The Corsair CS-series

PlayStation 2

If you've heard of this thread then you know what this is gonna be about.

This is technically a follow-up to that thread focusing on the CS series.

Here's a list of the Corsair CS series power supplies:

• CS450M (probably the safest of the five)
  • CS550M
  • CS650M
  • CS750M
  • CS850M

All power supplies in the CS series are modular and made by OEM Great Wall, who, besides a Firepower power supply, doesn't really make any other PSUs.

Here's a short explanation as to why you shouldn't get these: while their build quality is much better than the current CX-series, it's still of pretty questionable quality. Also, they borderline pass the 80+ Gold specifications.

These power supplies are advertised a lot like how the CX-series power supplies are.

CS Series is designed for basic and midrange PCs, but offers features and performance traditionally reserved for higher-end models. 80 PLUS Gold efficiency and a thermally controlled fan ensure quiet operation and lower energy use, and the modular, detachable cable set makes installations and upgrades faster and better looking.

Your limit on what you should put these in would be in a build, around $500-600. 

You shouldn't pair these with high-end systems, so TL;DR buy a Seasonic or XFX or EVGA or any other good PSU.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

iirc the cs are practically the same as the cx

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

CS is quite a bit better then CX, in terms of thermal limits..

But in general, if ambient temp inside case (if PSU is sucking air from case, rather then from the floor) exceeds 40C, then you're in trouble...

Anandtech had a good review on the CS450M, which they tested, extensively, even in high temps. you can read it here.

http://anandtech.com/show/9343/the-corsair-cs450m-psu-review

Personally, i would NOT load up a CS or CX PSU above 75% of its capacity. 25% "headroom" from MAX capacity should ensue that you DO NOT burn it out or stress it too much...

Then again, that leaves you with 25% of a PSU that isnt going to do you any good.... Atleast the CX/CS series is cheap, so you aint losing too much money on those 25%....

CS is quite a bit better then CX, in terms of thermal limits..

But in general, if ambient temp inside case (if PSU is sucking air from case, rather then from the floor) exceeds 40C, then you're in trouble...

Anandtech had a good review on the CS450M, which they tested, extensively, even in high temps. you can read it here.

http://anandtech.com/show/9343/the-corsair-cs450m-psu-review

Personally, i would NOT load up a CS or CX PSU above 75% of its capacity. 25% "headroom" from MAX capacity should ensue that you DO NOT burn it out or stress it too much...

Then again, that leaves you with 25% of a PSU that isnt going to do you any good.... Atleast the CX/CS series is cheap, so you aint losing too much money on those 25%....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139058&cm_re=corsair_cs-_-17-139-058-_-Product

Yeah, I don't really know about that :P

i will advice caution when reading reviews on sites that sell products.... it is not uncommon that there are false or malicious reviews.

Amazon was not too long ago discovered to be "victim" of such behavior.... I bet newegg could just aswell be too.

Also, consumers who report bad things... well.... i work with electricity daily, and trust me, things that should never have happened happens because of user error... So it would not shock me (pun intended) if a lot of these reviews were due to either user error (improperly seated connectors etc...) and such....

Then again, the majority of those reviews are 4 or 5 eggs.... with a minority being people with issues.

Why did they have these issues? Did they even TRY to troubbleshoot?

we do not know.... We will likely never know, and while there is a risk of Anandtech and other reviewers being paid to say nice things, there is a greater chance of pissed off customers not reading the instruction manual and doing shit wrong, then raging on the internet about it later....

But yeah.... take everything with a grain of salt..

My girlfriends, and my best friends PC has a CX600M... works great, then again, its only powering a APU + HD 7950.... But since the CX was on sale, (79% off at the time) it was too good an offer to pass up....

i will advice caution when reading reviews on sites that sell products.... it is not uncommon that there are false or malicious reviews.

Amazon was not too long ago discovered to be "victim" of such behavior.... I bet newegg could just aswell be too.

Also, consumers who report bad things... well.... i work with electricity daily, and trust me, things that should never have happened happens because of user error... So it would not shock me (pun intended) if a lot of these reviews were due to either user error (improperly seated connectors etc...) and such....

Then again, the majority of those reviews are 4 or 5 eggs.... with a minority being people with issues.

Why did they have these issues? Did they even TRY to troubbleshoot?

we do not know.... We will likely never know, and while there is a risk of Anandtech and other reviewers being paid to say nice things, there is a greater chance of pissed off customers not reading the instruction manual and doing shit wrong, then raging on the internet about it later....

But yeah.... take everything with a grain of salt..

My girlfriends, and my best friends PC has a CX600M... works great, then again, its only powering a APU + HD 7950.... But since the CX was on sale, (79% off at the time) it was too good an offer to pass up....

I kinda meant in more of the price (hence why I bolded that last part)

Kinda impressed on what that CX600M is powering :D

Here's a short explanation as to why you shouldn't get these: while their build quality is much better than the current CX-series, it's still of pretty questionable quality. Also they borderline pass the 80+ Gold specifications, meaning that you'd probably be better off buying an 80+ Silver PSU from Seasonic or XFX or Antec.

Yo I would edit the word about getting an "80 PLUS Silver" as they don't make 80 Plus silver units anymore. Just thought I'd point it out.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

why did they discontinue it

For science

I still don't know. All we know is that Silver is nonexistent as a new PSU release efficiency.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||