Can an HX1000i Handle 2x980ti and a 6700k?

I'm just about ready to order parts for my new skylake build, which will feature dual 980ti's and an i7-6700k. However, a few of my friends tell me that some 980ti's will reach around 450 watts in power consumption. If this is the case, will I need an even bigger powersupply than the hx1000i. If someone could please give some insight as to whether or not this powersupply will hold up, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm just about ready to order parts for my new skylake build, which will feature dual 980ti's and an i7-6700k. However, a few of my friends tell me that some 980ti's will reach around 450 watts in power consumption. If this is the case, will I need an even bigger powersupply than the hx1000i. If someone could please give some insight as to whether or not this powersupply will hold up, I would greatly appreciate it.

You should be fine.

I remember Tek Syndicate Wendell finding that 860w was only just enough for his overclocked 980Tis and a beast CPU but you should be fine because higher wattage and lesser load.

Sig under construction.

However, a few of my friends tell me that some 980ti's will reach around 450 watts in power consumption.

Keep in mind this is power consumption for their entire test rig, not just the video card:

74804.png

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/16

I'd expect actual draw to be around 700 Watts or so with two GTX 980 Ti's and a 6700K, so I think you'd be fine with a 1000 W unit.

Yes the 980ti's don't need alot of power. so even if you overclock everything you will be fine.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

this is without storage etc but 1000 is way more than enough

402dac816314e773d7f191ee832f99e4.png

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

with ram and an ssd, get an 850watt psu and save some money

1c6043ac903c6256ab823f40d9e5f269.png

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

No you do not need more power. Should be perfectly enough.

I'd expect actual draw to be around 700 Watts or so with two GTX 980 Ti's and a 6700K, so I think you'd be fine with a 1000 W unit.

So could I save some money and go for an 850watt psu and still have room for overclocking?

So could I save some money and go for an 850watt psu and still have room for overclocking?

Maybe, but something to bear in mind is that most PSUs tend to run at their most efficient when they're at about 60–75% of their capacity. Even some very good PSUs can get rather hot and noisy when run for extended periods at 100%. So you don't really want the bare minimum when you have the option not to. 1000 Watts is a good amount for this system, in my opinion.

You're good.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||