Rip off OEM Windows 7 Pro key from dead Sony VAIO

Go to solution Solved by mstef,

The thing is I know the key, It's right beneath the laptop.

Just do something very simple- call MS support and ask them...

OEM keys are tied to a MoBo, but in some cases is possible to use your old OEM key on new MoBo... But activation goes through calling MS support- just call them in advance, not after installation...

^^^ Topic.

Can I do that and use that key to install it on a new PC?

The laptop is dead.

Help me here.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

^^^ Topic.

Can I do that and use that key to install it on a new PC?

The laptop is dead.

Help me here.

afaik yes

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

afaik yes

If you can provide me the steps, please do that.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

BUMP

If you can provide me the steps, please do that.

this should work

edit: by dead, did you mean it doesn't run anymore? if so You can't. Even if you get the drives windows is installed on the key would be inside the BIOS not the harddrive afaik

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

this should work

edit: by dead, did you mean it doesn't run anymore? if so You can't. Even if you get the drives windows is installed on the key would be inside the BIOS not the harddrive afaik

Sorry, the laptop is installed with a Ubuntu. It works fine somehow.

But the guy in the video says, It doesn't work with OEM keys.

Sorry, the laptop is installed with a Ubuntu. It works fine somehow.

But the guy in the video says, It doesn't work with OEM keys.

well there you go, Try it.

No.

If it's an OEM key, which it will be as it's a laptop, it can only ever be used on that laptop.

It's weird to say but there isn't a 100% sure answer, some people cannot use it some can, for example I was able to use a key of a broken laptop on my macbook without any issue at all.

It's weird to say but there isn't a 100% sure answer, some people cannot use it some can, for example I was able to use a key of a broken laptop on my macbook without any issue at all.

Did you perform any commands like Uninstalling the product key from your laptop?

Did you perform any commands like Uninstalling the product key from your laptop?

Nope nothing.

OEM keys are tied to a MoBo, but in some cases is possible to use your old OEM key on new MoBo... But activation goes through calling MS support- just call them in advance, not after installation...

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

It works!

Thankew!

Theoretically it's very simple.  Install the OS on the new machine using the key from the laptop, let it try (and fail) to activate, call the phone activation number and do the whole number entering thing, and voila.

However doing so is in conflict with the EULA, so it's considered piracy and hence against the CoC here too.  So now I must look disapproving and say you shouldn't do that.

this_is_a_disapproving_look__by_tempi77s

Don't do that.

...However doing so is in conflict with the EULA, so it's considered piracy ....

Reusing OEM key is piracy? Really? Says who? And who's the idiot that will activate through phone when is pirating software? 

Let say it simple: 

I, personally, already 3 times transfer 1 OEM key and there was NO problem. Just calling MS support, explain them that my Mobo is dead and want to use my key on a new rig- don't know what they do (and don't care), but at the end I get activated Win 7. And same rig was upgraded to Win 10 without a problem. And returned to 7- no problem...   Believe me, if there was a conflict with EULA supports answer will be "We can't do anything- go and buy another key"... 

I CAN'T guarantee that this will work with all OEM keys, but definitely works in some cases- just call MS support (preferably- before installation) and ask, they won't bite you... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Reusing OEM key is piracy? Really? Says who? 

Says Microsoft.  The EULA for the OEM versions of Windows specifically states that the license is only valid on that one set of hardware.

Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one copy only on the computer with which you acquired the software (the licensed computer), for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement

If you use it on another computer, you are violating the EULA, which automatically means that your install is legally considered a pirated one.

Swapping a motherboard is one thing, but transferring the key from a laptop to a desktop ... good luck explaining how that is a motherboard swap due to a faulty item.