Windows 7 (10) or Linux?

AxSirlotl

I want to save money on my PC build as it's about £700 so far (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nXdWqs). I'd like to know how easy/difficult it is for someone who's (practically) always used windows, to convert to linux as it would save me about £70 pounds which is a lot!

Thanks, Will

Well you need to learn some (not all) terminal commands, but you don't have to be terminal master to use Linux.

You just need to get used to it, just like when you first started using Windows.

I'd recommend Ubuntu (or other flavors like Kubuntu), it's nice for starter.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

If you are wanting to use this as a gaming machine then you really need to have Windows unless you want to play no AAA games, it should also be noted that there are cheaper ways of getting Windows like from G2A.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

It's not that it's hard but rather you won't have much to do. You can pretty much forget about gaming. If you spend all of your time online then just install Ubuntu and you're done. In fact installing Ubuntu is probably simpler than installing Windows.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

It's not very hard at all if you use something like ubuntu. You can also play a lot of games either natively or through wine, but in the second case the experience may be (even significantly) worse than on windows.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just get Windows 10 

It's not very hard at all if you use something like ubuntu. You can also play a lot of games either natively or through wine, but in the second case the experience may be (even significantly) worse than on windows.

From the look of his profile and posts I don't know if that is possible, I not saying he is dumb or anything I think he just lacks the prior experience. 

You can get win license from g2a or reddit for cheaper. 15 quid

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

From the look of his profile and posts I don't know if that is possible, I not saying he is dumb or anything I think he just lacks the prior experience. 

everyone has to start somewhere. I didn't hyave any prior experience when I tried ubuntu the first time either.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

everyone has to start somewhere. I didn't hyave any prior experience when I tried ubuntu the first time either.

I meant experience with computing in general. 

I want to save money on my PC build as it's about £700 so far (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nXdWqs). I'd like to know how easy/difficult it is for someone who's (practically) always used windows, to convert to linux as it would save me about £70 pounds which is a lot!

Thanks, Will

If its for gaming, then Windows. Linux for programming and others.

If you want to be able to actually use it and play games. Then get Windows 10.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I meant experience with computing in general. 

when I tried ubuntu the first time I had been into computers for less than a year. it's just not very hard at all - it will install itself, it has a gui-based package manager (although it's a bit clunky... but it works), and comes with different uis to suit everyone. Doesn't require much maintenance either.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If its for gaming, then Windows. Linux for programming and others.

Nah, Linux can be used for normal stuff. It depends on the distro too.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Auto KMS= windows is free

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

when I tried ubuntu the first time I had been into computers for less than a year. it's just not very hard at all - it will install itself, it has a gui-based package manager (although it's a bit clunky... but it works), and comes with different uis to suit everyone. Doesn't require much maintenance either.

I personally like OpenSuse or Arch. I have dabbled in Zorin and Ubuntu with Gnome though. (I never really used the package store Gui thing, I dropped to a terminal and aptget from there. 

Windows 10. Dual boot into Linux if you like but using it day-to-day can be quite frustrating unless you're needs are very specific.

I personally like OpenSuse or Arch. I have dabbled in Zorin and Ubuntu with Gnome though. (I never really used the package store Gui thing, I dropped to a terminal and aptget from there. 

I like arch too, but that's a bit too much for a beginner :P

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

OpenSUSE is awesome, but Arch isn't friendly for beginner in my opinion.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia