MIPS64-based Loongson processors.. China's answer to X86 and ARM

jos
Loongson-3A2000 and 3B2000 are 4-way superscalar processors built on a 9-stage, super-pipelined architecture with in-order execution units, two floating-point units, a memory management unit, and an innovative crossbar interconnect. 

loongson-a4.jpg

The 3B series also features Loongson-3B1500, a MIPS64-based superscalar processor clocked at 1.5GHz; platforms integrating an octa-core 3B1500 configuration can deliver up to 192 GFLOPS of peak performance at only 30W.

64-bit-CPU-performance-AMD-Intel-ARM-MIP

The new GS464E architecture counts over 1,400 instructions grouped under a set called LoongISA; these instructions include:

MIPS64 Release 3 instructions for high-performance, general-purpose computing
LoongBT, a binary translation technology that enables developers to run x86 and ARM code
LoongVM instructions for custom virtual machines
LoongSIMD instructions for 128- and 256-bit vector arithmetic operations
All Loongson CPUs run LOONGNIX, an open source distribution of Linux optimized for the GS464E architecture

China is a big processor market, but if they plan to use this for all their computational need then it will hit the semiconductor industry.. Planing this move ahead intel had heavily invested in Chinese semiconductor companies. 

Eh.

I still prefer i386, even if it is less powered, it is more ubiquitous.

Ooooooh, cool. I want one. Can I have one? :D

(Sorry, when I see a new, cool CPU, all my logic goes out the window, replaced by a blind desire to obtain one regardless of the cost and usability.)

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

RMS will probably be happy about this. Last time I heard from him he used a Lemote Yeelong laptop with some Loongson chip.

The upgrade would be massive.

I guess this is China's response to the US restricting american companies from selling server chips to china

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I guess this is China's response to the US restricting american companies from selling server chips to china

Yep, that was my first thought too, when I wasn't fanboying over a new CPU that's useless to me.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

So does this mean Intel may have some actual competition soon?

naah...

want to know why?

Most of the world do not understand Chinese..... we cannot use Chinese linux... we cannot program for china.

Also... you think the US would import communist technology when they can just use their own, superior one?

Are you joking?  Mainland Mandarin is one of the most widely spoken in the world.

Its ranked first in fail-pedia because india, which was a british colony for quite some time arent counted, among some other countries... this is despite these countries considering english an official language and that it is taught in school...

Outside of Asia, there is but a say a hundred million people max, who can understand ADVANCED chinese, one thing is asking for where the toilet is, or how much a beer costs. Another thing is technical jargong.......that is by far NOT "most widely spoken"

English is understood, and used by aproximatly 1.5 billion people either as a native, secondary native or educational language, most likely A LOT more. Hell, if you count india alone, which was a british colony until the 1950s or so, then you got probably 500+ millions just there who speak the language, as it IS official and IS tought in school.

Its ranked first in fail-pedia because india, which was a british colony for quite some time arent counted, among some other countries... this is despite these countries considering english an official language and that it is taught in school...

Outside of Asia, there is but a say a hundred million people max, who can understand ADVANCED chinese, one thing is asking for where the toilet is, or how much a beer costs. Another thing is technical jargong.......that is by far NOT "most widely spoken"

English is understood, and used by aproximatly 1.5 billion people either as a native, secondary native or educational language, most likely A LOT more. Hell, if you count india alone, which was a british colony until the 1950s or so, then you got probably 500+ millions just there who speak the language, as it IS official and IS tought in school.

That is a good point, however I still think that you could be able to code for it in x86 in English as well.

Yet economically China is the most important country in Asia. In other words: see how you mention British colonies and cultural importance as the basis for your English argument? The same will probably be said for Mandarin and Cantonese due do the fact that the way things are going since all countries will be forced to do business with China if they take over as the most powerful economy in the world, something entirely within the realm of possibilities.

-------

Current Rig

-------

As Intel stopped Nvidia from emulating x86, they will probably try to stop x86 emulation here as well, but I guess there's nothing they can do, so long as they don't try to sell it outside of China. I wonder if they got an architectual licence for ARM.

As Intel stopped Nvidia from emulating x86, they will probably try to stop x86 emulation here as well, but I guess there's nothing they can do, so long as they don't try to sell it outside of China. I wonder if they got an architectual license for ARM.

This aint emulation.

They made their own instruction set. Thus intel got jack shit on them. You cannot stop people from making their own product, even if the result is the same.

China did what everyone else does when they want to avoid being sued... Make a product that does the same, just differently enough to not BE the same.

Yet economically China is the most important country in Asia. In other words: see how you mention British colonies and cultural importance as the basis for your English argument? The same will probably be said for Mandarin and Cantonese due do the fact that the way things are going since all countries will be forced to do business with China if they take over as the most powerful economy in the world, something entirely within the realm of possibilities.

China will never overtake the US, because the US is one of the biggest exporters and importers there is.

China is already struggling with its economy.

Remember the 90s? Japan did EXACTLY what China did. They exploded and was the second largest economy in the world, they even got slightly closer to overthrow the US as the biggest economy. But their own, local economy couldnt handle this growth. The result was a collapse in the real-estate market (similar to 2008 US bank crisis. Just not as global). Their economy simply imploded due to internal instability. Now Japan is still a massive economy world wide (third i think). But they are unable to grow, they simply exist as a "constant" due to their own internal issues still not being resolved.

This aint emulation.

They made their own instruction set. Thus intel got jack shit on them. You cannot stop people from making their own product, even if the result is the same.

China did what everyone else does when they want to avoid being sued... Make a product that does the same, just differently enough to not BE the same.

It is emulation. They are using an translation layer, to translate binary x86 or ARM into an internally understood format.

Did china make MIPS64 ISA?

Intel got jack shit on them because it is a foreign government, known to have little care of IP.

Nvidia couldn't have made this product..

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

This aint emulation.

Binary translation is a form of emulation. Sure, they can't stop them from making this, but they could stop them from enabling x86 emulation if China actually wanted to sell this in a country in which US patents are enforcable.

Also, they didn't make this ISA, but they got a legit licence for MIPS.

LoongBT, a binary translation technology that enables developers to run x86 and ARM code

They just dropped the bomb. *'murica readies nukes*

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I want a 16 core version of that at 3ghz at the price of i5 cause its chinese made lol.