Watchdog violation when opening Photoshop - even after a clean install?

fireflux

Hi there, thanks for clicking!

My PC is

Intel i5 4690K OC'd 5GHz

8GB 2400MHz DDR3 RAM

120GB Sandisk SSD

Gigabyte Z97 Motherboard

Gigabyte AMD R9 280X Windforce 3x

Corsair 750W Power Supply

I've been having a problem where my computer runs perfectly fine with high end games and software with the exception of the Adobe CC 2015 suite. I've used it extensively before with the same PC so the sudden change has baffled me. Here's an exact description of what happens.

>Double click Photoshop (or any of the CC suite)

>Splash screen

>Photoshop will freeze

>Mouse will freeze

>":(" BSOD with a description error, "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"

After numerous failed searches, I decided something that was probably deep in the registry/system files had corrupted, and it was more effort than it was worth to hunt it down and eliminate it like Liam Neeson from Taken. So having formatted the SSD, and reinstalled a brand new copy of Windows 8 on it, I assumed I was in the clear.

I was wrong.

Exactly the same thing happens, and I'm very confused as to why. I've updated to the latest graphics drivers (as advised to someone else having the same problem) but I am still getting this error. Windows tells me the driver for the SSD is up to date.

I also spotted someone say they fixed the error by messing with their voltages, but not being a BIOS pro and having bad experiences screwing with the BIOS before, I decided against it. Could it be something to do with undervolted components that don't get enough power when Photoshop opens? (Voltages are all set to Auto)

Thank you so much for your help! I really need this software for my second year of University! (And I used it all of last year too!)

Hi there, thanks for clicking!

My PC is

Intel i5 4690K OC'd 5GHz

8GB 2400MHz DDR3 RAM

120GB Sandisk SSD

Gigabyte Z97 Motherboard

Gigabyte AMD R9 280X Windforce 3x

Corsair 750W Power Supply

I've been having a problem where my computer runs perfectly fine with high end games and software with the exception of the Adobe CC 2015 suite. I've used it extensively before with the same PC so the sudden change has baffled me. Here's an exact description of what happens.

>Double click Photoshop (or any of the CC suite)

>Splash screen

>Photoshop will freeze

>Mouse will freeze

>":(" BSOD with a description error, "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"

After numerous failed searches, I decided something that was probably deep in the registry/system files had corrupted, and it was more effort than it was worth to hunt it down and eliminate it like Liam Neeson from Taken. So having formatted the SSD, and reinstalled a brand new copy of Windows 8 on it, I assumed I was in the clear.

I was wrong.

Exactly the same thing happens, and I'm very confused as to why. I've updated to the latest graphics drivers (as advised to someone else having the same problem) but I am still getting this error. Windows tells me the driver for the SSD is up to date.

I also spotted someone say they fixed the error by messing with their voltages, but not being a BIOS pro and having bad experiences screwing with the BIOS before, I decided against it. Could it be something to do with undervolted components that don't get enough power when Photoshop opens? (Voltages are all set to Auto)

Thank you so much for your help! I really need this software for my second year of University! (And I used it all of last year too!)

unstable oc. bing it down a notch. 5ghz is a lot for a 4690k

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Thanks for the replies :)

I reverted my clock back to 3.50GHz (stock) and disabled fast boot but the issue still remains.   :(

I've now reset the MOBO to its default settings, still the same. Can anyone help? :)