[Build Log] Project Circuit - Watercooled Define S

MadPolygon

Hello and welcome to my first build log ever!

You can find my build log also in these forums: PCGH.de and Overclock.net

project circuit logo.jpg

This build log was a bit quiet for some time after I finished my CPU loop and first loop ever, because I had simply no time due to exams and other university stuff. But now I really want to get into and build a computer that not only performs good, but is also pleasing in a visual way. A lot of my plans were scrapped or changed over time and a loot of new ideas came up. So I'm not going with a blue color scheme as initially planned, but with a red and black one (plus some grey accents). It's just a bit easier to realize without painting the mainboard. Furthermore I want to incorporate the lighted circuit design that is already present on the motherboard throughout the build, which is also the reason for the new name.

Instead of soft tubing I'm now gonna use PETG hard tubes, which gives the loop a way better look and also presents me with a new challenge, because I've never done hard tubing before. I also bought a better camera to give you hopefully some reasonably good pictures to document my building process.

And much much more... xD

Parts:

= delivered
 = not delivered yet

Hardware:

• CPU  i5 6600K
  • Mainboard  Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
  • GPU  Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
  • RAM  8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz
  • SSD  Crucial MX200 250GB
  • HDD ☑ 1TB Seagate Desktop HDD (from old build)
  • Case  Fractal Design Define S
  • PSU  be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W CM

Watercooling:

• CPU-Block EK-Supremacy EVO (Nickel)
  • GPU-Block LiquidExtasy NarrowLine für 390 Nitro
  • Radiator EK Coolstream PE 360
  • Radiator EK Coolstream PE 240
  • Pump  Alphacool D5 VPP655 inkl. Plexiglas Aufsatz
  • Reservoir Bitspower Z-Multi 150 Watertank
  • Tubing Primochill PETG 13/10
  • Fittings Primochill Revolver Fittings schwarz mit Diamantschliff
  • Adapters Nanoxia CF1 90° und 45° Adapter (drehbar)
  • Ballvalve Alphacool Eiszapfen
  • Fans 6x EK Vardar F3 120
  • Sensor Aquacomputer Temperatursensor (inline)
  • Coolant Aquacomputer Double Protect
  • Dye Mayhems Deep Red
  • TIM  Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

Other Stuff:

• 2x 1m WS2812B RGB LED Strips
  • Arduino Nano
  • Nanoxia Sleeved Extensions

Modding:

• PSU-Cover: A cover for the PSU and lower part of the case (which is usually not that tidy :P) made out of plexiglas. I'm gonna use satiniced but not colorized plexiglas., which is 3mm thick. But because just plain plexiglas would be boring, I'll paint it from the backside with masked off circuit patters which will be backlit with the already mentioned arduino driven LEDs.
  • Lighting: To light everything up around 120 RGB LEDs will be used. They will be driven by an arduino nano. With a controlling software you can change the color and brightness however you want and hopefully other stuff too. I'm also swapping out the power led of the case.

Old starting post:

About me:
My name ist Fabian and I'm 21 years old and live in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. At the time being I'm studying in the computer science field in the form of a integrated degree program. I built my first PC almost exact two years ago. But the passion for computers and technical stuff started certainly alot earlier.

General information:
Expect my pictures not to be the greatest as I don't know anything about photography and will be only made with a digital camera. I wanted to lend a dslr, but it's on vacation (literally). But I will still try my best (tips appreaciated :) ).
Furthermore this is my first build log, so don't be to harsh. Tips and constructive critic welcome.

About the project:
The Budget of my first self-built PC was pretty small and therefore I was just looking to get the best bang for the buck. This time around my budget is alot higher and so aesthetics and look play a pretty important role too.
This is also one reason why I opted for a custom watercooling loop after debating quite a lot with myself. Not only does a custom loop look damn sexy and gives you lot of customization options, but also having fun tinkering around and the demand for best performance (overclocking). At the beginning it will only be a CPU only loop, but later (hopefully early next year) the GPU will be added too.

Goals for after completing the watercooling loop:
  • Install LEDs in the case for lighting (those will be rgb LEDs and are controlled through an arduino and a desktop application)
  • Paint the mainboard heatsinks
  • Custom sleeved cables

Parts:

= delivered
 = not delivered yet

Hardware:

• CPU  i5 6600K
  • Mainboard  Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
  • GPU  Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
  • RAM  8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz
  • SSD  Crucial MX200 250GB
  • HDD ☑ 1TB Seagate Desktop HDD (from old build)
  • Case  Fractal Design Define S
  • PSU  be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W CM

Watercooling:

• CPU-Block  EK-Supremacy EVO (Nickel)
  • Radiator  EK Coolstream PE 360
  • Pump  Alphacool D5 VPP655 incl. Plexi top
  • Reservoir  Bitspower Z-Multi 150 Watertank
  • Tubing  EK ZMT 16/10
  • Fittings  EK ACF Fitting 16/10
  • Adapters  Nanoxia CF1 90° und 45° Adapter (rotary)
  • Fans  6x EK Vardar F3 120
  • Sensor  Aquacomputer Temperaturesensor (inline)
  • Liquid  Aquacomputer Double Protect
  • TIM  Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

Peripherals:

• 2. Monitor  Dell U2414H
  • Keyboard  Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact

I will propably write some thoughts and stuff I want to do with them, when they arrive and I have took some pictures. I will add those comments here.

Further ideas:
I will add some ideas for modifications and customizations here.

• Some stickers with custom design for the fans. Some made of thin aluminium would be cool, so they shimmer a bit in the LED light.

Happy reading! :)

I watercooled my build below that is also in a Define S. Just a heads up, it's a very easy case to build in and cable management will be a breeze. 

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

10/10 on that pic doe did you make it or find it?

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

subbed :D

Thank you :)

I watercooled my build below that is also in a Define S. Just a heads up, it's a very easy case to build in and cable management will be a breeze. 

Yeah, I was initially going for a Enthoo Evolv (mATX), but due to availability issues I revised my build and decided to go for the Define S. It will be definitely be easier to build in, although I would have liked the challange to build in the Evolv  ;)

10/10 on that pic doe did you make it or find it?

Thanks :D, search for something like "polygon generator". You can do a lot of stuff with such neat little tool, if you find the right settings. I still edited it a bit.

Will propably make a more fancy version down the road  B)

Build Status:

At least the package with the mainboard and ram should be here today, maybe even a second one with some watercooling stuff and the new keyboard (my first mechanical, can't wait :lol: )

can't wait

So do I :D

Also some other news: The vendor where I ordered the GPU among other parts send me a message that the GPU I ordered isn't available anymore and that they upgrade to the newer version for free.

I was wondering and checked the site and there seems to be a new revision of the Sapphire 390 nitro, that is clocked 30Mhz higher and includes a backplate. I haven't seen that card listed except at the shop I ordered from and the Sapphire site.

So free backplate upgrade :D

Ok, got two packages today. The bad thing is that the camera I wanted to use seems to have a defective focus motor so I had to use my Xperia S :angry:. But see for yourself :)

First package with mainboard and RAM (somewhere deep down in that box :D)

zFtPn5S.jpg

473C5b8.jpg

Qm9Bf3k.jpg

wtraG2W.jpg

The heatsinks and overall design are one of the main reasons I went with this motherboard despite having no major improvements over the Pro Gaming.

I just love that anodized aluminium look and I think it will fit well in the kind of industrial black,grey theme I'm going for. I'm looking to paint those red lines and the "Ranger" label sometime.

Xhk5JxH.jpg

The accessories: 4 Sata cables, some stickers and doorhanger, M.2 screw, pin extension for easy installation of the case i/o cables and of course the i/o-shield (if it only was black -_- )

grccvk5.jpg

The RAM, not much to say here, can't go wrong with black

SZXXAte.jpg

2EY5GM3.jpg

P30Q3rF.jpg

The second package with the keyboard and some watercooling parts.

QiConRw.jpg

Loving the EK packaging :D

kJYCgDd.jpg

d5Y5zQI.jpg

The vardar F3 fans, with all black and sleeved cables

N5V9uD3.jpg

Radiator box

Armrk2h.jpg

xKxQQx7.jpg

Fins, fins and more fins

sMlHBRX.jpg

Sweet shiny EK badge 

h74T1A8.jpg

The 150mm res

5WbbVXH.jpg

Feels and looks nice...

ePnV8Id.jpg

... but definitely needs to be cleaned, as there are some leftovers from cutting the plexi.

P5IB829.jpg

EK 16/10 fittings

tMoCELj.jpg

That crappy image does not live up to my real life impressions

Dppka0x.jpg

Tubing, thermal grease and pwm splitters

ETMecE5.jpg

Man that's thick...

V6VmX5I.jpg

Test fitting a fitting :D

rXEvr3N.jpg

Will use Aquacomputer Double Protect in my loop

igd0mWm.jpg

My first mechanical keyboard  B)

PGivKZj.jpg

Ahhh more aluminium

l2fQEbQ.jpg

Hnnnngg

UzFYeGt.jpg

Testing if all fans are working

gSFi7iJ.jpg

Next thing is I'm doing is getting some distilled water and flushing that radiator.

Cleaning my rad right now. Only used distilled water so far.
Can I use citric acid? The one I have home is labeled as descaler and contains citric acid, lactic acid and malic acid. What mixing ratio should I aim for?

Cleaning my rad right now. Only used distilled water so far.

Can I use citric acid? The one I have home is labeled as descaler and contains citric acid, lactic acid and malic acid. What mixing ratio should I aim for?

use distilled water and vinegar in a 80/20 solution (water is 80 vinegar is 20) heat it up then shake out the rads with that until the rads dont have anymore particles in the water your draining from it. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Ok, gonna buy some vinegar tomorrow. Anything I have to look out for?

Flushed the rad about 7 times now, always shaked it heavily and there still some spots in the water. Gonna continue tomorrow.

Ok, gonna buy some vinegar tomorrow. Anything I have to look out for?

Flushed the rad about 7 times now, always shaked it heavily and there still some spots in the water. Gonna continue tomorrow.

i recommend reading the water cooling sticky over at toms hardware give you some extra info. just keep refilling and shaking the rad until very little or no particulates come out 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i recommend reading the water cooling sticky over at toms hardware give you some extra info. just keep refilling and shaking the rad until very little or no particulates come out

Will do, thank you. 

Subbed!!

Thanks  ;)

Update: Another package should be in the mail today. It's either the case or psu + pump  :D

Update:

Sadly the package did not arrive, despite saying "delivered" in the shipment tracking. Not even a message was left. Immediatly contacted the support. Hopefully that problem is resolved soon.

But suprisingly the new monitor arrived today. And also the radiator is now clean and I got the fans installed.

The package with the rest of the main components arrives on tuesday (hopefully) so I can start testing all the hardware out of the case.

32.jpg

That was after the first round, those black spots kept coming out for a long time...

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg36.jpg

Update:

The rest of the hardware came in yesterday, well except for the case, hopefully thats coming today.

My room is an absolute mess right now  :P Hardware is being tested and I'm in the process of installing windows. I already made photos of everything yesterday, maybe I'll upload them today.

Update:

With some delay here are the new pictures  :P.

Hardware runs pretty smooth so far. Windows 10 is installed and the first Firestrike and Cinebench benchmarks are done (at stock clock).

The case is still not delivered, contacted support, hope they can figure out what's wrong. Still hoping it comes tomorrow.

Without the case I can't do a test assembly of the loop (wish I had ordered some more cheap tubing for that<_< ).

For now I'm installing all my programs and importing old data.

37.jpg

The pump is way bigger than I thought  :blink: 

38.jpg

Tempsensor for the mainboard to control all the fans based on water temp, some cheap thermal paste for testing and a shoggy sandwich for the pump

39.jpg40.jpg

Definitely need to make some sleeved extensions...

41.jpg

The smallest, but most expensive package  ^_^ 

42.jpg

The two main pieces plus more parts

43.jpg

Sooo big  :o 

44.jpg

Backplate

45.jpg46.jpg

Ghetto benchtable on cardboard  B) 

47.jpg

It's alive  :D 

48.jpg

The laser cutter for the jet plates was propably not calibrated right. I will see if EK can send me replacements.

49.jpg50.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update:
Case finally arrived yesterday. I'm currently setting up the loop and while I'm not 100% satisfied with the connections at the res, that's propably the only way I can do it with the adapters I have available at the moment. If someone has an idea for making it better just post it :).
Later I'll test the loop outside of the case and let it run for a few hours with distilled water only.
Here's a little teaser how it currently looks:

teaser.jpg

Thanks for the sub  ;)

When I'm adding the GPU to the loop I will maybe use clear tubing with colored coolant. But for the time being I thought the matt black will give it a more industrial look which I quite like  ^_^

Should've used clear tubing, it looks better imo. Nice build subbed. :P

i really like those matte black tubing :P

I love the case. It was a complete pleasure to work with.

It is definitely the easiest case to build in for it's given size.

I quite like the look of the pump. Will look even better if you do change to coloured coolant :)

I might look into changing mine for that pump.

To give you an idea, here is a pic of mine in a Define S. Clear tubing with white pastel coolant.

I'm also using a EK PE360 rad up top, thou my fans are pull rather than push like yours.

Hope it gives you an idea of tube layout & how you would like yours to look.

20150914_175737.jpg

I love the case. It was a complete pleasure to work with.

It is definitely the easiest case to build in for it's given size.

I quite like the look of the pump. Will look even better if you do change to coloured coolant :)

I might look into changing mine for that pump.

To give you an idea, here is a pic of mine in a Define S. Clear tubing with white pastel coolant.

I'm also using a EK PE360 rad up top, thou my fans are pull rather than push like yours.

Hope it gives you an idea of tube layout & how you would like yours to look.

20150914_175737.jpg

you should get white ram and a white case and white rad i dont think i have ever seen a full white build