Choppy 4K Playback in VLC

kushari

Hi everyone, 

Having an issue here where I'm trying to playback 4K video from my GoPro in VLC and it's super choppy, more actually freezes and that's it. It's not a CPU issue as the CPU isn't pegged at 100. I tried it in the Movied and TV player in Windows 10 and it works perfectly. Any idea? I have GPU decoding enabled and I'm running a 980TI so I don't think it's related to that.

Below is the Media Info for the file from the GoPro

ormat                                   : MPEG-4Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 1Codec ID                                 : mp41File size                                : 3.09 GiBDuration                                 : 7mn 21sOverall bit rate mode                    : VariableOverall bit rate                         : 60.1 MbpsEncoded date                             : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49Tagged date                              : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49AMBA                                     : x VideoID                                       : 1Format                                   : AVCFormat/Info                              : Advanced Video CodecFormat profile                           : [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/*  */</script>Format settings, CABAC                   : YesFormat settings, ReFrames                : 1 frameFormat settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=15Codec ID                                 : avc1Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video CodingDuration                                 : 7mn 21sBit rate mode                            : VariableBit rate                                 : 60.0 MbpsWidth                                    : 3 840 pixelsHeight                                   : 2 160 pixelsDisplay aspect ratio                     : 16:9Frame rate mode                          : ConstantFrame rate                               : 29.970 fpsColor space                              : YUVChroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0Bit depth                                : 8 bitsScan type                                : ProgressiveBits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.241Stream size                              : 3.08 GiB (100%)Title                                    : GoPro AVCLanguage                                 : EnglishEncoded date                             : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49Tagged date                              : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49Color range                              : FullColor primaries                          : BT.709Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709 AudioID                                       : 2Format                                   : AACFormat/Info                              : Advanced Audio CodecFormat profile                           : LCCodec ID                                 : 40Duration                                 : 7mn 21sBit rate mode                            : ConstantBit rate                                 : 128 KbpsChannel(s)                               : 2 channelsChannel positions                        : Front: L RSampling rate                            : 48.0 KHzCompression mode                         : LossyStream size                              : 6.73 MiB (0%)Title                                    : GoPro AACLanguage                                 : EnglishEncoded date                             : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49Tagged date                              : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49 Other #1ID                                       : 3Type                                     : Time codeFormat                                   : QuickTime TCDuration                                 : 7mn 21sTitle                                    : GoPro TCDLanguage                                 : EnglishEncoded date                             : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49Tagged date                              : UTC 2015-07-02 18:24:49 Other #2Type                                     : Time codeTime code of first frame                 : 18:23:52:12Time code, striped                       : YesBit rate mode                            : VBR

I'm not into 4K so I barely know anything about it but do you have the correct codecs?

Codec shouldn't be an issue. It would not work at all if he didn't have it.

OP do you have the latest version of VLC? Have you tried disabling hardware decoding to see if that helps?

See if it works in MPC-HC, it seems to work a little better than VLC.. at least for me. 

I'm not into 4K so I barely know anything about it but do you have the correct codecs?

Yeah, because it plays, just more like jpgs haha.

4K support on VLC isn't good right now so just use whatever's the default on Windows 10

I think you're right, surprised me though. 

Codec shouldn't be an issue. It would not work at all if he didn't have it.

OP do you have the latest version of VLC? Have you tried disabling hardware decoding to see if that helps?

Yeah latest version. I could try to disable hardware, but I guess I'll just use the Windows player for now. It seriously works flawlessly. Surprised me really.

See if it works in MPC-HC, it seems to work a little better than VLC.. at least for me. 

I think I'll stick with the Windows player until VLC works better.

Going on a limb, I remember having choppy Youtube with higher resolutions after getting Windows 10. Problem ended up Chrome being assigned to the integrated graphics.

So, you set VLC to your CPU instead of your GPU.

Going on a limb, I remember having choppy Youtube with higher resolutions after getting Windows 10. Problem ended up Chrome being assigned to the integrated graphics.

So, you set VLC to your CPU instead of your GPU.

Nope, that wasn't it. It's weird, now it worked. Not sure, maybe it was that my NAS was doing a scrub of the data and couldn't supply the bandwidth required? Because it's working now. Not sure what it was. Will see if it was maybe specific videos.

Nope, that wasn't it. It's weird, now it worked. Not sure, maybe it was that my NAS was doing a scrub of the data and couldn't supply the bandwidth required? Because it's working now. Not sure what it was. Will see if it was maybe specific videos.

you should have k-lite codec pack/mpc-hc as well as vlc

vlc does some things good..and mpc-hc does some things better

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Headsup: Media Player Home Cinema is actually better than VLC in a few ways (mostly plugin ability and dark-levels)