Gaming Laptops

supersonicsjm
Go to solution Solved by Shrake907,

OK, I know it's been a while since any updates have been posted in this thread, but I finally ordered my laptop.

This is what I went with in the end:-

XMG U726 17.3"

3840x2160 Screen

2xNVidia GeForce GTX980M 8192 GDDR5 SLI

Intel Core i7-6700K 4 core 8 threads 4.0-4.2GHz

1x32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM

Intel AC-8260

I'll also be buying 2 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD's and 2 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB M9T SATAIII hard drives for storage and and external blu-ray writer.

I want to thank everyone who gave me suggestions and advice, it's all been really helpful and I really appreciate it.

Thanks again. :-)

That is one powerful laptop, man.

Props.

Hi all.

I'm new to the forums, recently started watching Linus and cos videos and really got into them and thought this may be the place to ask what I'm about to ask.

I'm in the process of saving up for a new gaming laptop.  I currently have a Dell L501X XPS 15" laptop which is coming up to 5 years old and has really lasted me well, but I think it's time to upgrade.  I'm looking at getting another laptop as I don't have the space for a desktop setup and need the portability to a degree, but it's not going to be carried everywhere with me all the time.  I may move it around my room or on occasion, take it with me somewhere, but not often.

The things I've been looking at for my new laptop are Skylake i7 chipsets, NVidia GTX 900 series graphics (either M variants or the newly announce 980 for laptops) DDR4 RAM, using an SSD for OS and games and HDD for personal files, USB Type C and Thunderbolt etc.  One of the main things I want to make sure my new laptop does have is a blu-ray writer.  It's something I still use quite a lot for movies and I still have some software that requires it, like my driving theory stuff.

I also do video editing when I do recordings of my video games either on my PC or from one of my consoles so I need to factor that into specs as well.

I've been looking around and not sure what to go for.  The other thing I'm not sure on is do I stick with another 15" laptop or go 17".

I should also add, I do want this to last me a while, so I want to go as decent spec as possible and/or as much upgradeability as possible, if at all possible.

So I thought I'd come here and get some opinions and see what others thought.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all.

I'm new to the forums, recently started watching Linus and co's videos and really got into them and thought this may be the place to ask what I'm about to ask.

I'm in the process of saving up for a new gaming laptop.  I currently have a Dell L501X XPS 15" laptop which is coming up to 5 years old and has really lasted me well, but I think it's time to upgrade.  I'm looking at getting another laptop as I don't have the space for a desktop setup and need the portability to a degree, but it's not going to be carried everywhere with me all the time.  I may move it around my room or on occasion, take it with me somewhere, but not often.

The things I've been looking at for my new laptop are Skylake i7 chipsets, NVidia GTX 900 series graphics (either M variants or the newly announce 980 for laptops) DDR4 RAM, using an SSD for OS and games and HDD for personal files, USB Type C and Thunderbolt etc.  One of the main things I want to make sure my new laptop does have is a blu-ray writer.  It's something I still use quite a lot for movies and I still have some software that requires it, like my driving theory stuff.

I also do video editing when I do recordings of my video games either on my PC or from one of my consoles so I need to factor that into specs as well.

I've been looking around and not sure what to go for.  The other thing I'm not sure on is do I stick with another 15" laptop or go 17".

So I thought I'd come here and get some opinions and see what others thought.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is your budget.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Let me give you some advice as a 17" gaming laptop owner.

Just don't do it. You will be so much better served buying a desktop and a cheap laptop for when you're on the move.

Unless you absolutely must have the mobility and performance of a gaming laptop, it just isn't worth it.

Sager/Clevo NP9170

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz | Radeon HD 7970M 2GB | 12GB 1600MHz | 2x 240GB OCZ SSD | 750GB Hybrid Drive | Windows 10

I haven't got space for a desktop sadly and do need something that can be easily moved.

Think this was mentioned in my original post.

snip

This.

http://mysn.co.uk/shop/xmg-u706-gaminglaptop.html

The specs I recommend

post-221594-0-19135700-1443279159.png

The price you see already includes VAT.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I think you should get a 15 inch laptop (plenty of strong gaming in that size) and then an external monitor: 17 inch laptops are easily moveable but basically useless as a laptop for someone as a go because they are so heavy. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

This is great guys, really appreciate the advice and suggestions.

Keep them coming, I'd love a range of opinions and suggestions on this.

Thanks so far to everyone who's pitched in. :-)

This is great guys, really appreciate the advice and suggestions.

Keep them coming, I'd love a range of opinions and suggestions on this.

Thanks so far to everyone who's pitched in. :-)

Honestly with your budget the world is your oyster, yuo need to decide what kind of laptop you want

Thin and light?. Razer blade / MSI GS60 Ghost / Aorus X5/x7

Thick and powerful? GT80 Titan, Alienware 17.18

All around + upgradable - Clevo p650se (and many other models)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Clevo p650se

Bro, it's time for the P650RE with Skylake.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Bro, it's time for the P650RG with Skylake.

Yeah I forgot about that :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm hoping the world is my oyster, been saving for months to do this.

I'm not too bothered about thin and light, like I said, if possible, I'd like to retain the internal optical drive if it's not going to be too difficult, but I'd rather have more power than a thinner machine.

I haven't got space for a desktop sadly and do need something that can be easily moved.

Think this was mentioned in my original post.

Speaking as an owner of an older MSI GT780 series, they are extremely durable. The new GE series are even better. The best part about the MSI laptops is upgrading. For instance I can put a new GTX 970M in my GT780DXR and since it's a sandy bridge i7 I don't have to worry about bottlenecking and it will run much cooler.

I enjoy having a gaming laptop personally, they're damn useful for visiting family and traveling when you can't drag a watercooled desktop around with you.

The Asus G55 and G75 are excellent also but I find them more prone to bizarre failures and quality issues. You can also buy direct from Sager and Clevo. In fact MSI uses Clevo for their chassis and general baselines.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thought occurs to me, is it worth waiting for the Pascal chips from NVidia to come out before buying, or is that not much of a concern as these machines will be upgradeable/not be that much less powerful than Pascal offerings?

Another thought occurs to me, is it worth waiting for the Pascal chips from NVidia to come out before buying, or is that not much of a concern as these machines will be upgradeable/not be that much less powerful than Pascal offerings?

Considering the current crop of mobile GPUs are downright amazing in comparison to previous generations I don't think it's worth waiting for something that may or may not be drastically better. Nvidia is just as bad as AMD when it comes to over hyping upcoming tech, and Pascal isn't due to drop til Q3 2016 at least.

So it's up to you really, do you want to wait that long? The current generation are excellent and most feature upgradeable MXM 3.0 cards.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Msi gs60 or gs70 both have a 970m which is plenty for 1080p gaming, rgb steel series keyboards.... m.2 NVME SSD SUPPORT... nice, thin and light. Im about to be buying a gs70 with the i7 6700hq from xotic pc with some custom eching done

• 3 months later...

OK, I know it's been a while since any updates have been posted in this thread, but I finally ordered my laptop.

XMG U726 17.3"

3840x2160 Screen

1x32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM

Intel AC-8260

I'll also be buying 2 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD's and 2 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB M9T SATAIII hard drives for storage and and external blu-ray writer.

I want to thank everyone who gave me suggestions and advice, it's all been really helpful and I really appreciate it.

XMG U726 17.3"

3840x2160 Screen

1x32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM

Intel AC-8260

That is one powerful laptop, man.

Props.