Mixing old RAM with new RAM?

I recently built my first build. So far so good. Now, I just wanted to know if it would be a problem if i decided to mix new ram with old ram? currently i have 8 gigs of ddr3 ram and i was planning on getting another 4 gig stick in order to have a total of 12 gigs of memory. Just wanted to know if this would be okay? (obviously im going to purchase the same exact ram, just wanted to know if it was okay to mix the ones i already bought with the new one im planning on getting?

yes it will be ok, but id advise you to get another 8gb so that you can do dual channel.

8 gig will do for now and adding another 8 will be a better option.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

yes it will be ok, but id advise you to get another 8gb so that you can do dual channel.

8 gig will do for now and adding another 8 will be a better option.

Yeah, i was initially planning on doing that. The only problem is that since my mobo is kind of small (and so is my case) im not sure if another 8 gigs would fit since my hyper evo is kind overlapping one of my ram slots. (i have the asus z-97a mobo btw)

I recently built my first build. So far so good. Now, I just wanted to know if it would be a problem if i decided to mix new ram with old ram? currently i have 8 gigs of ddr3 ram and i was planning on getting another 4 gig stick in order to have a total of 12 gigs of memory. Just wanted to know if this would be okay? (obviously im going to purchase the same exact ram, just wanted to know if it was okay to mix the ones i already bought with the new one im planning on getting?

So here is the deal...  It, in theory, should work.  But lets be honest, do you want to leave it to "in theory it should work"?

Just go ahead and get the same RAM across the board, that is on the QVL list for your motherboard and eliminate the guesswork and save yourself headache down the road.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

So here is the deal...  It, in theory, should work.  But lets be honest, do you want to leave it to "in theory it should work"?

Just go ahead and get the same RAM across the board, that is on the QVL list for your motherboard and eliminate the guesswork and save yourself headache down the road.

? did you read my whole post. Cause either you are misunderstanding something or I'm misunderstanding something. I already said that I'm getting the same RAM, i just wanted to know if it was okay to mix old ram with new ram? 

? did you read my whole post. Cause either you are misunderstanding something or I'm misunderstanding something. I already said that I'm getting the same RAM, i just wanted to know if it was okay to mix old ram with new ram? 

Then why would it matter?  Is one stick of RAM malfunctioning?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE