Samsung launches Car Mode for Galaxy

jos
Samsung has announced a new "Car Mode for Galaxy" app for its phones which will bring a number of the phone's apps to car dashboards, in a new partnership with BMW and Volkswagen. The way it works will be similar to Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto: You plug your phone into the car via USB and the car's screen will transform into something not unlike your phone's screen. Samsung is using a version of MirrorLink technology to do it.

The new collaboration with BMW will also see cars integrate with Samsung's increasingly-central SmartThings app for controlling IoT devices. Using the SmartThings app you'll be able to check your car's diagnostics, and even lock and unlock the car remotely.

Samsung says that the partnership also means integration with the clunkily named Volkswagen Car-Net e-Remote app, which let's you see where your car is parked on your smartwatch - as well as unlock or lock remotely using the watch too.

samsungcar-620x349.png

Now your phone comes with 2 techs for car android auto and samsung car mode... anyway hope this will be cheaper to buy individually than the alternative..

Source: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/09/samsung-goes-full-throttle-towards-catching-up-with-apples-carplay/

Yet another samsung exclusive tech that is useless to people who don't want to use a samsung phone. I really hate that they are doing this type of stuff. They need to work with google and other manufacturers to come up with a standard that everyone can use, rather than an exclusive tech that is useless to other android phones.

Yet another samsung exclusive tech that is useless to people who don't want to use a samsung phone. I really hate that they are doing this type of stuff. They need to work with google and other manufacturers to come up with a standard that everyone can use, rather than an exclusive tech that is useless to other android phones.

It's a business, not a charity... Google shares their innovations with everyone so that they can spread their products to everyone. How can you expect a corporation to do anything else?

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Hear hear! Give us a universal car mode standard that every cell phone manufacturer can choose to use. And "every" also includes Apple and Microsoft/Nokia

Why doesn't samsung just hop on the android car thingy? They are using android OS anyway.

That is something I personally don't get about them, they use a 3rd party open source OS but go the sameway as apple with closing down and making stuff exclusive. I wonder how they do that when Tizen comes out and they can't hop on the android boat for linking stuff.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

sony had this function for Xperia for YEARS now.... no, its not exclusive. 

Please share how you can check your car's diagnostics and remote start your car from a LG app?

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Its like samsung is attempting to be new apple, with exclusive stuff like this and their Tizen watch os. <-- I dont know what android wear ever did to them?

read my post again. then again. then again. then again.

notice the brands, specifically.

Thanks for not answering my question. I'm sorry you're wrong? But Sony has no tech that lets you fully integrate with your car. There may be 3rd party apps that achieve this, but what does Sony offer as an out of the box solution?

Thanks for not answering my question. I'm sorry you're wrong? But Sony has no tech that lets you fully integrate with your car. There may be 3rd party apps that achieve this, but what does Sony offer as an out of the box solution?

their solution is limited, mostly to GPS syncing and some music services...

aaaand it doesnt work with all cars... got it to work with my Renault, but not a chance in hell with a Mitsubishi....

aaaand it doesnt work with all cars... got it to work with my Renault, but not a chance in hell with a Mitsubishi....

Just realized I said LG at first. I was looking at my LG G R watch while I was typing... My bad. Looking forward to this tech, but does me no good since I don't plan on buying the new Note 5, and it doesn't work for Mercedes yet.

will it support apple and google?

cause with some new cars

you can use apple car play and Google car. with the same car

I see compatibility falling much more on the phone makers than the car makers.  If I don't like the way my phone works, I can afford to just get a new phone.  Most people can afford a new phone once a year, maybe every other year.  Very few people can afford to just get a new car because their phone doesn't integrate well.  Thus the need to be compatible falls on the cheaper and more easily replaced product.

Yes, compatibility will be a purchase consideration when someone does actually get a new car, but the car has significant other purchase factors that are often significantly more important than if it works with your phone.

It's no different to all the exclusive it's apps it's just what happens when you have the leading brand. Two highest selling brands are Sony and apple so apps are built around them it's just how it is. Happily I am a Samsung fan boy so it suits me perfectly :)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Plenty of phones have car mode but that only applies to the UI of the phone, rather than the car itself. Also, afaik, sony is the only manufacturer that also makes car infotainment systems, so it makes sense that they would have that ability. But this is just samsung trying to make it so you have to purchase their devices to get the optimal experience in your car. 

My LG from 2011 has a damn car mode! Geez Samsung keep up! You are falling behind...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon