I Need help.

tkom

Hey guys. So I'm kinda in a life predicament, not really but it's been bothering me. First off I make 21.50/hr as a cnc machinist. Decent pay right? But I don't enjoy it and I find computers more fun specially if I can make a living off it. Except I don't want to go to school because being in books I'm horrible at unless it's something that really interest me. Can anyone enlighten me on opportunities and possibilities for getting in the tech field? I know starting off can be a significant drop in pay but just how much? 22yrs old btw.

Your gonna need to go to school if you want to get paid well and get the tech job you want.

Even if you know alot about tech Employers prefer to see it in writing that you do know what you're talking about (Degree).

You don't have to go to college to be successful in doing what you love but it just takes longer and more dedication.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I understand that having certs and degrees are much more credible its just school was never for me really. My gpa in high school was shit. I was suppose to stay back 2 years but finished within a year. Plus the expenses and time for college is kinda difficult.

Are you looking to completely switch careers? Or do you want to just work with tech on the side/part-time? Because if it's the latter, it's far easier.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Some sort of degree or certificate is going to be required to make the same living as you do now in the tech feild. 

I'm not too sure about switching careers but I think part time would be fun. What do you mean the latter tho?

got any CNC programming experience?

usually machinists have access to tweak a job (in case of broken tool, wrong

material offsetting, feed/speed correction, etc..). entry level programmer is $45k,

experienced $65k, 3D 4-5 axis experience is $80k+. at least that what i made for

machinist/programmer. branched to design and prototyping.

Yeah that's what I meant. I program haas and doosans. Not heavy but lathes abd mills. Cnc grinders I can setup from scratch and maintain .0002 tolerance all day.

if you have access to your prog warez and can generate an output file for

a hort/vert 3/4/5 axis, there are many jobs available for those. even small

3d printer prototyping jobs to generate side money and then once you have

a profile/portfolio of experience, then a lot of majors will pay relocation and

bennies, just to have some golden worker. young fresh eyes are always a

demand.

vf3/4/5 (and if know how to repair them, too!) are always money makers.

talk to your haas rep about what it takes for repair training. i found out

we were paying major bucks to on-site repair, started repairing them myself

and pretty much charged half and put me into a higher tax bracket.