Macbook Pro vs Razer Blade 2014

Retreat

Hi can you guys help me. I am looking at getting a new laptop. I currently have a 2011 macbook pro which I like, but is getting really slow. I will use it for your basic web browsing and document editing plus some light gaming. Games I play are LoL, minecraft and Elder Scrolls Online.

Right now I am looking a two different options.

I can get a used 2014 razer blade  for about $1200 (A new one would be awesome..)  or I could buy a new macbook pro for $1500.  

Or are there any other good options in that price range? 

Unfortunately with my current situation a desktop is not an option. Maybe in the future though.

Coming from a Razer Blade owner myself, Id say just get the rMBP. Im currently trying to sell mine for one since I dont game on it :/

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

is your current MBP slow as in low framrates, or slow as in slow doing regular tasks?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

MBP is a piece of shit and no one should buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-13-Inch-Touchscreen-i5-5200U-Windows/dp/B00YI83REG/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

This is same specs or better than the 1500 dollar version of the macbook pro, while having just as good construction at 1/2 the price.

Here is a review.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430108-asus-zenbook-ux303la-ds52tus51t-review/

There is a 1080p version for the same price if you don't want to deal with lowering resolution in games (which you may or may not need to do.)

The xps 13 is also an option at the same price as the macbook pro.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Go for the macbook pro. going back to windows after using mac OS for so long will suck. OSX is just a better OS for literally everything but gaming. Though it will do fine with the games you listed. 

Go for the macbook pro. going back to windows after using mac OS for so long will suck. OSX is just a better OS for literally everything but gaming. Though it will do fine with the games you listed. 

Or productivity, or literally anything not surfing the web (and chrome>>>>>>>>>>>safari).

Source: Spent entire summer on OSX due to UNIX requirement, and can say, worst OS I have ever worked with.

But hey this isn't on topic now.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Run a antivirus scan and install a SSD on your current laptop.

I might try this the other problem is that I have only 4gb of memory. Is it possible to upgrade that to 8gb?

Coming from a Razer Blade owner myself, Id say just get the rMBP. Im currently trying to sell mine for one since I dont game on it :/

Why would you buy a gaming laptop and not game on it :P

give it to me 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why would you buy a gaming laptop and not game on it :P

give it to me 

But if off me! ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

But if off me! ^_^

I could :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Or productivity, or literally anything not surfing the web (and chrome>>>>>>>>>>>safari).

Source: Spent entire summer on OSX due to UNIX requirement, and can say, worst OS I have ever worked with.

But hey this isn't on topic now.

thats simply incorrect. 

I might try this the other problem is that I have only 4gb of memory. Is it possible to upgrade that to 8gb?

4GB is fine for most people, are you actually using all of it, or are you making assumptions. If you only use 3 gb its going to be just as fast whether or not you have 4 or 8.

MBP is a piece of shit and no one should buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-13-Inch-Touchscreen-i5-5200U-Windows/dp/B00YI83REG/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

This is same specs or better than the 1500 dollar version of the macbook pro, while having just as good construction at 1/2 the price.

Here is a review.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430108-asus-zenbook-ux303la-ds52tus51t-review/

There is a 1080p version for the same price if you don't want to deal with lowering resolution in games (which you may or may not need to do.)

The xps 13 is also an option at the same price as the macbook pro.

You also don't get apples customer service, and Asus has notoriously bad service. Also, I see way more people rocking old MacBooks than old windows burners, which I think says something about how good the build quality is on them, and how the OS is built to increase longevity.

Sager/Clevo NP9170

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz | Radeon HD 7970M 2GB | 12GB 1600MHz | 2x 240GB OCZ SSD | 750GB Hybrid Drive | Windows 10

Where are you getting this information from? I have an Asus laptop that had to go to service and the service I got was absolutely stellar. Way better than Apple's "support".

Are you really gonna bash apple on their customer support? They have a lot to be bashed for, but Customer Support isn't one of them. You can go in at any time and talk to a real person, who actually knows what he/she is talking about. Their geniuses have to go to a special school to learn every aspect of the product line and how to basically fix anything, and if they can't fix it they will replace it for free (in warranty) or for a decent price (out of warranty). 

Assus on the other hand, has infamously bad customer support. They make great, well priced products, just pray you never have any issues.

Sager/Clevo NP9170

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz | Radeon HD 7970M 2GB | 12GB 1600MHz | 2x 240GB OCZ SSD | 750GB Hybrid Drive | Windows 10

Hi can you guys help me. I am looking at getting a new laptop. I currently have a 2011 macbook pro which I like, but is getting really slow. I will use it for your basic web browsing and document editing plus some light gaming. Games I play are LoL, minecraft and Elder Scrolls Online.

Right now I am looking a two different options.

I can get a used 2014 razer blade  for about $1200 (A new one would be awesome..)  or I could buy a new macbook pro for $1500.  

Or are there any other good options in that price range? 

Unfortunately with my current situation a desktop is not an option. Maybe in the future though.

This this.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8657-S.html

You even have the option to select G-Sync.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I've owned a Macbook Pro for two years, and an Asus laptop for around the same time. One time I went to a Genius Bar to see if they could fix a bit of water damage in my laptop (I would've paid, doesn't have to be on warranty), but the guy had absolutely no idea what the hell he was doing, or talking about.

I then had to pay $200 at a Macbook repair store to get it fixed. 

Asus: my OS got corrupted. Talked to live support. Rep was very friendly. Told me where to send the laptop. Sent it. Got finished in 1-2 weeks (can't exactly remember). Picked it up. Worked perfect.

Stop reading fake reviews online and actually take real experiences from an owner of both.

LOLOLOLOL

So I'm just supposed to trust your obviously biased experiences over my own experiences with both companies?

LOL

Sager/Clevo NP9170