Should I be worried?

wAHf8yY.png

It haz important stuffz on it  :unsure:

I would start making a back up just in case. It could last another 5 min or it could last another month or more.

-アパゾ

I would start making a back up just in case. It could last another 5 min or it could last another month or more.

Google Drive comes in handy now :)

~snip~

Hey there JelleDekkers,

the Reallocated Sectors count indicate the potential bad sectors count. Starting to have those means that the drive will inevitably fail sooner or later. Bad sectors are physical scratches on the platter and can't be repaired by any software. They can be isolated and prolong the life of the drive (with chkdsk /r from the cmd) but the drive will eventually fail. Those scratches are forming small air pockets that cause the read/write head to bounce up and down whenever it hovers over them and it eventually lands again on the platter, causing more bad sectors. This is why drives fail from this. :) I would recommend backing up the data and replacing the drive. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there JelleDekkers,

the Reallocated Sectors count indicate the potential bad sectors count. Starting to have those means that the drive will inevitably fail sooner or later. Bad sectors are physical scratches on the platter and can't be repaired by any software. They can be isolated and prolong the life of the drive (with chkdsk /r from the cmd) but the drive will eventually fail. Those scratches are forming small air pockets that cause the read/write head to bounce up and down whenever it hovers over them and it eventually lands again on the platter, causing more bad sectors. This is why drives fail from this. :) I would recommend backing up the data and replacing the drive. :)

Captain_WD.

I don't actually like this  :unsure:

I don't actually like this  :unsure:

I'm sorry for the bad experience. HDDs generally are mechanical units and failures do happen for one reason or another. It is always recommended that you have backups on different drives of everything important just to be on the safe side during such occasions. 
Do back up our info and run chkdsk /r from the CMD so you can prolong the drive's live a bit.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

I'm sorry for the bad experience. HDDs generally are mechanical units and failures do happen for one reason or another. It is always recommended that you have backups on different drives of everything important just to be on the safe side during such occasions. 
Do back up our info and run chkdsk /r from the CMD so you can prolong the drive's live a bit.

Captain_WD.

How much time do you think it has?

Impossible to say. Like I said earlier it could die tomorrow or it could die in a months time. It all depends when the OS decides its no longer gonna put up with bad sectors.

-アパゾ

You should always have your data backed up as if the drive storing it will die tomorrow.

As @APasz explained, there's no way to tell if the drive will last months before failing or it will go after a few hours. As I pointed out, the bounces of the read/write head can result in more bad sectors every time it hovers over one, but not necessarily every time. Moreover, you never know where on the platter will the next bad sector appear - if it's on a place with a system file, the OS will crash irreversibly. 

Captain_WD.

its not terrible at the moment, i would keep a backup of it though and keep an eye out to see if it keeps getting worse

As @APasz explained, there's no way to tell if the drive will last months before failing or it will go after a few hours. As I pointed out, the bounces of the read/write head can result in more bad sectors every time it hovers over one, but not necessarily every time. Moreover, you never know where on the platter will the next bad sector appear - if it's on a place with a system file, the OS will crash irreversibly. 

Captain_WD.

I only use the drive for the page file and "stuff". will the OS still crash?

I only use the drive for the page file and "stuff". will the OS still crash?

If the OS decides that the drive has too many bad sectors due to too many retries on some of them, it will mark it as bad, but it shouldn't crash. But, if the drive contains the pagefile it might cause some problems, especially when you cap out your memory. 

Captain_WD.