[Discussion] eGPU + TB3 Laptop or Desktop + Core M Hybrid?

Use case:

People who want performance at home and a decently powerful x86 device OTG, without breaking the bank.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone needs the same functionality, we could discuss budgets and stuff here. I know PC models with TB3 will only start appearing in Q4 but having a fleshed-out plan first would be great. Core M hybrids in the surface form factor are coming out soon too.

I'm currently on a G55VW with an i7-3630QM and a GTX 660M. The CPU is still great but the GPU isn't sufficient for me anymore. I'm also very interested in getting a Rift next year, so I'll have to go with a 970 equivalent too.

I'm a university student who uses CAD programs - my current portable device is a first-gen Surface RT which only does spreadsheets and documents. Bringing the G55VW along is very tedious - I walk quite a distance to campus everyday.

eGPU + TB3 Laptop:

I'm more inclined towards this option - this way I won't need two separate devices, just an extra GPU. I wouldn't need a bulky desktop too. Problem is - I want an ultrabook, though I'm not sure if the 45W H-series come in ultrabook form factors. Will a U-series processor be sufficient for gaming on very high settings? Also, what would be better, getting a processor with an Iris Pro iGPU with eDRAM or just getting a cheap dGPU along with the laptop?

Desktop + Core M Hybrid

How much more economical with this setup be? Wonder if Core M is powerful enough to run CAD programs and let me play some casual MOBAs on decent settings.

Input is appreciated! Different configurations including things like the TBA Core M phablets would be cool too. Maybe you guys can provide different specs for budget tiers. I can probably manage up to USD1500 by next year, but it would be pushing the limit.