Resolution Issues with Displayport out to HDMI in on LG 25um56 Ultrawide

Today, I received two displayport to hdmi cables that I had purchased recently. I have an LG 25UM56 Ultrawide monitor that came with its own hdmi cable that I have been using til now. When I plugged in the dp to hdmi cable (the monitor only supports hdmi in), I am getting a max resolution of 1920x1080, when my monitor is 2560x1080. Going into display settings, windows is showing my recommended resolution as 1920x1080 and will not adjust higher. I am thinking I will just return the cables, but I want to know if it is something that can be fixed or if it is indeed the cables. Here they are for reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816171 . I am still a bit new to all of this so if you guys have any recommendations for me, that would be awesome. 

Today, I received two displayport to hdmi cables that I had purchased recently. I have an LG 25UM56 Ultrawide monitor that came with its own hdmi cable that I have been using til now. When I plugged in the dp to hdmi cable (the monitor only supports hdmi in), I am getting a max resolution of 1920x1080, when my monitor is 2560x1080. Going into display settings, windows is showing my recommended resolution as 1920x1080 and will not adjust higher. I am thinking I will just return the cables, but I want to know if it is something that can be fixed or if it is indeed the cables. Here they are for reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816171 . I am still a bit new to all of this so if you guys have any recommendations for me, that would be awesome. 

im pretty sure HDMI doesnt support ultrawirde until 2.0

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

"Resolution: Up to 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA Display) and 1080p @ 60Hz (Full HD Video)"

Right on the specification page. This cable is clearly not what you need.

What is wrong with your current HDMI cable that came with the monitor? You say you've been using it until now, why change it?

im pretty sure HDMI doesnt support ultrawirde until 2.0

Technically, HDMI 1.4 support 4k, so surely it would support ultrawide resolution... no?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Than the hdmi that came with the monitor must be 2.0 because it supports the monitors ultrawide rez, but this dp to hdmi only supports up to 1080p. I'm wanting to find out if there is a displayport to hdmi that would allow for this resolution. 

"Resolution: Up to 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA Display) and 1080p @ 60Hz (Full HD Video)"

What is wrong with your current HDMI cable that came with the monitor? You say you've been using it until now, why change it?

Technically, HDMI 1.4 support 4k, so surely it would support ultrawide resolution, no?

I guess I missed that one. Even still, I need one that can convert displayport to hdmi at this resolution. I am buying a second monitor and need to connect through the dp out because my 970 only has one hdmi out. 

Technically, HDMI 1.4 support 4k, so surely it would support ultrawide resolution, no?

https://youtu.be/f38sotYHqtA?t=2m36s

Nope

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I guess I missed that one. Even still, I need one that can convert displayport to hdmi at this resolution. I am buying a second monitor and need to connect through the dp out because my 970 only has one hdmi out. 

What about DVI? Can't you use that?

DVI to HDMI is better for this than Display Port to HDMI. It's also cheaper since you won't be needing an active cable as they are both digital (unlike display port, which needs to be converted, hence the active cable)

In any case make sure you get a Display Port 1.2 , HDMI 2.0 or Dual Link DVI-I/DVI-D cable.

I see, the more you know I guess. Thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

What about DVI? Can't you use that?

DVI to HDMI is better for this than Display Port to HDMI. It's also cheaper since you won't be needing an active cable as they are both digital (unlike display port, which needs to be converted, hence the active cable)

In any case make sure you get a Display Port 1.2 , HDMI 2.0 or Dual Link DVI-I (or DVI-D) cable.

I see, the more you know I guess. Thanks.

So if I go dvi, what specs would it need to run both monitors at native resolution? 

If hdmi 1.4 doesn't run 21:9 than the one it came with must be 2.0, right?

I'm not sure about a dp-hdmi cable but....

I'm using a HDMI v1.3 (i think) to connect to a 3440x1440 screen on my old PC @30hz

I can get the full resolution though.

Maybe adjust the settings in you GPU control panel

In nvidia control panel set the scaling to GPU and full screen

Then create a custom resolution

Unsure what to do if you own a AMD gpu

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Or should I just run one through the hdmi I and one through dvi? would that cause any sync issues?

Or should I just run one through the hdmi I and one through dvi? would that cause any sync issues?

There wouldn't be any sort of sync issue. (I use both HDMI and DVI for my 2 monitors)

If you use a DVI to HDMI cable, make sure the the HDMI end of it is 2.0 at the very least and that the DVI is Dual Link.

If you just use a plain DVI cable, make sure it's Dual Link on both ends. The DVI-I or DVI-D doesn't matter in this case.

Doing a quick search and i don't seem to see any with those specs together so far. Anyone know of any off-hand?

There wouldn't be any sort of sync issue. (I use both HDMI and DVI for my 2 monitors)

If you use a DVI to HDMI cable, make sure the the HDMI end of it is 2.0 at the very least and that the DVI is Dual Link.

If you just use a plain DVI cable, make sure it's Dual Link on both ends. The DVI-I or DVI-D doesn't matter in this case.

Doing a quick search and i don't seem to see any with those specs together so far. Anyone know of any off-hand?

And that is unfortunately the big problem when shopping for a cable... Most manufacturers and retailed don't bother telling us which revision of the cable it is.

I tried looking it up, found a few potential, but none that clearly said what it really was. If the monitor had a display port connector, this would be a hell of a lot easier. You could just get a DP cable and that would be it.

And that is unfortunately the big problem when shopping for a cable... Most manufacturers and retailed don't bother telling us which revision of the cable it is.

I tried looking it up, found a few potential, but none that clearly said what it really was. If the monitor had a display port connector, this would be a hell of a lot easier. You could just get a DP cable and that would be it.

If only I hadn't cheaped out on the least expensive version of the ultrawide, which only has 2 hdmi in. 

If only I hadn't cheaped out on the least expensive version of the ultrawide, which only has 2 hdmi in. 

If you want more help on which cable you would need, you could post about it in the General sub forum.

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/6-general-discussion/

Or in the Display sub forum.

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/42-displays/

Ask if someone knows a good cable capable of 29:9 2560 x 1080 resolution, to a HDMI only monitor, when the GPU itself only has 1 HDMI connector that is already being used. (Include things like the exact GPU model and the Monitor model.)

If you want more help on which cable you would need, you could post about it in the General sub forum.

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/6-general-discussion/

Or in the Display sub forum.

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/42-displays/

Ask if someone knows a good cable capable of 29:9 2560 x 1080 resolution, to a HDMI only monitor, when the GPU itself only has 1 HDMI connector that is already being used. (Include things like the exact GPU model and the Monitor model.)

I appreciate your help on this, Tetra. I think I have found an active adapter cable that should work. This one is supposed to allow for up to 4k hdmi, so my 2k monitor should have no problem reaching it's full resolution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812996119

If it doesn't work, I will definitely post about it in general and display sub forum. 

I appreciate your help on this, Tetra. I think I have found an active adapter cable that should work. This one is supposed to allow for up to 4k hdmi, so my 2k monitor should have no problem reaching it's full resolution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812996119

If it doesn't work, I will definitely post about it in general and display sub forum. 

Got it to work with the above adapter. Seamless and easy. Glad I found a solution. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.