Numpad/Fully Programmable Gamepad

MusicisMattz

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a reliable numpad, or fully programmable gamepad to work with the popular musical notation software Sibelius... does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing (niche market, I know). A lot of numpads seem to have one or two keys which don't translate well into Sibelius. I had a thought about using the Razer Nostromo (I can pick one up dirt cheap on ebay)?

“Hey, Chief! I might be wrong, but I think we’re flying into a mountain. This makes me feel … scared of the mountain! One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to …” *Boom*

Go for the gaming controller!

In addition to gaming I use my Logitech G13 in photo editing and stuff like that. Every key on it is programmable, except the six little buttons that are used to program the keys on the fly and control the screen/backlight. These days the software is very versatile. It can take single keys, macros, text strings, mouse clicks (clicks and scrolls only, no gestures, I think) and basic media controls and OS controls like send email or open browser. All this translated awesomely to all sorts of software. The thumb stick is customizable too but as far as I can tell, it's not analog, but just four on/off keys like everything else. It'd be a great substitute for a mouse in some situations if it was analog or took the strength of the input into consideration in some way.

What I find most awesome is that some/most programs other than games don't have customizable quick keys. Like CTRL+C is just that, no way to switch it to just C or something other I'd like to use. But it doesn't matter with G13 since the HW is customizable. 

This has never been an issue in non-game softwares and not in many games either but the G13 is recognized as a gaming controller and a keyboard (yes, the Windows device manager shows multiple devices). I think this happens with other controllers too but can't verify. Some games recognize all gaming controllers as pad controllers and even prevent from customizing the keys freely. Pads have analog thumb controls for direction, this doesn't and the mismatch can cause issues. To some degree the issue can be mended by disabling the gaming controller in device manager but I remember it being too much of an annoyance in some Assassins Creed game I played.

G13 and Logitechs in general can get pricey but I do think it's worth it just because they'll never break. The G13 I have is around four years old, no issues other than gunk from my hands. My G15 rev2 keyboard is like five or six years old, again, no issues. I use both daily and for hours-on-end and they work perfectly. I can only assume these will last me a lifetime. I guess, I'm a bit of a fanboy but it's because they've proven their worth. 

I've only handled Razer products at work (worked as an RMA handler in a retail store) Based on personal experience only, Razer products over-all tend to break down more than Logitech but Nostromo per se isn't that bad. Didn't see that one anywhere near as often as that stupid keyboard with the capacitive media controls or that one headset with the cord issues. 

The 2012/13 Razer Orbweaver is great, it also uses Cherry MX switches. Other than that Logitech does pretty solid controllers. You could also use software like XPadder with an official controller.