Does your educational place use PC or Mac for Media?

spyder

both. most are windows, be we also have a few Macs.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Dont even get me started on this, dont even go there. No.

Aim high, hit low. - Oliver Guy (Me)

If you can't make it good, at least make it look good. - Bill Gates

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

there is a process to secure any equipment, materials or supplies for educational

institutions. most use a bidding application to supply one or all locations within a

district and that the apple platform (ecosystem) is uniform and in most cases can

be discounted for large purchases. the PC platform is too proliferated with options,

availability and configurations (hardware/software) support that is too vast for a

department to worry about failures and inconsistencies. not saying apple is more/less

consistent, but more uniformed and easier to get a "deal" over the PC (too many

variables, with no internal tech support to point the buyers in a direction of no worries).

That actually makes darn sense now, if the schools were to buy custom built then support will be crazy to deal with thats why they go down the OEM route especially if the company is willing to offer discount on software which is good for the school. 

Chromebooks... I'm using one as we speak :P

In our programming lab we have Dell Optiplex 32xx series with i5 4460s and some forum of quadros. As for the rest of the school Dell optiplex 745s with Pentium Ds, going to upgrade to q6600s apparently soon so that's nice.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

My school uses Surface Pro 3s, though I personally use a dell 2 in 1 (not the dell in my sig, that's my personal laptop) with a pentium quad core.

Works pretty well.

You could run these apps on PC's with decent specs unless they get some huge bulk discount on the iMacs, I still see no reason why we should use one.

Have you ever seen a PC "with decent specs" in a school that wasn't a Mac? I work in a school, every PC I've ever seen has been an i3 with no discrete GPU. It stands to reason that they do get a better discount on decently specced Macs than they would on a bunch of i7s with discete graphics from Dell.

I like my school, our editing rigs have i7 4770's and GTX 770's :D we have 2 21.5" iMacs though.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

My school has iMacs and some macbook pros for media and music (we occasionally use them for garageband), while for pretty much everything else they have small hp computers mounted on the back of monitors.

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

Have you ever seen a PC "with decent specs" in a school that wasn't a Mac? I work in a school, every PC I've ever seen has been an i3 with no discrete GPU. It stands to reason that they do get a better discount on decently specced Macs than they would on a bunch of i7s with discete graphics from Dell.

I wish we had custom rigs though, I just cant even adapt myself to using OSX at all for some reason, I am not a big fan of the bog standard mice they supply as well as the small tiny keyboard too. 

We have small for, factor Dell Optiplex. Some have i7-2600s and some have i7-4790s. The i7-4790 one has 8GBs of ram, TB HDD.

Oh and Macs.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

This was years ago, but my primary/elementary school used some old apple macintosh(probably the 1990 model)and in my final year they upgraded to the original iMac(1998 model). Lets just say they were quite a bit behind the times already... considering it was 2002 by then.

While my secondary/high school used Windows PC, running Windows XP, so they were a bit more up to date.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Good look finding Apple products in European schools, lol.

We aren't that dumb ;)

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Good look finding Apple products in European schools, lol.

We aren't that dumb ;)

My college use Macs, so we must be dumb. 

we need macs!

I wish we had custom rigs though, I just cant even adapt myself to using OSX at all for some reason, I am not a big fan of the bog standard mice they supply as well as the small tiny keyboard too. 

I hear those complaints from people who use OSX as their main PC. It just comes with the territory of using something else. Get used to it, it's good to learn new things.

My college use Macs, so we must be dumb. 

no you aren't they are best for education and stuff like that.

PCs with i5 4670S's and 16GB of ram

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

My school uses iMacs from 2009 with a Core 2 Duo and some 9000M class GPU from Nvidia.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

For media entailed subjects, I don't understand why educational institutions use an iMac over a PC? 

Like one of the subjects I started involves using an iMac (21.5) for use with programs such as Photoshop CS6, Adobe dreamweaver as well as After Effects. 

You could run these apps on PC's with decent specs unless they get some huge bulk discount on the iMacs, I still see no reason why we should use one.

I prefer the PC, since I am so familiar with it, used the iMac today, and I was just baffled with all the keyboard different shortcuts there are, it just felt weird to use one. 

I just started college not long ago and found out we have to use iMacs to create a log book and I was like, "How the hell do you use this?" I've never used a Mac in my life before :P

I just started college not long ago and found out we have to use iMacs to create a log book and I was like, "How the hell do you use this?" I've never used a Mac in my life before :P

Exactly the same response I showed when I had to use the iMac

I go to Bu and for engineering we get xeon based computers and media get's both Pc and Mac depending on their type of work

Ew, BU (#BC)

But same deal, both Mac and PC.. Pretty much everyone uses Apple laptops at BC 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Ew, BU (#BC)

But same deal, both Mac and PC.. Pretty much everyone uses Apple laptops at BC 

You do know i'm talking about Bournemouth University in england xD Not one of the american ones :3 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

My 61 year old dad bought a Mac mini almost two years ago (on my suggestion :) ) and he had never touched one prior. He's doing just fine.

If he can do it, you can, too. ;)

mostly PC for me, since I did the game dev study..

but in the designing class rooms they had a ton Macs

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Windows workstations. I'm at the engineering faculty though so no photographic work. Mostly cad and it

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*