What killed IPv6 as a mainstream protocol?

linuxfan66

What killed IPv6 as a mainstream protocol?

It seems to me to be apathy resulting from existing systems not originally built for it.(and a lack of appropriate consumer hardware for years)

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

The same reasons the cinema standard is 24fps. Adoption refusal... 

Nothing killed it, its still required and is being roled out VERY slowly. But usual humans we leave it until we really REALLY need it (aka no IPV4 left) and then we will rush to upgrade legacy devices to IPV6.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It's not adoption refusal, just adoption laziness. There's really no choice other than to accept IPv6, just that adoption is going slow as balls.

It's not dead. It's propagating slowly due to how it works differently from IPv4

ISPs need to add compatibility first, which is a multi-billion dollar task

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

It wa never mainstream, they never changed

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Nothing killed it, its still required and is being roled out VERY slowly. But usual humans we leave it until we really REALLY need it (aka no IPV4 left) and then we will rush to upgrade legacy devices to IPV6.

Which is why I said mainstream and not enterprise....

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

no its just because its the smallest ammount of frames needed to make something looks smooth.  wich ends up with less data required for movie making. wich means easier workflow .......

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

no its just because its the smallest ammount of frames needed to make something looks smooth. wich ends up with less data required for movie making. wich means easier workflow .......

3d and the hobbit?

It certainly isn't dead, but it's just no being rolled out rapidly because there is a cost to change over from IPv4. we have pretty much run out of IPv4 addresses, so IPv6 is going to start to become more utilizes as time goes on.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

3d and the hobbit?

for normal movies

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

IPv4 ubiquity.

nothing killed it because it isn't dead. its just that why take out the 10 passenger van instead of the motorcycle when you only have one person.

there are more possible addresses in ipv6 so as we run out of ipv4 addresses ( happening now ) they will be forced to make the switch to ipv6

no its just because its the smallest ammount of frames needed to make something looks smooth.  wich ends up with less data required for movie making. wich means easier workflow .......

Film making classes at the moment on brainwashing the idea into student head that 24fps is somehow superior to higher values and closer to real life. 

What makes you think it's dead? It's just not fully rolled out yet. Stuff like this takes a long time.

I was referring to mainstream consumer use and I should point it would be perfect for mobile data networks because you wouldn't need a proxy as every single individual device could have its own ip without risking IPv4 stocks

No consumers need it - ipv4 is fine for up to 16777214 hosts for class a, 65534 hosts for class b and 254 hosts for class c

Film making classes at the moment on brainwashing the idea into student head that 24fps is somehow superior to higher values and closer to real life. 

idk about now. but I do know that its based on an old problem of film makers going at different framerates, with problems since the audio and film were not in sync. then they put this standart so that everyone would be on the same page. all the time.

I was referring to mainstream consumer use and I should point it would be perfect for mobile data networks because you wouldn't need a proxy as every single individual device could have its own ip without risking IPv4 stocks

You dont need it for that either :)

You can just use NAT and a statefull firewall, then 1 WAN ip becomes 65000-ish usable ports, which (depending on settings) could translate to 1300 users, if they all get 50 sesseions each (which almost no phones or mobile broadband use).

You dont need it for that either :)

You can just use NAT and a statefull firewall, then 1 WAN ip becomes 65000-ish usable ports, which (depending on settings) could translate to 1300 users, if they all get 50 sesseions each (which almost no phones or mobile broadband use).

Nat violates the webs end to end connection design.... And that's why they are trying to wipe it out.

I do think nat has a place in v6 but not on the Carrier network just private networks entering the wan.(I think a proper firewall is a better option though)

Nat violates the webs end to end connection design.... And that's why they are trying to wipe it out.

I do think nat has a place in v6 but not on the Carrier network just private networks entering the wan.(I think a proper firewall is a better option though)

I know the implications if you want to be able to access the device from both ends, but really, noone else but NSA should be interested in that.

NAT and firewalls give an extra layer of protection.

Yes, some carriers usses NAT.

idk about now. but I do know that its based on an old problem of film makers going at different framerates, with problems since the audio and film were not in sync. then they put this standart so that everyone would be on the same page. all the time.

If I recall really old film was at 16fps :P. then to 24. Modern theater technology can easily transition to 48, I just blame the film industry tards. 

My point still stands. It's not dead, it's just not fully implemented.

Half of the planet is still using phone lines and fiber ain't dead. From what I know the core of the internet is already IPv6, so it's ISPs who are slacking.

Don't forget that there is an 80% chance that your ISP provided modem is IPv4 only. Imagine now ISPs having to replace say 100k modems in 3 months. How much money would that cost them?

Half of the planet is still using phone lines and fiber ain't dead. From what I know the core of the internet is already IPv6, so it's ISPs who are slacking.

Don't forget that there is an 80% chance that your ISP provided modem is IPv4 only. Imagine now ISPs having to replace say 100k modems in 3 months. How much money would that cost them?

And more importantly, how much of that cost would be offloaded onto customers who are probably already paying too much