proceeds go to charity, which is also nice!

Game variety

PCs see far more releases than consoles every will, due to the indie dev movement. There are hundreads or maybe thousands of indie games that are amazingly well built and will probably never see the light of day on consoles, for reasons varying from the development environment to the price of distribution. So there's that.

Most console games eventually find their way onto PC, so you're not missing out on too many AAAs. This still leaves the exclusives, but those are quite a lot less in number than the ones that get released on PC. If you're switching from console gaming, you already have a console and if you really want to play an exclusive you'll only need to buy the game.

PC gaming also opens up a few new game genres that aren't really made for consoles, such as RTS (Real Time Strategy) games. 

I've previously mentioned SteamOS and the fact that there are 1500+ games that work on it on Steam. This obviously limits your choices, but if you've spent the coin and jumped onto Windows, your options have grown exponentially.

Steam isn't the only distribution platform out there (although it has the most variety of them all). There's also Origin, GoodOldGames (GOG), uPlay, Desura (mostly indie games), battle.net (which caters exclusively to Blizzard games), and probably some I have never heard of.

Last, but defintiely not least, PC gaming benefits from something consoles don't. Backwards compatibility. You're able to play pretty much ANY game that has ever been released on PC. Some work out of the box, other require another feature that consoles lack: emulation. Emulation doesn't limit itself to PC games. There are also quite a few console emulators out there (admitteldy, not for the more modern ones, but I do recall there being emulators for handlelds, old consoles and even the PS1).

Expandability

Your gaming PC won't be top of the line on a budget, but that doesn't mean you have to deal with the same specs forever. If you're on a budget, you'll be upgrading at some point. While you are limited in some aspects, those limits are usually high enough that you don't even need to bother considering them. Any component in the PC can be easily replaced or upgraded, unlike consoles that can only see upgrades in the storage department (as far as I know).

Usability

Your PC isn't limited to gaming. You can do almost anything on it. You can learn how to code, design, do spreadsheets (which I'm a big fan of, for some reason), watch movies/shows/TV, listen to music, MAKE music, edit videos and all sorts of activities. The possibilities are as varied as they are many.

User-submitted alternative builds

Final thoughts

While console gaming shouldn't be dismissed in its entirety, PC gaming offers far more variety and is widely seen as the preferred way to indulge in one's passion for gaming. The PC gaming market seems to me to be far larger and it offers more options. The entire PC vs. Console debate will never end, since both have their strong points and their weaknesses. Financially, it depends on each user and their gaming habits, needs and preferences. 

Other notes

Please remember that this post represents my two cents and is written from the standpoint of a PC gamer that has been active for many years and has gotten to know the environment mostly by trial and error. It should also be mentioned that I own and use a console.

If I have left something out, please point it out and I will make the necessary edits to this post. Credit where credit is due.

Things to add:

- links to relevant console alternative threads with according credits

- link to PC gamer's buying guide WIP

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Stop posting these threads. People will buy what they want. End of story.

Stop trying to make out like people are making retarded decisions when they buy consoles. Stop saying you can game on Linux when they have shit driver support and rarely ever get a AAA Linux version - expecting a console user to know how to use Linux, lmao.

Everyone knows by now PC has a framerate capability higher than 30fps. Everyone knows PC versions look better 99.99% of the time.

Why do people continue to buy consoles? Because that's what they want. Same reason you choose PC over consoles, or some other useless hobby - because that's what you want.

Yes I'm salty.

Yes I'm salty.

Your saltiness isn't appreciated.

There have been quite a few posts from people that want to switch from consoles to PC gaming.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

There have been quite a few posts from people that want to switch from consoles to PC gaming.

Then let those threads be answered by people who know what they're talking about. That's why there's a build guide section, and that's why there's people here willing to help people who have questions.

Some of what you say even in this thread is misleading and outright incorrect.

For example: "We can safely assume that everyone has some sort of PC at this point." Wrong. The only reason there's desktop PC's in my house is because I own the two of them, and they're gaming PC's. :P Everyone else sticks to their tablets, therefore no keyboards or mice outside of what I own. I'm willing to bet my left pinky that there's tons of other households that have the situation where everyone either just uses their phones and/or tablets.

Another example: "Currently Steam offers at least 1500 games that work just fine on Linux. While the though of using Linux as a daily driver would seem a monumentally hard decision, it shouldn't." And out of that 1500, how many of them does anyone actually play? Do you really expect a console user to do the research on how to install Linux drivers if they even figure out how to install a distro in the first place? Exactly. Misleading. 

Cases of people switching from console to PC should be handled on a case-by-case basis, as usual.

And for a good reason. The Original Xbox/PS2 and to some extent the PS3/360 were the last true AAA consoles. (The Wii is a console but it doesn't really count being from old man Nintendo)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And for a good reason. The Original Xbox/PS2 and to some extent the PS3/360 were the last true AAA consoles. (The Wii is a console but it doesn't really count being from old man Nintendo)

Most of the console gamers I personally know are too scared to build a PC themselves and can't be bothered to stop complaining about game prices, lack of features, etc. to actually do their research and at least have someone else build the PC for them. Most of them still own a PC that they use for browsing & other light tasks that are in no way capable of proper gaming.

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

SNIP

many many people are unaware that you can build a sub $500 pc capable of gaming, most people assume you have to spend tons of money, so these threads show just how much hardware you can get for a relatively small amount of money

there are plenty of AAA games on Steam OS, and most of the gaming staples are there, many people only want a gaming PC for like 10-20 games, not everyone goes out and buys every game like me and others, I know somebody who is building a PC just to play ESO, Dota 2 and CS;GO .. like literally thats all they play, so a cheap build is perfect for them

People buy consoles because they think its the best option for them, in terms of pricing, ease of use etc, where modern consoles are actually much more complicated than insert disc and press play, you have to manage your storage, download updates, insteall games do hard drive, manage chat programs and online subcriptions etc 

The only other reason is to play exclusives, which is just an unfortunate condition of the games industry at current

Can people still buy consoles? YES, of course, its fine, they are great machines, but there is NO harm in education people that they could benefit from a gaming PC

Lets not forget a lot of younger gamers will need a PC/Laptop for school work, (I worked in a PC store for 7/8 years,... they all bought £400 laptops for their kids AND a £300 xbox... instead of just a £500 gaming pc to do it all)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Sure I prefer gaming on pc but I still see the value of going with a console, for those who little time to research, there are countless articles on the Web with pc builds that are "console killers" to be honest none of them really wow me, unless you're spending 2x the cost of the consoles you're not going to get the best experience. Fiddling with graphics settings can be a pain, hardware just straight out being weird troubleshooting urgggg it's just work, consoles just work and you know what you're getting. Most of my friends from school had consoles, I told them the benefits and downfalls of pc but in the end they just stayed with consoles, there is something reassuring about the familiar.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I know.

I just do not see someone joining LTT as a console gamer and reading through this specific thread. Even if they do, the OP contains misleading information, which is my biggest gripe.

The people (mainly just friends) I've talked to IRL who are primarily console gamers have heard me nearly preach (not all PCMR, more like how they can have a better experience, not shaming them) at them a few times that they can just as easily get gaming PC's and I'll give them free support should they need it.

They always say that they just don't wanna deal with a PC. They just wanna turn the thing on and start a game. They want the simplicity of one-click updates on a console. You don't get that with a PC. It's foreign for them to troubleshoot driver installation errors, search for new drivers, figure out how to use Steam, and so on.

It may be just common knowledge with a regular PC user on doing these simplest of things - it's not with a typical console user.

For example, like I said before, to say they can use Linux as an alternative to spending $100 (give or take) on Windows is stupid. You cannot without a straight face say that your typical console user will know how to use Linux. I don't even like using it and I've been around PC's my entire life.

But before I type out a book, all I'm saying is those people who are looking for information will be able to find it. It's not running short. If they post a thread asking for information, reply to them with the proper information. These threads here are useless.

Sure I prefer gaming on pc but I still see the value of going with a console, for those who little time to research, there are countless articles on the Web with pc builds that are "console killers" to be honest none of them really wow me, unless you're spending 2x the cost of the consoles you're not going to get the best experience. Fiddling with graphics settings can be a pain, hardware just straight out being weird troubleshooting urgggg it's just work, consoles just work and you know what you're getting. Most of my friends from school had consoles, I told them the benefits and downfalls of pc but in the end they just stayed with consoles, there is something reassuring about the familiar.

Yep. Even GeForce Experience, Gaming Evolved and SteamOS don't make things as simple as a console, as much as everyone touts it to be. GFE is a broken piece of shit, dunno how gaming evolved is, and SteamOS is a Linux distro (that right there should say enough).

SNIP

I agree Linux is not fun to use IMO, but steam is pretty simple with big picture mode

But you see console gamers do the whole "cba dealing with it" but honestly the day a console was just put in a disk or cartridge and play is behind us, heck I have to fuck around with my consoles so much, I have to make sure I have my PS Plus and Xbox Live subscription, I get a game on disk and then it asks to install so I have to wait for that, I have to manage limited storage, cloud saves, syncing to my vita, lets not forget annoying match making, and limited comms support etc etc there are quite a few complications with modern console gaming

I dont see how using windows with auto updates, shopping on steam, with automatic game updates, double click to install, double click to play, is any harder than navigating the utterly SHIT PSN and Live stores.. they are really annoying to browse, and honestly the OS interface on the new consoles is not that simple either, these devices are about more than just gaming,

Look, yes I agree, consoles ARE simpler, heck why do you think i use an iPhone, its just easier than fucking around on Android, but there are MANY console users that think PC is just SO HARD, that building one needs an IT degree, that installing geforce experiance for automatic drivers is REALLY HARD when it just isnt

they need to get over their "fear" of technology , they are too scared to leave their comfort zone, why do you think COD sells so well despite criticism, because people are comfy and families and know what game they are getting with their cash, they will play an inferior game because they know 100% what the game is like

Either way, if somebody is 100% a console gamer then they wont be reading about PC alternatives anyway, but there are LOTS of people that would like to game on PC but either deem it too hard or too expensive when in fact its mostly easy and mostly cheap to do

GFE is a broken piece of shit,

not in my, or any of my family or friends expeirance

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yep. Even GeForce Experience, Gaming Evolved and SteamOS don't make things as simple as a console, as much as everyone touts it to be. GFE is a broken piece of shit, dunno how gaming evolved is, and SteamOS is a Linux distro (that right there should say enough).

Yeah unless you're getting something like a 390 or 970 for 1080p 60fps you have to constantly switch settings to get the best performance, geforce recommended settings are completely crap too, when I had my 660ti they would always have the recommended settings wayyyy too high for it. For some reason it refused to even launch on Windows 8.1, when I updated to windows 10 it straight out didn't work for about a month but now it works just fine.

Also games getting completely shafted arkham knight, sure it happened on consoles too but much more rare.

As always with gaming, go where your friends are, that's where you're going to have the best experience.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

You're preaching to the choir, which is my point.

No one who joins this website is going to happen on this thread and go "Wow! I should immediately toss my console and switch to PC!" Everyone who ends up here has basic PC skills and enough knowledge to know if they wanna use PC or console for gaming.

And GFE is broken for tons of people. Drivers constantly fail to install through it, ShadowPlay causes GFE crashes (it's not as common as the driver installation error) and whatnot. Someone here said the app is written in Java(?) or something which is why it doesn't work 100% of the time? Not sure.

Why do people continue to buy consoles? Because that's what they want. Same reason you choose PC over consoles, or some other useless hobby - because that's what you want.

A lot of the time is because they might not know a lot. Hence why they come to the forums for help on how to do things and whether they should switch or not.

EDIT:

Saw what ShadowCaptain said and I kind of just repeated it.  :lol:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

A lot of the time is because they might not know a lot. Hence why they come to the forums for help on how to do things and whether they should switch or not.

Like I've already said in my other replies, there's misinformation in the OP which is my biggest gripe with it, and no one is going to happen on this thread and want to switch to PC.

Like I've already said in my other replies, there's misinformation in the OP which is my biggest gripe with it, and no one is going to happen on this thread and want to switch to PC.

No, but it would help them.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

No one who joins this website is going to happen on this thread and go "Wow! I should immediately toss my console and switch to PC!" Everyone who ends up here has basic PC skills and enough knowledge to know if they wanna use PC or console for gaming.

What? that  is 100% not true at all, 

Anybody can come on this forum, its not just a place for PC elite techies, lots of people come here with NO PC knowledge, and ask questions, 

I have seen countless threads asking "should I get a PS4 or a PC" etc - if there is a thread to direct them to, then it makes life easier

What? that  is 100% not true at all, 

Anybody can come on this forum, its not just a place for PC elite techies, lots of people come here with NO PC knowledge, and ask questions, 

I have seen countless threads asking "should I get a PS4 or a PC" etc - if there is a thread to direct them to, then it makes life easier

Basic PC skills. I don't know what you consider basic, but basic is what my grandparents know: they know how to turn a PC on and browse the internet, use Windows Update when needed, and other basic things..

And I'd wager those threads have someone who has used a PC before, know what they're doing with it and are deciding on what to buy, as per usual.

Like I've said, this thread has misleading information. It's useless. The people who are deciding between a console or a PC will make a thread. Everyone's case is different and this one attempts to put a blanket over everyone's use cases.

No, but it would help them.

No it wouldn't.

Misinformation? Where?

I clearly said that consoles should not be disregarded and I've also stated that both console AND PCs have their advantages AND shortcomings. The point is that there is an alternative for those willing to look for it.

I'll agree that there is some hassle in dealing with PCs but that doesn't mean you should disregard them entirely.

I never said SteamOS was the best thing out there. It's just an alternative if you can't afford to get a copy of Windows straight away. 

You asked how many of the 1500-odd Linux-compatible games on steam that people play. Let's just give some examples of games: CS:GO, Dota2, TF2, Civ V, Portal 1/2, L4D2, Kerbal Space Program, Borderlands 2, Torchlight II, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bioshock Infinite, Shadow of Mordor, Metro 2033/Last Light and that's just a handful of games. If you're going to browse the Steam library of games that work on SteamOS + Linux you'll find nearly 3000 results and quite a few AAA games in that list.

Linux limits you A LOT in what regards games and pretty much restricts you to what's available on Steam, but it's still a starting point until you can get a copy of Windows.

Even if, like you said, someone doesn't already have some sort of PC in the house, a basic keyboard and mouse kit is cheap.

Did you read me saying that "consoles are stupid and you shouldn't buy one"? No. That's because you can own a console and enjoy it, that's a fact. Hell, some dedicated PC gamers buy consoles as an alternative gaming experience and for the exclusives they care about. I've bought a couple of consoles myself and I'm not going to regret doing so. Initially I got a PS3 just so I could play two games that sparked my interest. An entire console for TWO titles. Then I found other games that were console exclusives that I thoroughly enjoyed. PC gaming will still be my preferred medium, but that doesn't mean I won't boot up my consoles every now and then so I can play something differently. 

Lately I've been playing A LOT of Diablo 3. Guess what: it's on both my PC and my PS3. It's basically the same game but the experience is somewhat different. One has me sitting at my desk frantically clicking, the other finds me sitting on my couch, controller in my hand (and frantically pushing buttons) and I for one enjoy both scenarios.

The fact that you don't have to hassle with the console OS and that you just turn it one is one of the console advantages and PC disadvantages.

Using a PC isn't rocket science. My 60-year old father only knew how to do basic things on the PC for years and years and once he actually wanted to do more he just started learning by doing whatever he needed and asking me for help/advice when he had trouble. If he can learn how to install an OS and everything you need to get an optimal experience, I'll just assume a teenager/20-year old can do the same. If you're willing to learn something you'll do it. If not, you'll stick to whatever is simplest to use.

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

No it wouldn't.

It would. If I knew nothing about a subject then I read this, it would help me TOWARDS my decision. Also, it was a good write up and was interesting to read.