Shocked by my case, need help

lubblig
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

You should use a grounded outlet an easy way to test is to use an extension cord to another properly grounded outlet in the house. Without grounding, devices and built up a charge that can shock and potentially injure or kill the user if it has the ability to build up such a high voltage charge or there is an issue with the device and it shorts to the metal PSU casing. It sounds like it's not too much in your case but always use grounded outlets for devices that have a grounding pin.

I've got an old pre-built HP desktop computer that I somewhat use to store files on (It's rarely on so it basically never happens). Anyway, it was standing just beside the radiator in my room (the radiator is grounded) and I turned it on to put a flashdrive in the back of it to install a new OS. But as I did (the computer was on at the time), I was having one hand on the radiator and one on the computer and I got shocked by both the radiator and the case (the power outlet I connect the PSU in isn't grounded).

This has probably happened before but I just thought the radiator was sharp on the edge, I didn't realize it was electricity until now due to the shock from the computer and the radiator isn't "sharp" if I'm not touching the computer.

Anyway, to test it (since it was an old computer with a crappy PSU) I plugged in a new computer with all new components that I've built myself. It has got a 80+ bronze PSU from Corsair so that should be a fairly decent PSU. I put it in the same spot that the HP computer was in, turned it on and tried again. I was shocked now too (as I was touching the new, plugged in, computer and the radiator). So I'm assuming it wasn't due to a bad PSU in the HP computer.

Now, my question is if it's possible for a PSU to carry current throughout the case and if I were to touch something that is grounded (in this case my radiator) would this give me shocks or is there something else wrong here?

Is this how things work (what is happening, is it normal for a PSU not connected to a grounded outlet)?

Does the PSU make the entire case conductive if it's not connected to a grounded outlet?

Is it dangerous for people to get these kinds of shocks? (I've been shocked multiple times now as I've been testing...)

Is it "dangerous"/bad for the components?

Since I'm not that good with electricity (I'm not entirely sure how things work, my dad knows more though so try and be as descriptive as possible and he might understand) I will provide you guys with some info that you may need to evaluate this properly.

I live in Sweden, we have 230volts in our outlets.

The outlet I'm using is not grounded.

The radiator is grounded.

I've tried to plug the computer into a grounded outlet I have in my bathroom and so far I haven't had the same issue.

I'm trying to figure this out and see if grounding the outlets in my room should be "enough" to fix it, because I really want to fix whatever is causing this. Or if there is something else entirely that's causing these issues (I just want to know before I spend money on something "unnecessary"). So if there is any extra info you guys need to understand this, just let me know and I'll try and get it for you. Also, if I've used any wording that may be wrong, then please let me know, I'm not that familiar with how electricity works nor is English my native language.

Thanks!

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

-SNIP-

You should use a grounded outlet an easy way to test is to use an extension cord to another properly grounded outlet in the house. Without grounding, devices and built up a charge that can shock and potentially injure or kill the user if it has the ability to build up such a high voltage charge or there is an issue with the device and it shorts to the metal PSU casing. It sounds like it's not too much in your case but always use grounded outlets for devices that have a grounding pin.

I did try to connect to a grounded outlet (that I have in my bathroom) via an extension cord. So far I haven't had any issues this way.

But what you are saying is basically that without the grounding, electrical appliances can build up a charge that could be lethal? But the grounding makes sure that doesn't happen?

I may be wrong but I always thought the grounding didn't really carry any electricity, just when something is wrong it will send the electricity through the grounding to the fuse box making a fuse "blow up" (I'm not sure what the term is in English) and the electrical throughput stops. Is this all wrong or am I mixing things up?

Anyway, thanks for the answer! I'll probably ground it then. I don't want to have any accidents due to this.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

Grounding mainly protects the user from getting a full jolt of electricity when something goes wrong or it shorts out but a fair number of things can build up a mild electric charge while not lethal makes for an unpleasant shock when touched hence the grounding. Applicances that don't have a ground pin are double insulated usually meaning all parts electrical parts are isolated and the device itself is usually all plastic.

Grounding mainly protects the user from getting a full jolt of electricity when something goes wrong or it shorts out but a fair number of things can build up a mild electric charge while not lethal makes for an unpleasant shock when touched hence the grounding. Applicances that don't have a ground pin are double insulated usually meaning all parts electrical parts are isolated and the device itself is usually all plastic.

Ok, thank you for the help!

I guess I will get an electrician over to fix this for me!

Spoiler

System:

PCPP: