Case

Amazon: http://geni.us/pu1

NCIX: n/a

Power Supply

Manufacturer: http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/index.php?do=proinfo&id=2347

Heatsink

Amazon: http://geni.us/3X8Z

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1QwU36y

Not sure why I listed out all those components.. I'm really not sure I'd recommend you run out and buy them. It's just mostly stuff we had lying around.. And so we decided to make them into a router!

Part 1:

Part 2: 

First

EDIT: already Vesseled this, though...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

2nd

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I was going to first this like 5 minutes ago but I felt it was too "childish"

Wait why didn't I then?

lol

EDIT: or kek, wherever you hail from...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

A moment of silence for those motherboards.

@LinusTech I like these server like videos with a LTT twist on it.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

FIRST PAGE FTW

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I always love these kinds of videos.

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350

If you need a place to put your newly built router, check out this video.

Kids, this is why you build machines outside of the case with minimal setups to see if they actually work before you do all this work to install them,

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I think Linus already has a place for his rackmount router... in the server rack.

I think that is the least of the issues with putting it in a Router Table.

I'm not saying that its the backplate, but its the backplate. Its probably coated with something non conductive but since you've cut it and exposed bare metal which was pretty close to exposed solder points, that might have caused a spark to jump onto the bracket shorting out the motherboard.

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

Really enjoyed this video, even though it did make me cringe a little. Keep em coming! Can't wait to see how you end up making this work.

Love the idea, but man I hated this video. I was so excited when I heard you were doing this video. You should have done much more research into the parts. As entertaining as it is sometimes, it would be nice to look up to you and your projects. I think people should look at your projects and say "Wow that is cool. I want to do something cool that works." I don't think people like thinking "Wow, Linus keeps failing/doing a terrible job at these projects." Not that you have been failing a bunch, but failure of projects/the number of technical difficulties are increasing and it's just getting more frustrating to watch. This Part 1 should not have been posted. Should have scrapped it all and started over once you had an actual idea about what you were doing and possibly changed the parts so they actually work and aren't freaking hot glued, ground down, and ripped apart! Some people would like to do the projects you are doing but don't want to take these big risks like majorly modding/hacking their materials. Some people just want something that they can put together without a workshop and possibly ruining their hardware. I love the creativity but want something that we can possibly do as well without a team and a bunch of extra hardware.

With that being said, I do really appreciate your videos (almost every time) and please ignore the haters and just be your self; but be a little professional please.

*end rant

I think i noticed the problem. The cpu cooler MAY be touching the fan headers and MAY be short circuiting the motherboard.

(I'm sorry for my english i dont come from the US or Canada. if someone noticed that and posted a comment or a reply i apologize)

Everything you do in this video makes me question your credibility.

You put a $370 server chip in a router ..... WTF WHY?

You did not check for compatiblity of parts.

Here is what you should have done...... use a 2U/4U rackmount chassis since you want to rack mount it. (I would have just used a Mini-ITX case and called it a day)

A 2U/4U chassis supports a standard ATX PSU, a Standard IO shield, proper airflow, any motherboard you wish to use. Costs roughly the same as the 1U chassis you got.  And can still be rackmounted.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQY36DC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Example: http://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-Server-Chassis-Cases-D-214-MATX/dp/B00A7NBO6E/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1442138029&sr=8-21&keywords=2u+rackmount+chassis

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Thickness-Rackmount-Chassis-RSV-L4412/dp/B00N9CXGSO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1442137996&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=2u+rackmount+chassis

You could have made it an interesting build if you built the router in something like the Coolermaster Elite 110 and then decided to DIY rackmount that case.

You could have easily made do with a dual core Atom chip or one of the Quad/Octo core integrated chips.

If Linus comes at your workplace, Save your servers x(!

@LinusTech Are you sure the backplate isn't touching any solder points under it? Because this looks like shortcircuit all the way.

I won't complain about the shield, but you'd have bought a 1U blank shield for it and cut the ports in it... which also should've been included in your "airflow talk" in this video, as the air goes through the I/O shield too

1UIOUniversal.jpg

This is a signature.

Interesting, building a pfsense box myself at the moment. Hopefully less issues with hardware :)

M350 case with atom2758 mini itx board and 12 volt power brick as psu.

This is perhaps less redundant than with dual redundant psu. But how high is the availability of the single isp line ?

Would dual firewall with carp and 2nd line not be better. (2 nd line other provider/technique)

@LinusTech

...re you sure the backplate isn't touching any solder points under it?...

/|\ Totally agree but including the cpu rad

just wanted to mention bought some kind of thermopads or the plastic thing from sub-zero build to isolate Motherboard from plate

what bought fancy DIY wind tunnel inside the case to cool the cpu rad?

Idk about you guys , but that backplate is touching those solder points ... 

1JRZPGS.jpg

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

@LinusTech I agree with the others saying it is the backplate, only thing it could be. Maybe 3d print one or put tape on the metal one to keep from shorting?

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -