scarlett 2i2 noob

doits

First of all I know a y splitter used to combine two audio signals is bad. But until now it has worked fine. So I just got the scarlett 2i2 with an xlr mic and it sounds great. I'm unsure how to use the inputs for other things besides a mic. I put an aux cable from my ipod into a 1/4 adapter then plugged into scarlett and got sounds, but it was missing the low end. How do I plug a stereo connection into it like a ghetto mixer.(I think stereo to mono adapter works)

I also use a o2+odac is there any way to tie the two together(using o2 as dac from pc and scarlett as mic input for monitoring). I'm currently using a 2 f to 1m y cable to combine them and I get a whine and static in the background. All cables are good the whine and degraded volume just comes when both o2 and 2i2 are plugged into y(one at a time is fine in either side of y). Oh and the y split goes into pyle headphone amp splitter.

TLDR:

How do I combine 2i2 and o2 outputs into one signal?

Can I input an aux stereo cable into 2i2 like mixer?

Should I return the 2i2 and just get a mixer?

Would splitting audio into l/r mono, then into a mono multi channel line mixer,  combine both signals into a single stereo signal?http://www.amazon.com/Nady-MM-242-Channel-Mini-Mixer/dp/B0009XH4HU/ref=sr_1_12?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1441336857&sr=1-12&keywords=audio+mixer

If I should get a mixer what are some suggestions?(around price of 2i2, 2-3 stereo inputs, 1mic inputs, lag free monitoring)

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

There should be no reason you should ever be plugging an iPod into a 2i2. It is not a headset or a standard DAC, it's an interface for analog inputs. You can force it with the Y splitter, but it will always sound like crap, just no. Play your music from your PC over USB.

Also I see no situation in which "tying the two together" with your O2 would be feasable, nor make any sense. You can use the 2i2 for microphone/instrument inputs, then use the O2 for actual audio playback (other than when in ASIO mode like in Adobe Audition.) Just assign the devices in Windows - 2i2 input, O2 output.

So unless you're using it for microphones/instruments over Line or XLR, return the FocusRite 2i2. You're doing it wrong.

Even with a mixer, you shouldn't be running an iPod to it. You're combining AC and DC signals and even with a ground loop isolator or two, you're going to end up with distortion, static, and electrical noise, and potentially short something out.

I have no clue what the heck you're possibly trying to accomplish with this spaghetti monster, but you're doing it all wrong.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

oh ma god, the spaghetti monster. I'm super dumb I should just set the 2i2 for recording and o2 for playback. I got confused since they both have a dac and thought instrument/mic line is compatible with an audio line out. Ok so does the lag free monitoring work over usb? Or do I have to be plugged into the headphone jack of 2i2? Thanks for untangling the monster, and like I said this is my first audio interface so I'm still learning ins and outs.

edit: The reason I used an ipod for music is because it is the easiest way to change songs while playing games without alt tab.

tldr: Does monitoring work over usb or how do I tie it into main pc sound?

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply I'll look into a usb mixer.