SSHD vs SSD?

c_marriott
Go to solution Solved by EliasNM,

I was thinking maybe I could find a cheap sandisk one on ebay or something.

I'm a bit stuck really. I want to spend as little as possible but get the best for my money

Try a 128SSD then, if you have a WD passport carry it with you, you'll need the extra space, there are external enclosures if you want to "throw" around your external HDD around.

I need a new drive for my laptop as my current one is slowly going.

I recently asked about HDD vs SSD but I remembered about a thing called SSHD.

Here are the two drives I'm looking at:

http://www.ebuyer.com/411692-kingston-120gb-ssdnow-v300-2-5inch-ssd-sv300s37a-120g

http://www.ebuyer.com/480300-seagate-500gb-solid-state-hybrid-drive-sshd-st500lm000

What would you all recommend? It will be for school work and casual interneting. A lot of work will be saved on the USB but I feel like the 120GB storage won't be enough overall?

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

Also what is a cheap but reliable USB for school work and videos?

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

SSHD is the one. Faster than a HDD and more capacity than an SSD. I had one and it worked amazing.

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

SSHD is the one. Faster than a HDD and more capacity than an SSD. I had one and it worked amazing.

How reliable are they? My laptop will be in my bag so it maybe hit a round a bit and when I drop my bag etc. Will the mechanical drive be okay?

-

Also what is a cheap but reliable USB for school work and videos?

For both space and speed combined you can aim for an SSHD, though my advice initially would be an SSD, 500GB should be good in terms of size and storage, or to answer both questions in one, get an SSD and use a WD My passport you can pick up a 1TB for a good price and have speed and storage but combined for your needs. I would highly recommend the passport for school because of it security features built in.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

For both space and speed combined you can aim for an SSHD, though my advice initially would be an SSD, 500GB should be good in terms of size and storage, or to answer both questions in one, get an SSD and use a WD My passport you can pick up a 1TB for a good price and have speed and storage but combined for your needs. I would highly recommend the passport for school because of it security features built in.

I can only afford up to £50 as I am on a strict budget right now. I do have a WD HDD but I don't really like to carry it around much. 

I can only afford up to £50 as I am on a strict budget right now. I do have a WD HDD but I don't really like to carry it around much. 

Then an SSHD will fit both your needs and budget.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Then an SSHD will fit both your needs and budget.

My only concern is the fact its mechanical and I will be moving it around a lot, will it be safe in my bag which will be dropped from short heights, shaken etc.

My only concern is the fact its mechanical and I will be moving it around a lot, will it be safe in my bag which will be dropped from short heights, shaken etc.

It should last for a while, if you can spare an extra £10 then you could pick up a decent 240GB SSD.

It should last for a while, if you can spare an extra £10 then you could pick up a decent 240GB SSD.

I'm a bit stuck really. I want to spend as little as possible but get the best for my money

Try a 128SSD then, if you have a WD passport carry it with you, you'll need the extra space, there are external enclosures if you want to "throw" around your external HDD around.

Guess so, it is a lot cheaper and reliable. I do have a 32GB USB ready to put school work on. I think I will see if I can get a bit more for a 240GB so I can have the extra space

Thanks for the help