PC won't boot/post after lowering vCore - PLEASE HELP!

Hey everyone,

I have a very big problem! Yesterday, I lowered the vCore in the bios to 1.25 (which seemed like a normal voltage... :'(), saved it and then restarted the computer. Unfortunately, it didn't post or boot and my monitor remained in standby, and I have been in a dilemma ever since.

I searched around the web and tried clearing the CMOS using the jumper and removing the battery to no avail (I tried booting with and without the battery. The jumper is back in it's original position). I also tried ASUS' Bios Flashback option, which also did not work. I am pretty much at a loss right now.

When looking at the motherboard when the computer is turned on, an ASUS X99-PRO, the VGA_LED is a solid RED which doesn't seem right. The PWR_LED is also solid RED. All fans are spinning and the GPU (GTX 980ti Gaming G6 from Gigabyte) seems to be working fine.

The code indicator on the motherboard, after going through a bunch of numbers, stops at 02, which when referring to the motherboard manual means ''microcode'', though I have no idea what that means.

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE:

http://i.imgur.com/4iWUn7f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NzPPJfw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ukhSoOj.jpg

These are the key specs:

• Intel Core i7 5930k
  • ASUS x99 PRO Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair LPX Vengeance RAM
  • Gigabyte GTX 980ti Gaming G1
  • Cooler Master v850 PSU
  • Corsair H110 AIO Liquid Cooling

Please help me out here! Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything more that you need to know, please let me know.

Properly clear your CMOS and it should boot into the BIOS/UEFI.

Sometimes even the normal way of clearing the CMOS does not work, i am talking about the CMOS jumper. Try these steps....

1. shut down the PC
  2. unplug the PSU's power cord
  3. remove the MOBO's battery \
  4. place the battery back in but reverse it(meaning, flip the battery and put the flat side in first) 
  5. wait 30 seconds
  6. take the battery out again and put it in the proper way( the raised side first)
  7. ensure the q-connector is properly on the pins( sometimes this comes loose, don't know why)
  8. power on the PC
Edited by Leonard

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

If the motherboard doesn't feature a clear CMOS option, just take out the battery :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Flip the switch on your PSU then unplug your PSU.  Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds, then plug it back in, flip the switch back to on, and try to boot it up.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Properly clear your CMOS and it should boot into the BIOS/UEFI.

I tried clearing the CMOS by moving the jumper for a minute. I also removed the CMOS battery for a minute. It still doen't boot. Did I do something wrong?

If the motherboard doesn't feature a clear CMOS option, just take out the battery :P

I did! Please see my OP. I tried it both it didn't work..did I do something wrong?

Flip the switch on your PSU then unplug your PSU.  Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds, then plug it back in, flip the switch back to on, and try to boot it up.

Unfortunately this doesn't work..:(

More help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I tried clearing the CMOS by moving the jumper for a minute. I also removed the CMOS battery for a minute. It still doen't boot. Did I do something wrong?

---gone---

I edited my post, try those steps.

I edited my post, try those steps.

@Leonard With MOBO battery, do you mean the CMOS battery (which looks like a battery that goes into a watch)?

@Leonard With MOBO battery, do you mean the CMOS battery (which looks like a battery that goes into a watch)?

Yes but it is bigger than a watch battery and it is silver in color.

Yes but it is bigger than a watch battery and it is silver in color.

Alright, I will try that now and update here with the results. 

Alright, I will try that now and update here with the results. 

B)

B)

Still doesn't work unfortunately :'(. Something has changed though, which is the Qcode. It was 02 at first (see OP) but it now shows 79 which, according to the manual, means ''CSM initialization''.  All other things are the same. Please see these (not so high quality) pictures I took, this is how it looked before I turned the battery upside down and put it back normally. The only difference is the Qcode number:

Any more ideas? I am getting really desperate :(

EDIT: after shutting down and booting again, the Qcode now stops at 02 again, just like it originally did. Not sure if that's good or bad.

EDIT 2: it seems to be switching between boots: number 02 and 79. The VGA_LED is also still RED, as well as the PWR_LED. Could those be any indicators?

Still doesn't work unfortunately :'(. Something has changed though, which is the Qcode. It was 02 at first (see OP) but it now shows 79 which, according to the manual, means ''CSM initialization''.  All other things are the same. Please see these (not so high quality) pictures I took, this is how it looked before I turned the battery upside down and put it back normally. The only difference is the Qcode number:

Any more ideas? I am getting really desperate :(

Geezz....

you are not suppose to have all the RAM on one side. Put the RAM in corresponding slots on both sides of the CPU(see manual)

The top PCIe slot is most times the default "on" slot, so shut down the PC and then put your GPU in the top PCIe slot. and boot again.

Geezz....

you are not suppose to have all the RAM on one side. Put the RAM in corresponding slots on both sides of the CPU(see manual)

The top PCIe slot is most times the default "on" slot, so shut down the PC and then put your GPU in the top PCIe slot. and boot again.

According to the manual, the PCIe slot at the top is PCIe 1, while the one the GPU is inserted in right now is PCIe 3.0, which is where it is supposed to be, right? Also, the GPU worked fine before. But if you insist, I can try of course!

As for the RAM, in the manual the slots are Labelled A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2. Though I don't see a specific way to put them in. What do you recommend?

I am extremely sorry for all these questions...I hope you don't mind. 

EDIT: moved the GPU to the top slot but once again to no avail unfortunately.

According to the manual, the PCIe slot at the top is PCIe 1, while the one the GPU is inserted in right now is PCIe 3.0, which is where it is supposed to be, right? Also, the GPU worked fine before. But if you insist, I can try of course!

As for the RAM, in the manual the slots are Labelled A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2. Though I don't see a specific way to put them in. What do you recommend?

I am extremely sorry for all these questions...I hope you don't mind. 

holy toledo batman.....jumping frijoles....... :P

no need to be sorry that is what the community is for.

PCIe 1 means PCIe slot #1 it has 3.0 speed and this motherboard has 3x PCIe 3.0 slots. You can put the GPU in slot #2 as you have it but in most cases ASUS MOBOs have slot one as the default in the UEFI and the others are either on auto or off. From the pictures is am seeing the q-LED seems to be stuck on the GPU which indicates a problem there and in most cases it means no GPU is present.

One stick in A1 then one stick in C1 and like A2 corresponds with C2, just like B1 corresponds with D1, is what i mean by corresponding slots in either RAM slots. What i would do is check which slots are for OCing and put them in those slots. This picture is from the manual. It shows how to properly install RAM, be it 1/2/4/6/8 sticks.

post-3854-0-22971100-1441823190_thumb.pn

holy toledo batman.....jumping frijoles....... :P

no need to be sorry that is what the community is for.

PCIe 1 means PCIe slot #1 it has 3.0 speed and this motherboard has 3x PCIe 3.0 slots. You can put the GPU in slot #2 as you have it but in most cases ASUS MOBOs have slot one as the default in the UEFI and the others are either on auto or off. From the pictures is am seeing the q-LED seems to be stuck on the GPU which indicates a problem there and in most cases it means no GPU is present.

One stick in A1 then one stick in C1 and like A2 corresponds with C2, just like B1 corresponds with D1, is what i mean by corresponding slots in either RAM slots. What i would do is check which slots are for OCing and put them in those slots. This picture is from the manual. It shows how to properly install RAM, be it 1/2/4/6/8 sticks.

attachicon.gifslots.png

Lol....sorry :P

So, I have put the RAM in correctly now. However, no dice.

As for the GPU, how would it be possible for it to just not work out of the blue? It worked fine before...Any ideas? I mean, it was only the vCore I changed when this all happened.

Lol....sorry :P

So, I have put the RAM in correctly now. However, no dice.

As for the GPU, how would it be possible for it to just not work out of the blue? It worked fine before...Any ideas? I mean, it was only the vCore I changed when this all happened.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no, it depends on the UEFI/BIOS default parameters. Have you tried the GPU in slot #1, try it.

Also, which Q-LEDs are on steadily?

Going to game soon so i will leave the forums soon.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no, it depends on the UEFI/BIOS default parameters. Have you tried the GPU in slot #1, try it.

Also, which Q-LEDs are on steadily?

Going to game soon so i will leave the forums soon.

I see. I moved it up, but once again to no avail. The leds that are on steadily (or solid) are PWR_LED (RED), RST_LED (reset led, GREEN) and VGA_LED (RED). No other leds are are on if I see correctly.

I understand that you have to leave soon, but I do want to ask you to check back here if you can, and if you don't mind doing so. I really need to fix this, as you probably understand :P

I see. I moved it up, but once again to no avail. The leds that are on steadily (or solid) are PWR_LED (RED), RST_LED (reset led, GREEN) and VGA_LED (RED). No other leds are are on if I see correctly.

I understand that you have to leave soon, but I do want to ask you to check back here if you can, and if you don't mind doing so. I really need to fix this, as you probably understand :P

Normally, when you have the rst LED on steadily it means you mess up some one or set of parameters, you should press the rst button for the CPU parameter recall to happen, i can't say why it didn't happen automatically, it normally does with a message like OC failed and enter UEFI/BIOS to reset parameters.

Hope you understand this....Now the pwr LED is a bit different, it expresses an issue/s with the power delivery, where is what you need to troubleshoot but judging from the GPU LED being on steadily i feel the configuration is a bit off there somehow. I am not sure from the pictures how you have the GPU plugged to the PSU but i would use the two separate PCIe cables and not use the extra connector on the one PCIe cable for the two power ports on the GPU. 

I will check back from time to time dude don't worry.

Normally, when you have the rst LED on steadily it means you mess up some one or set of parameters, you should press the rst button for the CPU parameter recall to happen, i can't say why it didn't happen automatically, it normally does with a message like OC failed and enter UEFI/BIOS to reset parameters.

Hope you understand this....Now the pwr LED is a bit different, it expresses an issue/s with the power delivery, where is what you need to troubleshoot but judging from the GPU LED being on steadily i feel the configuration is a bit off there somehow. I am not sure from the pictures how you have the GPU plugged to the PSU but i would use the two separate PCIe cables and not use the extra connector on the one PCIe cable for the two power ports on the GPU. 

I will check back from time to time dude don't worry.

Thanks, you're great!  ^_^

First off, I have read on other websites that some people leave the CMOS battery out all night, to find it working again next day. Since it's 10:35 PM here, that is what I will try too.

As for the RST part...I am sorry but I don't understand. Should I just press the reset button on the motherboard? 

Lastly, for the PWR and VGA led, it has worked like this before. But I will of course try using a separate cable if I have one left in the PSU's box. Perhaps this is just the thing to resolve this issue! :)

If I don't reply the coming hours, I am probably asleep. I will reply back tommorow morning or afternoon (my time). 

Thanks, you're great!  ^_^

First off, I have read on other websites that some people leave the CMOS battery out all night, to find it working again next day. Since it's 10:35 PM here, that is what I will try too.

As for the RST part...I am sorry but I don't understand. Should I just press the reset button on the motherboard? 

Lastly, for the PWR and VGA led, it has worked like this before. But I will of course try using a separate cable if I have one left in the PSU's box. Perhaps this is just the thing to resolve this issue! :)

If I don't reply the coming hours, I am probably asleep. I will reply back tommorow morning or afternoon (my time). 

Okay. Also, after you get this resolved, i recommend you install the latest UEFI/BIOS version.

Okay.

The RST part, means for you to press it and let them MOBO do something called CPU parameter recall, basically it reset stuff to a default setting. I had to enable mine on my MOBO so the MOBo would do it automatically for me and the MOBO did come so with the default UEFI/BIOS but one of my UEFI/BIOS updates had it set to disable, so i enabled it.

Cool.

Enjoy the sleep.

Okay. Also, after you get this resolved, i recommend you install the latest UEFI/BIOS version.

Okay.

The RST part, means for you to press it and let them MOBO do something called CPU parameter recall, basically it reset stuff to a default setting. I had to enable mine on my MOBO so the MOBo would do it automatically for me and the MOBO did come so with the default UEFI/BIOS but one of my UEFI/BIOS updates had it set to disable, so i enabled it.

Cool.

Enjoy the sleep.

Great, thanks for the explanation. I will try that either tommorow morning or afternoon. Hopefully it will be resolved. I was already running the lastest BIOS version by the way, before this dilemma.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks and have a good night!

Unfortunately both the battery and RST button did not work. I'm afraid I tried just about everything..what do you think?

@Leonard I removed the 980Ti and installed a very old GPU from my old computer. This resulted in the same problem, which probably means that my 980Ti is not the culprit.

Unfortunately both the battery and RST button did not work. I'm afraid I tried just about everything..what do you think?

@Leonard I removed the 980Ti and installed a very old GPU from my old computer. This resulted in the same problem, which probably means that my 980Ti is not the culprit.

I would conclude that too, then it has to be the MOBO. You said you were going to leave the CMOS battery out over night and that didn't work either right?

I doubt you could have killed the CPU or MOBO by lowering the CPU voltage, is the auxiliary power connector properly plugged in?

My next move would be to take apart everything and then put it back together.

I would conclude that too, then it has to be the MOBO. You said you were going to leave the CMOS battery out over night and that didn't work either right?

I doubt you could have killed the CPU or MOBO by lowering the CPU voltage, is the auxiliary power connector properly plugged in?

My next move would be to take apart everything and then put it back together.

Yes, that is correct.

Everything was plugged in correctly. I think I will be returning both the MOBO and the CPU for a replacement under the warranty, just to be sure, as it seems all other components are working. Do you think that is a good idea? When working in the BIOS, I kept all settings between the recommendations by ASUS' themselves, and since the Haswell-E platform is unlocked, I am guessing the not-so-big overclock I had (4,2ghz) won't matter either.