Ethernet Through Electrical

Tanner69046

So for some reason my dual monitors together are able to just completely block out wifi from reaching my PC. (Don't ask why but yes I narrowed it down to the monitors, in fact I took another set of monitors to test if it and it was indeed the monitors, but I wasn't spending 200$ just to get a wifi signal.) I have been, for about the past 8 months, drug a 50 ft ethernet cord across the house to get a solid internet connection. Linksys has this device that recieves an ethernet signal through the router to the device, plugs into the wall and sends the signal through the electrical wiring in the wall to the recieving device where you can connect an ethernet cord from there to your computer. Is this method reliable and safe? If I drop like a .5 mbps from this method I will be fine but I am just curious. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JG5S6U?redirect=true&ref_=pd_hud_ya_orders

Powerline adapters drop to almost wifi speeds when I use mine. I would try to avoid if possible and keep Ethernet, but if that's more of a hassle, then just get the thing.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

get powerline

its worth it

comeon

its only 0.5 mbps drop

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

I've never used one of these, but /r/pcmasterrace swears up and down about ethernet through electrical, as you put it.

Powerline is great

you will be limited to 500mbps

I use the DLink AV500 but its meh makes a buzzing sound otherwise fine

Dont put it through a surge protector

also no drop

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

So for some reason my dual monitors together are able to just completely block out wifi from reaching my PC. (Don't ask why but yes I narrowed it down to the monitors, in fact I took another set of monitors to test if it and it was indeed the monitors, but I wasn't spending 200$ just to get a wifi signal.) I have been, for about the past 8 months, drug a 50 ft ethernet cord across the house to get a solid internet connection. Linksys has this device that recieves an ethernet signal through the router to the device, plugs into the wall and sends the signal through the electrical wiring in the wall to the recieving device where you can connect an ethernet cord from there to your computer. Is this method reliable and safe? If I drop like a .5 mbps from this method I will be fine but I am just curious. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JG5S6U?redirect=true&ref_=pd_hud_ya_orders

i like this one

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442634376&sr=1-1&keywords=tplink+powerline

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

its not always reliable, sometimes it wont work well if its going through a fuse box or surge protector

if possible, always use an ethernet cable directly to the modem/router, it is the best way

if you have absolutely no other option then powerline is on, but I would still rather use a 50ft ethernet cable through the house

just run along the ceiling corners out of the way

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

get powerline

its worth it

comeon

its only 0.5 mbps drop

who told you it was a 0.5Mbps drop?

Because they're definitely wrong...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

who told you it was a 0.5Mbps drop?

Because they're definitely wrong...

oh

well thats what i head on /r/pcmasterrace

and its so little

for me i get a 0.5 drop

ITS JUST 0.5

Just because it says "up to 1gbps" does not mean that you will get even 10Mbps

It depends on the wiring of the home, and what circuits it has to pass through

and 90% of the time it is WAY below advertised speeds

Spoiler

I use a 50ft ethernet cable that runs through the hall...

I recently tested out my brothers powerline adapter set.  My speeds went from 75Mb/s to 45-50Mb/s (down).  I will be buying a set.  I can lose that speed to remove the cable in the hallway.

I would always recommend trying to find someone that already has one and test it in your home first.

I'd go further and say that you'll always get under advertised speeds. Because the number on the box is not only theoretical but it's also combining UL and DL.

Take "500Mbps" powerline as an example. That number isn't "500Mbps" in the same way that Gigabit Ethernet is "1Gbps". It's closer to 250Mbps because they're adding both UL and DL. Put it in pretty much ideal conditions in literally the adjacent socket? Because of various overheads you'll get anything from 120Mbps to 210Mbps depending on the adapter. But nobody ever uses a powerline adapter like that, more likely you'll have at least room between you and the adapter. At which point even with good wiring that "500Mbps" adapter drops down to ~70Mbps.

It's better than WiFi in some respects and the OP will probably get decent results. But lets not kid ourselves. It's not magic and it's not a replacement for Ethernet. Those numbers on the box are the same as the numbers on the box for WiFi. They're effectively meaningless unless you're using them as a yardstick to compare against other WiFi/Powerline devices.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

• 3 weeks later...

I use a 50ft ethernet cable that runs through the hall...

I recently tested out my brothers powerline adapter set.  My speeds went from 75Mb/s to 45-50Mb/s (down).  I will be buying a set.  I can lose that speed to remove the cable in the hallway.

I would always recommend trying to find someone that already has one and test it in your home first.

Well I guess the wiring in my house worked to my advantage because I didn't lose any speed at all through the wall. 

Well I guess the wiring in my house worked to my advantage because I didn't lose any speed at all through the wall. 

oh

well thats what i head on /r/pcmasterrace

and its so little

for me i get a 0.5 drop

ITS JUST 0.5

its not always reliable, sometimes it wont work well if its going through a fuse box or surge protector

if possible, always use an ethernet cable directly to the modem/router, it is the best way

if you have absolutely no other option then powerline is on, but I would still rather use a 50ft ethernet cable through the house

just run along the ceiling corners out of the way

noice

Not surprising because that's not how it works. All this means is that your internet connection is slower than the powerline adapter. You never said what speed your connection was so people just talked about powerline vs ethernet in general. And in general Powerline is quite a bit slower than Gigabit Ethernet. The ones you linked to are probably going to run somewhere around 30-50Mbps. If that's more than the speed of your internet connection? You're probably going to struggle to measure the difference in speed.

Powerline adapters drop to almost wifi speeds when I use mine. I would try to avoid if possible and keep Ethernet, but if that's more of a hassle, then just get the thing.

then the electrical in your house is bad

cause the drop should be very minimal

if the electrical in the house is bad..then yea..powerline adapters don't work well...if at all

powerline adapters work best in modern copper shielded wiring thats been done professional

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

then the electrical in your house is bad

cause the drop should be very minimal

This simply isn't true. All things being equal WiFi is faster than powerline. There's not much debate to be had, it just is. The problem is it gets complicated because of all the various factors. What sort of distance it is, what metric is important to you etc. There is no one answer. Actually let me just rank the three for each "metric".......

Bandwidth: Ethernet, WiFi, Powerline

Range: Ethernet, Powerline, WiFi

Latency: Ethernet, WiFi, Powerline

Consistency: Ethernet, Powerline, WiFi

Affordability: Ethernet, WiFi, Powerline

Ease of install: Powerline, WiFi, Ethernet

Mobility: WiFi, Powerline, Ethernet

Want the best possible connection for a device that's not going to move? Run Ethernet

Want a quick and easy stop-gap solution for a gaming machine on the other side of your house? Use Powerline

Want a solution for a non-gaming device that you're going to move around the place? WiFi is best.

The between cases? Lean towards the thing you think is most important

This simply isn't true. All things being equal WiFi is faster than powerline. There's not much debate to be had, that's just how it is. The problem is it gets complicated because of all the various factors...... actually let me just list each "metric" and which tech is better for each one

Speed: Ethernet > WiFi > Powerline

Latency: Ethernet > WiFi > Powerline

Consistency: Ethernet > Powerline > WiFi

Range: Ethernet > Powerline > WiFi

Cost: Ethernet > Powerline > WiFi

Ease of install: Powerline > WiFi > Ethernet

umm NO

powerline is DEFIANTLY faster..and if you have good wiring..its MUCH less problematic...

please stop BSing on this forum

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

umm NO

powerline is DEFIANTLY faster..and if you have good wiring..its MUCH less problematic...

please stop BSing on this forum

Do you have any numbers to back up your claims? Because here are mine. Here's a benchmark for one of the fastest powerline adapters available, Lets look at those numbers remembering that "Location A" is literally in the adjacent socket and so probably shouldn't count (it's adjacent, you'd use Ethernet there). Fair to assume that using said adapter you'd get something around 150Mbps or so. Lets be generous and say it's 250Mbps. Now here's the equivalent benchmark for AC1900 WiFi..... oh look, there's a red line there that's sitting at about 250Mbps for a while. Oh wait, that's AC1750. The AC1900 ones are sitting well within the 300-400Mbps range. Adjacent socket speeds for AV2 1200 powerline.

Same deal with lower spec gear. AV500 powerline kits generally get around 70Mbps or so. About on par with N300 WiFi. AV200? That runs closer to 40Mbps or so, I actually have one of those kits and it has served me well. But not for the speed which is about in-line with the speeds you can get on N150. Also yes there are some higher spec powerline kits, ones that say "AV2000" on the box. But that's an interesting story in and of itself.... and that's also a can of worms given there is also "higher spec" WiFi on the market. Whatever way you slice it I think it's a stretch to say it's "faster".

What it does have going for it though is better range and more consistent pings. Which means it'll still be chugging along at "not quite as fast as good WiFi" speeds as your WiFi signal fades away. That's the advantage. It's also generally easier to setup and sometimes it's cheaper. So if you want to sell the benefits of Powerline? Sell the actual benefits. Not these BS claims that it's faster or has lower pings. Because neither of those things are true.