PSU help

Muz

Ay, I just installed my new thermaltake smartpower 750w, and after about 5 minutes of being turned on and running fine, it will just shut off and two seconds later turn back on? It keeps doing this over and over, I have everything plugged in correctly.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

My gpu is coming next Monday, I've got a 6780 in it at the moment. 750w is overkill for that

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

My gpu is coming next Monday, I've got a 6780 in it at the moment. 750w is overkill for that

Yep, you're right. 

I did some research into your PSU and it looks like there are a noticeable amount of duds in the bunch. Since you already checked the wiring in your computer, I'd suggest calling the company and telling them your problem. Luckily those things come with pretty long warranties so you'll be able to get a replacement. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Yep, you're right.

I did some research into your PSU and it looks like there are a noticeable amount of duds in the bunch. Since you already checked the wiring in your computer, I'd suggest calling the company and telling them your problem. Luckily those things come with pretty long warranties so you'll be able to get a replacement.

Shiiet, well thanks. Is it possible that the wire to the on connecter to the mobo could be in the wrong position and cause something like this? I did notice turning it on with the power switch worked but not turning it off with the switch?

Shiiet, well thanks. Is it possible that the wire to the on connecter to the mobo could be in the wrong position and cause something like this? I did notice turning it on with the power switch worked but not turning it off with the switch?

There's a chance that's the problem. I'd suggest looking at your wiring again then attempting to run your PC. If that doesn't work, then it's best to just call the company and get a replacement. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

There's a chance that's the problem. I'd suggest looking at your wiring again then attempting to run your PC. If that doesn't work, then it's best to just call the company and get a replacement.

If I can't fix it I'll be taking it back and be getting a CX600M.

Sounds like a good bet, although it's not exactly smart fiscally. Just make sure your computer only needs 600W  :P

I had one of those on my old computer and didn't run into any problems. 

Sounds like a good bet, although it's not exactly smart fiscally. Just make sure your computer only needs 600W [emoji14]

Re plugged the on off wires, still restarts every 5 minutes.

Re plugged the on off wires, still restarts every 5 minutes.

Sad to hear  :(  I hate getting defective PC hardware, I know that feel bro. 

Sad to hear :( I hate getting defective PC hardware, I know that feel bro.

Ok um I turned it on again and all the usb ports stopped working after I logged in

Sounds like a good bet, although it's not exactly smart fiscally. Just make sure your computer only needs 600W  :P

Please don't get a CX600M. They have a 30C ambient limit, which basically means they don't do well at all in a warm PC case. They should be used for office and basic builds only, as stated on Corsair's site. 

An EVGA B2 is a much better choice in terms of quality, or anything from Seasonic. 

Ok um I turned it on again and all the usb ports stopped working after I logged in

Alright, I honestly have no idea what the hell happened there.

If you have anyone who know a lot about computer IRL, try asking them to help you out. At this point it's beyond my knowledge.

Please don't get a CX600M. They have a 30C ambient limit, which basically means they don't do well at all in a warm PC case. They should be used for office and basic builds only, as stated on Corsair's site. 

An EVGA B2 is a much better choice in terms of quality, or anything from Seasonic. 

True, but those cost a lot more.

Alright, I honestly have no idea what the hell happened there.

If you have anyone who know a lot about computer IRL, try asking them to help you out. At this point it's beyond my knowledge.

True, but those cost a lot more.

The extra cost is worth it on the PSU. Or pretty much anything decent, other than the CX series. 

For about $10 more, you can get a SeaSonic S12II 620W or a Semi Modular version for another $10

Corsair's CX series are cheap, and you get the build quality of a cheap PSU, which is really not what you want. 

The extra cost is worth it on the PSU. Or pretty much anything decent, other than the CX series. 

For about $10 more, you can get a SeaSonic S12II 620W or a Semi Modular version for another $10

Corsair's CX series are cheap, and you get the build quality of a cheap PSU, which is really not what you want. 

Very true. My personal experience with that PSU has been fine but if it's not exactly known for quality, a higher-end PSU would be appropriate. 

Very true. My personal experience with that PSU has been fine but if it's not exactly known for quality, a higher-end PSU would be appropriate.

Decided to give it another shot and magicly it's been running fine running under load on 3d Valley for the past 20 mins

Decided to give it another shot and magicly it's been running fine running under load on 3d Valley for the past 20 mins

That's extremely weird but good to hear! I hope it doesn't give you any trouble in the future. 

That's extremely weird but good to hear! I hope it doesn't give you any trouble in the future.

Probably the fact I used another power cable that's why it worked lol.

That PSU is very much bad - change it :D

I should know - I use to own one

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

no no no no no no no, no. . . . no!

no CX!

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

That PSU is very much bad - change it :D

I should know - I use to own one

The CX or thermaltake?

The CX or thermaltake?

EVGA, SeaSonic or Super Flower - do NOT settle for anything bellow that for a higher end system.

The CX or thermaltake?

both are bad - Thermalfake is slightly better but still bad

Get  a SeaSonic M12II Evo 720W if you want a good quality modular 700W PSU

Rip it's doing it again fml