GPU Boost Investigated Part 1

1st on vessel

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

and the forum

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

INB4 all of the half brained youtube comments where people spew out shit using their keyboards before they can finish a complete semi-intelligent thought 

5j2HO7O.gif

'OMG LTT IS SO AM NVIDIA BIAS DID THEY ANOTHER NVIDEO WITHOUT AMD LINUS IS A CERPERATE SHEEL YOU CAN TELL BY THE NVIDIA'

Or something 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I will like a video only if i actually enjoyed it... (I enjoy almost all LMG vids, so that is no problem)

Asking me to press like if i want to see some other random video is illogical, I really don't understand how this could ever prove quantitative. Soon I'll probably be annoyed enough to start pressing dislike every time i hear that. :( 

edit: Yes i realize that in some cases this method can be used to gauge user interest in a particular subject, but i think it is way overused. It sounds kinda trashy to hear the stalwart champions of the master race begging for video likes after the fashion of the peasantry.

display driver intel hd graphics drivers for windows 8® stopped responding and successfully recovered

Those youtube comments are painful to read. I was going to reply to one, but then decided to come to the forum and didn't find any of the special brand of stupid that lives in the youtube comment section.

6 Titans X's can I please haz one

1687995.jpg

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Well Luke, my MSI gaming 970 with its frozr cooler went from its advertised speed of 1140MHz core clock with a 1279MHz boost clock, to consistently boosting to 1342-1348 in games like BF4 etc. That's with the default fan curve. Once I added a full cover water block that went up even further to 1386 without touch anything. 

My mate has 2 of them and on their own one gets 1345 while other only boosts to 1281. So there is some variance in silicon lottery.

Interesting, but entirely predictable (aside from the specific numbers, obviously).

Bet it was a mind numb'er to do though. Yay for getting a newbie to do that shit \o/ (poor new guy)

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

How do you have 6 graphics cards in one PC. Isn't that not possible?

They were tested separately (otherwise the some cards would be suffocated more than others), but yes, it is now possible to run them all together under DX12 as each cards is addressed individually, however to run 6 GPU with >= x8 PCI-e lanes a dual CPU system would be required, given current technology.

I have run 6 GPUs from one single CPU board, but that was for mining where all but one card was able to perform with a single PCI-E lane (one card is required to have >1 (possibly >4) lanes for the system to recognise it as a GPU and output a signal through it (wouldn't have been a problem if the board had an onboard GPU).

N.B. I could be incorrect about >4 GPUs under DX12, I've not seen it actually be tested, however I believe it is possible, so don't take my word as gospel.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm

They were tested separately (otherwise the some cards would be suffocated more than others), but yes, it is now possible to run them all together under DX12 as each cards is addressed individually, however to run 6 GPU with >= x8 PCI-e lanes a dual CPU system would be required, given current technology.

I have run 6 GPUs from one single CPU board, but that was for mining where all but one card was able to perform with a single PCI-E lane (one card is required to have >1 (possibly >4) lanes for the system to recognise it as a GPU and output a signal through it (wouldn't have been a problem if the board had an onboard GPU).

N.B. I could be incorrect about >4 GPUs under DX12, I've not seen it actually be tested, however I believe it is possible, so don't take my word as gospel.

Thanks for the help man.

I will like a video only if i actually enjoyed it... (I enjoy almost all LMG vids, so that is no problem)

Asking me to press like if i want to see some other random video is illogical, I really don't understand how this could ever prove quantitative. Soon I'll probably be annoyed enough to start pressing dislike every time i hear that. :( 

edit: Yes i realize that in some cases this method can be used to gauge user interest in a particular subject, but i think it is way overused. It sounds kinda trashy to hear the stalwart champions of the master race begging for video likes after the fashion of the peasantry.

It confuses me too, especially given their love of strawpolls and posting links in the description.

Alas, they're running/working for a 'so far' successful business mostly based around YT, I sit on my arse and watch YT videos. They're clearly better than me at something (other than sitting or watching :))

So you're completely fine with the fact nvidia gave them 6 Titan X's to use in their workstations (Ie. not to review, literarily, here is $6000 USD worth of cards, use them in your workstations)??

Could we have a frank, no fanboy-flaming, discussion about how LTT got nVidia to send them 6 Titan X's (so $6000 USD) to upgrade their stations? He says that in the video. It's nice that he said that but, to me, that means that they have been basically bought by nVidia. I can't trust them to be objective in their reviews anymore. Combined with the downplaying of the nVidia blunders on the WAN show (limiting overclocking on the mobile cards, only having 3.5gb fast ram, no ACE support, etc.) I'm really starting to question the validity of their views.

INB4 all of the half brained youtube comments where people spew out shit using their keyboards before they can finish a complete semi-intelligent thought 

'OMG LTT IS SO AM NVIDIA BIAS DID THEY ANOTHER NVIDEO WITHOUT AMD LINUS IS A CERPERATE SHEEL YOU CAN TELL BY THE NVIDIA'

Or something 

So you're completely fine with the fact nvidia gave them 6 Titan X's to use in their workstations (Ie. not to review, literarily, here is $6000 USD worth of cards, use them in your workstations)??

Could we have a frank, no fanboy-flaming, discussion about how LTT got nVidia to send them 6 Titan X's (so $6000 USD) to upgrade their stations? He says that in the video. It's nice that he said that but, to me, that means that they have been basically bought by nVidia. I can't trust them to be objective in their reviews anymore. Combined with the downplaying of the nVidia blunders on the WAN show (limiting overclocking on the mobile cards, only having 3.5gb fast ram, no ACE support, etc.) I'm really starting to question the validity of their views.

Nvidia isn't necessarily buying them. Nvidia is buying us...

Millions of people watch Linus Media Group move and set up shop, and we all watch them build their amazing PCs. Some people (myself included) will buy a brand simply because they support their favorite Youtube Channel or eSport Team. Others who know less about how review units and sponsored builds work will simply say 'Hey Linus uses Nvidia, so i want Nvidia'. Nvidia is smart to give them so many graphics cards. AMD would probably attempt this too if they were able (not likely due to the shortages that plagued Fury X at launch). 

P.S. many of the stock cards are in fact from AIB manufacturers...

It confuses me too, especially given their love of strawpolls and posting links in the description.

Alas, they're running/working for a 'so far' successful business mostly based around YT, I sit on my arse and watch YT videos. They're clearly better than me at something (other than sitting or watching :))

Strawpoll makes so much sense to me too. Even if i had to waste five minutes to give feedback i would (as would many others). Strawpoll seems to be a win-win.

I find myself in quite the quandary, he says 'hit the like button to let me know...' at this point I'm feeling strong aversion and immediately press the dislike button. The problem is that 5 minutes later he say to me 'Like this video if you liked it...' 

My OCD is conking me in the head

YT send out remotely activated prostate massagers that vibrate when a channel receives 'likes', hence, they'll say and do whatever they can to get them.

Or perhaps Nick's too busy playing with his little (according to Justin, not me) ball to put the extra effort in :)

YT send out remotely activated prostate massagers that vibrate when a channel receives 'likes', hence, they'll say and do whatever they can to get them.

Or perhaps Nick's too busy playing with his little (according to Justin, not me) ball to put the extra effort in :)

:huh:  ...   :mellow:  ...   :lol:

So basically, current graphics cards' performance is affected by the temperature of the case they're in even if you do not overclock at all.

Would you consider it as a reason to switch to a more "realistic" close-case test-benches instead of the open bench that seems to be the "standard"? It makes our (consumers) life real hard if we have to account for the fact, that we need to imagine the comparison in our environment based on somewhat unrelated and probably completely skewed scenario in the reviews.

If you can get say $4000 worth of 960s that would get you a much larger sample size.