PSU for 2 way sli with MSI GTX 960?

Go to solution Solved by Lethal Seraph,

The PSU will work but in a performance per dollar ratio, the 960 isn't good, even worst if you SLI them. You're better off upgrading to a new tier of GPU even just for a single card, AMD 380 or 970.

Hey, I recently built my first PC, and I want to push more frames on my Monitor (overclocked to 74hz), and on Battlefield 4 my single 960 is playing it at 40 frames. I would like to get another one, as selling it and getting a 970 or 980 is too much of a hassle. So, I would like to get another one, but I'm not sure which PSU to use. I have the 960 (duh), and an AMD FX 8320e, and a 750 watt PSU. Will this PSU be enough to support another 960, or do I need to get a more powerful one? Thanks in advance.

May not contain 100% brain.

Dunno why you would SLI those cards,

You need to give us your exact powersupply. Because a 750W Seasonic/Corsair AX/EVGA/Antec != a 750W Chinese one.

im fairly certain you could power SLI 960's with a 650w supply just fine, 960's aren't that power hungry.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

@TiestotheYanez I think an 850W power supply may be safer but I think 750W should be fine.

It's literally two 960s my PSU 620W could easily run two 960s with a AMD CPU

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

@TiestotheYanez I think an 850W power supply may be safer but I think 750W should be fine.

Stop trolling you could get away with a 600 watt psu for sli 960's.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Just get a 600W PSU

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

600w if you wanna be safe. BTW That CPU will bottleneck.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

PSU calculations Edit: RAM only adds 5W

post-220800-0-69177200-1441384046_thumb.

Setup

I would maybe sell the GPU and CPU ( or just the CPU ) and upgrade to a i5 and R9 390,

SLI 2gb cards with a 8320 is going to be hell in the future and even today

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno why you would SLI those cards,

You need to give us your exact powersupply. Because a 750W Seasonic/Corsair AX/EVGA/Antec != a 750W Chinese one.

I have a Corsair 750 Watt Bronze rates PSU, does that make a difference?

Probably CX...

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

a 550w will be more than enough. go with a 600w if you're worried about overheads.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

• 4 weeks later...

I would maybe sell the GPU and CPU ( or just the CPU ) and upgrade to a i5 and R9 390,

SLI 2gb cards with a 8320 is going to be hell in the future and even today

I was actually planning to get the r9 390. Do you think I could keep my CPU and get decent performance with an R9 390 on battlefield 4 with ultra settings(with "decent" I mean like 80-90 frames during a large conquest battle)? Before I got terrible frames. And by the way, it was a 4 gig edition card.

I was actually planning to get the r9 390. Do you think I could keep my CPU and get decent performance with an R9 390 on battlefield 4 with ultra settings(with "decent" I mean like 80-90 frames during a large conquest battle)? Before I got terrible frames. And by the way, it was a 4 gig edition card.

your cpu is basically crap

theres no real point in sli'ing on that rig

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I'm not going to SLI, just get a new GPU in general. Do you think I could still get good performance?

I'm not going to SLI, just get a new GPU in general. Do you think I could still get good performance?

Sorry with the replies, newb here. If the new GPU could work, do you think I could purchase an air or water cooler and overclock it?

Sorry with the replies, newb here. If the new GPU could work, do you think I could purchase an air or water cooler and overclock it?

you can do which ever you want...but with your cpu...sli'ing will bottleneck..and getting a gpu above a 970/380(maybe 390) will bottleneck

you can do which ever you want...but with your cpu...sli'ing will bottleneck..and getting a gpu above a 970/380(maybe 390) will bottleneck

That's not good news to me. I should have researched more when building my PC. How bad would the bottleneck be, and do you think an 8350 would do the trick, if not an overclock to about 4ghz?

That's not good news to me. I should have researched more when building my PC. How bad would the bottleneck be, and do you think an 8350 would do the trick, if not an overclock to about 4ghz?

overclocking might help a bit...personally Im not a fan of ocing...especially alot....but if you can maximize the oc...you might be able to bring that gpu up a bit more...maybe a 980/290x

The PSU will work but in a performance per dollar ratio, the 960 isn't good, even worst if you SLI them. You're better off upgrading to a new tier of GPU even just for a single card, AMD 380 or 970.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

overclocking might help a bit...personally Im not a fan of ocing...especially alot....but if you can maximize the oc...you might be able to bring that gpu up a bit more...maybe a 980/290x

Thank you very much. That is the cheaper option for me, since I don't have a job. I only need to spend about $50 more. Thanks for your help :)