Titan super computer folding ?

They use a HEAVILY customized Linux based OS, apps wouldn't even run.

Doesn't actually matter that much, the Folding@home network is approximately twice as powerful as the Titan is. The public network is nothing to sniff at.

which is the whole point, it creates a (virtual) supercomputer out of its network. 

No, you LITERALLY can't run Windows on it. Or really any normal OS. They are physically so different from normal hardware that it would just be impossible. Windows runs on our machines because it has drivers for consumer grade stuff, which is VASTLY different than what the Titan uses.

Usually the configurations are so incredibly different from standard hardware windows would be at a loss to even start. it so different that almost an entire linux OS was custom created for it. using only a few base bits of code 

It prolly wrecks every computer listed for folding combined.  It's considered one of the top tier super computers.

No it wouldn't, that is the entire point of a network like folding at home, it creates a massive supercomputer network, it acts like a supercomputer, only much much more powerful (because its staggeringly overwhelming amount of computing power). Think of it like this, Titan has tens of thousands of CPU's worth of power, folding at home has millions. 

so...

it wouldnt be worth it to fold on the titan?

If you even bothered coding your own OS for it, it would perform MUCH slower than the folding network as it is. It would be a powerful addition sure, but in all reality, the way the network currently is it beats a supercomputer and it costs them shit-all to run their virtual super computer.

Ya I know the titan couldn't fold I mean like think of how many wu's you could complete with that hardware if it was running a setup that you could fold on and everything worked

even if you built your own os, built your own custom version of the program to use a supercomputer as a node, it would end up being pointless and not actually adding that much to the over all network. It may solve problems faster, but the drawback is it would be doing it fast enough to make other parts of the network useless, (ie slower computers processing data that is already done because it can't serve it back to the network before titan is finished and needs the next bit of work a part likely being worked on by a slower computer not as able to give the network data). in the end adding a supercomputer to a virtual supercomputer just isn't a great idea. 

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

which is the whole point, it creates a (virtual) supercomputer out of its network. 

Usually the configurations are so incredibly different from standard hardware windows would be at a loss to even start. it so different that almost an entire linux OS was custom created for it. using only a few base bits of code 

No it wouldn't, that is the entire point of a network like folding at home, it creates a massive supercomputer network, it acts like a supercomputer, only much much more powerful (because its staggeringly overwhelming amount of computing power). Think of it like this, Titan has tens of thousands of CPU's worth of power, folding at home has millions. 

If you even bothered coding your own OS for it, it would perform MUCH slower than the folding network as it is. It would be a powerful addition sure, but in all reality, the way the network currently is it beats a supercomputer and it costs them shit-all to run their virtual super computer.

even if you built your own os, built your own custom version of the program to use a supercomputer as a node, it would end up being pointless and not actually adding that much to the over all network. It may solve problems faster, but the drawback is it would be doing it fast enough to make other parts of the network useless, (ie slower computers processing data that is already done because it can't serve it back to the network before titan is finished and needs the next bit of work a part likely being worked on by a slower computer not as able to give the network data). in the end adding a supercomputer to a virtual supercomputer just isn't a great idea. 

cool

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

I was joking.

i see. doesn't translate well through text. 

--Thread killer--

I thought my later posts made that clear.  xD

i skimmed it really fast i didn't see that lol 

--Thread killer--

• 2 weeks later...

What if IBM's Watson did this?

how bout ibm yellowstone?

so...

it wouldnt be worth it to fold on the titan?

well, ~14000 points per titan z core

Uh, no.

As other members have pointed out, you CAN'T fold on Titan, due to the way it's configured. Couple that with the fact that it runs a custom version of Linux and you can be certain Titan won't ever fold. 

i fold titan z, but config files all jacked up

Ya I know the titan couldn't fold I mean like think of how many wu's you could complete with that hardware if it was running a setup that you could fold on and everything worked

not tryin to be rude, but, why think when you know that its physically just impossible?

Imagine this on like one of those super IBM computers.

the company i work at has one of these they are so fukin fancy

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

Which model?  And, I heard they aren't cheap either.  The cheapest one IBM listed at 75,000 USD.

i dont know xD im ussualy not hanging around but i think its a z13

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

Apparently, depending on the model, they cost anywhere up to a few million each.  The business class model though is only 75k.

i guess its a nice one because of the goverment stuffz