is a generic power supply okay for gtx 950?

sanderlawrence

I am going to build a budget gaming pc and can a generic power supply handle my graphics card? the maximum output of my psu is 600 watts.

If you have 1 6pin then yes, it will be enough

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

I am going to build a budget gaming pc and can a generic power supply handle my graphics card? the maximum output of my psu is 600 watts.

Depends on who makes the "generic" power supply. Some are really good, while other are fire hazards. If  the PSU feels cheap and lightweight, I wouldn't risk your hardware.

Depends on who makes the "generic" power supply. Some are really good, while other are fire hazards. If  the PSU feels cheap and lightweight, I wouldn't risk your hardware.

The 950 is not really a heavy power using card....tho i can't put my finger on it, the psu should be fine.Maybe if we knew the manufacturer and the model we could tell

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Don't risk your hardware. Just buy some decent power supply. My generic power supply just died last week and I am happy that i replaced it with a corsair cx430.

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

The 950 is not really a heavy power using card....tho i can't put my finger on it, the psu should be fine.Maybe if we knew the manufacturer and the model we could tell

Some of the sketchy "OEM/generic" PSU's use very lax ratings. I've seen some 600w PSU's with only 300w available on the 12v rail, and the other 300w is for the 5 and 3.3v rails. And then there is the real question: "Are these specifications even real", since some companies make only 1 PSU and sell them as different wattages with different stickers. If the PSU in question is from a prebuilt and made by Delta then sure it will be fine, but if its something like a HEC or LiteON(or even worse) then its not worth risking the hardware.

If you have 1 6pin then yes, it will be enough

It doesn't have but the graphics card has a bundled molex to 6 pin adaptor? is it still okay?

It doesn't have but the graphics card has a bundled molex to 6 pin adaptor? is it still okay?

Might be a problem, you might draw a little too much power and turn it into a hazzard

ps:read hwat the dude above said cuz he is right

Can you post a picture of the sticker that is attached to the psu?

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

A GTX 950 will never output anywhere near 600 watts lol xD

A Corsair CX430 is cheap and far better than most generic PSUs. Just get one of those to power it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I would use it in a heartbeat, Looks better then my old enermax 450 or LiteON 220 watt unit. Probably last another 20 years