4770k/4690k Overclocking & Motherboard

I plan on buying an i7 4770k or an i5 4690k, I haven't decided yet, but that's not what this thread is about.

I would like to do some overclocking. (never have before, btw) Both of these CPUs have a base of 3.5 GHz, and I would like to bring that up to ~4 GHz. I don't need to deal with the heat & power to have the highest possible speed. Will there be much performance gain at 500 MHz extra or will I have to go higher?

What are motherboard recommendations based on this? I don't need all the features (e.g. Wi-Fi). I just has to work with the 1150 CPUs, and support overclocking. Try to keep the cost around $100 - $110.

I will be reusing 16 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM and a GTX 750ti. (See other thread)

There is a haswell overclocking guide in the guide section. It has literally everything you will ever need to know.

4.0 is a breeze, 4.5-4.9 is much more interesting.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

500,na not really. They go to 4.2 pretty easy, they boost to 4 the 4770k 4.2 stock.
Overclocking is easier than you think.
For motherboards pick the one you like the look of and features you need. They are all about the same with in comparable price range