r9 290 asus reference vs r9 380

Abel225
Go to solution Solved by Shoob,

Most of these cards were used for bitcoin mining and their lifespan is surely reduced. Reference 290's run at 94 degrees, sound like a jet engine and sometimes throttle their performance. Getting a 380 is much safer, even though is a weaker card.

Hey guys!

I found a used r9 290 for 50 bucks cheaper then the cheapest r9 380. Is it worth it to buy the r9 290 used? Ofcourse I would check it if it works and what condition it is. The question is is it worth it?

Thanks for the help!!

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

Alcatel OneTouch D5... IT WORKS!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BxMjTW  

Most of these cards were used for bitcoin mining and their lifespan is surely reduced. Reference 290's run at 94 degrees, sound like a jet engine and sometimes throttle their performance. Getting a 380 is much safer, even though is a weaker card.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Okay. If I found one that was not used for mining is it worth it? Or is it always risky to get a used 290?

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

Okay. If I found one that was not used for mining is it worth it? Or is it always risky to get a used 290?

How do you know that is wasn't used for mining? As @Pandalf said, it's much safer to get the 380. 

How do you know that is wasn't used for mining? As @Pandalf said, it's much safer to get the 380.

Okay. Then I'll go that route probably! Thanks!

There's always a risk when purchasing used hardware. A lot of people got reference 290s for mining and they are only a good deal if they have a transferable warranty and you slap a waterblock on it, because with the reference cooler they run at their limit temperature and are really, really loud.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

you guys do realise a 290 is much better than a 380 right? its basically 290 vs 285, id rather get the 290.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Is it possible for you to test the 290 before buying?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Is it possible for you to test the 290 before buying?

Yes it is possible for multiple cards!

Yes it is possible for multiple cards!

I suggest test the cards for artifacts/stability before buying it and if possible, take a peek at their overclocking potential too.

If the result is good, get one and slap a 3rd party aftermarket cooler.

Btw, are all of them out of warranty?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I suggest test the cards for artifacts/stability before buying it and if possible, take a peek at their overclocking potential too.

If the result is good, get one and slap a 3rd party aftermarket cooler.

Btw, are all of them out of warranty?

Yes all are out of warranty. One provides warranty untill January 2016. None were overclocked before, and I asked them what they were using it for. Most said only gaming and tv shows. Here in hungary bitcoin mining is not that big of a thing. PC components tend to be priced higher.

I found a saphire tri-x 290 that is as much as a r9 380. That soudns really good to me!